What should [i]we[/i] do about social/political safety stuff?

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

What should [i]we[/i] do about social/political safety stuff?

Postby 3WE » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Inspired by there, here's a break off thread about stuff that is not_directly related to the 737-Mini-Lav.

Here, ex NTSB chairperson James Hall says the FAA gives too much power to airlines and manufacturers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/13/opin ... unded.html

It's extremely likely that government funding is way off from the glory days.

on the other hand...

How wonderful of a job do regulatory agencies do- even with funding?

Interesting questions being asked in this feeding frenzy.

To conclude with some sad truth, I'm sure some movie star will die from a pain killer overdose in the next month and we will move on regarding what's popular.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

elaw

Re: What should [i]we[/i] do about social/political safety stuff?

Postby elaw » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Well, I'll give ya my opinion about letting corporations self-certify things like safety of airliners (and other things like food and drugs): are you familiar with that old expression about the fox guarding the henhouse? :roll:

I should add that I say that not *just* because of a distrust of corporations. One of Gabe's favorite topics, confirmation bias, also exists in organizations, both small and large. A company may honestly and truly believe their product is safe... having an outside "set of eyes" examine it may reveal something they are not able to see.
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Well, I'll give ya my opinion about letting corporations self-certify things like safety of airliners (and other things like food and drugs): are you familiar with that old expression about the fox guarding the henhouse? :roll:

I should add that I say that not *just* because of a distrust of corporations. One of Gabe's favorite topics, confirmation bias, also exists in organizations, both small and large. A company may honestly and truly believe their product is safe... having an outside "set of eyes" examine it may reveal something they are not able to see.
I agree with all of the above.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Gabiee and Ericee (paraphrased): "We want oversight"
Great. You guys and Evan wave your magic wand and make it so.

Like it our not- our wonderous government has been cutting regulatory funding for 35-ish years...the big shots get their big paycheck for a while and then get fired...while the peons flounder with crummy support.

I don't know how to reboot the while thing...

And then add in when you see gross failures of regulatory agencies (which has happened before and will happen again)...regulators drinking beer with employees...REGULATORS INSTALLING SCREWS ON INSPECTION PANELS BEFORE BRASILIAS FALL OUT OF THE SKY...…And it still sucks when I have to renew the license on the Vandelay Fertilizer Silverado 1500 corporate jet.

SOMETIMES- the fox does a better job guarding the henhouse than some government worker who isn't good enough to get hired by the fox, and thus he winds up at the regulatory agency.

3BS bottom line- it all SOUNDS good, but I worry about the REALITY
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”