Media vs. aeroplanie incidents

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Media vs. aeroplanie incidents

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:03 am

There surely are threads on this subject already, but I'm too lazy to search past the first page of results.

This one will surely be approved by 3WE :

https://tn.com.ar/internacional/un-pilo ... -el_989663

Basically, the pilot passed out and a vacationing/deadheading pilot was called in to assist the FO. But this article tries to make us think that the plane was doomed and was miraculously saved by a simple passenger. We are also unsure if the passengers did knoweded what was happening or Not_. Google Translate (semi-corrected and bolded by Not_Karlie):
A pilot passed out in mid-flight and the plane managed to land thanks to a passenger who took control
The unusual* episode occurred in Porto, Portugal. The passengers detailed that until they reached their destination, they did not find out what had happened.

Published: 08/27/2019, 13: 23hs.

The passengers of flight LS7G5, of the British airline Jet2, lived an unusual episode in the air. As they headed to the city of Funchal, on the paradisiacal Portuguese island of Madeira, they noticed that the plane had to divert its route because the pilot had passed out in the cockpit. Although the situation could have ended in a tragedy, thanks to one of the travelers who took control of the situation they managed to make an emergency landing.

According to a spokesman for the company, the desperate sequence occurred on Monday morning, after taking off from the Manchester airport. In a statement, they clarified that the plane landed "as it should be" by the co-pilot. However, people traveling on board detailed that one of the passengers was key in the procedure.

@ jet2tweets
 We would like to apologize to customers traveling on # LS765 from #Manchester to Funchal, #Madeira which has diverted into Porto, #Portugal due to an onboard medical situation. We are working to get you on your way ASAP. Please see our agents ‘Portway’ at Gate 2 for more info. Tx

8:48 - Aug 26 2019
Twitter Ads information and privacy
39 people are talking about this
Nicholas Banks, a bank worker who was on that flight, explained that this "star passenger" was another pilot of the Jet2 airline who was on vacation. For this reason, the hostesses asked for his help and allowed him to enter the cabin to attend the co-pilot.

Once they landed emergency in the city of Porto, the original pilot was taken in a wheelchair and with an oxygen mask. From the company they apologized through social networks, but avoided giving more details.

In a brief tweet, the airline commented that they had to land in another destination for a "medical situation", without making mention that thanks to a passenger they managed to get safe and sound.

Despite the secrecy of the company, several passengers spoke with the local press and confirmed the fact. "I saw a crew member speak directly with a passenger and he left his seat and headed to the cabin," said Tracey Jayne, a woman who had embarked with her family.

After landing in Porto, the airline said they sent a second plane so that tourists could be transferred to the original destination "as soon as possible".
*in Spanish was "insólito", we already discussed that word here.

AvieHearldie: http://avherald.com/h?article=4cc0a7a0&opt=0
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Re: Media vs. aeroplanie incidents

Postby 3WE » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:11 am

I don’t care about media accuracy.

I am devastated that I was not_on board to go help the pilot, utter acronyms, tell him how to properly pull up, OR if it were Flyboy, Dummy or ITS, I could monitor the transponder reply light and go get soft drinks and pretzels for the PNPO.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”