RJ Safety...

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

RJ Safety...

Postby 3WE » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:13 pm

Subjective and anecdotal: Yes.

Trumped by shitty safety culture: Generally Yes.

But I concur with the newbie there that RJs have a somewhat mysterious and discussion-worthy, awesome safety record.

...And, to be redundant, these things spend more time with less experienced pilots, on shorter hops, in more weather, often to less-busy, and less-equipped airports...

Bobby and Gabieee and TeeVee-eee-eee and Evanieee can go to hell.

More repetition: I do humourously ask if it is correlated to those goofy yokes, and perhaps lingering influence from our former neked ISGRJPOTM?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Re: RJ Safety...

Postby Gabriel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:31 pm

Actually I tend to agree. I have never seen statistics that prove it, but that seems to be the case based on "anecdotal evidence".

But, on the other hand, you have low-cost airlines like Southwest and Ryanair that are among the ones with more flights per day and they NEVER had a fatal accident crash, and they ONLY fly 737s.

But is it "on the other hand"? Or is it that a good part of their operations is similar to the typical RJ operation?

Another thought, on the same category of "lacking data". I claim that there are more airplanes of te 737 / A320 families in service than all the RJs combined. if true, that probably correlates to more flight hors per day. While this not necessarily translates to "more flights per day".

In short, as I said, I tend to agree with you but I would like to see factual data.

In any case, the safety record of transport category jets is unbelievable good across the board, and more so in "western" airlines and some other airlines that embraced a western safety culture.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:36 pm

(...)
Bidened by shitty safety culture(...)
(...) these things spend more time with less experienced, less dressed, less sober pilots, (...) and less-equipped, wood surrounded airports (...)
Updated and expanded.
(...)TeeVee-eee-eee (...) can go to hell.
Isn't he a lawyer? I think, based on his profession, he's pretty much guaranteed a fiery hell.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:14 pm

Expanding and branching:
But, on the other hand, you have low-cost airlines

-Most RJs only carry paint of the majors. They are operated by UBER LOW COST regional airlines- supposedly the ones that hire from puppy mills and pay poverty wages.

... they ONLY fly 737s. Like the max that dives, the nasty somatographic go arounds and reversing rudders and so forth

A3xx families- What’s it doing now, trimming trees? Cheap composite tail fins, pulling up the whole time and so forth.

factual data: Four one oh it dude, it sure is weird without runway lights...

In any case, the safety record of transport category jets is unbelievable good across the board...Yes, and a hell of a lot better that aeroplanies with propellers- although Cape Air seems to be quite the anecdote.
[Not_Karl’s comments]. Indeed.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:43 pm

But, on the other hand, you have low-cost airlines like Southwest and Ryanair that are among the ones with more flights per day and they NEVER had a fatal accident crash, and they ONLY fly 737s.
Southwest is not a low-cost, and they HAVE had a fatal crash.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:51 pm

Southwest is not a low-cost,
Well, they were, until the "traditional" airlines became even cheaper and more miserly that Southwest.
and they HAVE had a fatal crash.
Only fatalities that I remember are the woman in the uncontained engine accident and the boy in the car in Midway.
If you are thinking of one of those, then I think our understanding of what is an "airplane crash" are not aligned (for me a crash is not the same as an accident).

I might be missing some other accident that I am not aware or I don't remember.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:47 pm

Only fatalities that I remember are the woman in the uncontained engine accident and the boy in the car in Midway.
If you are thinking of one of those, then I think our understanding of what is an "airplane crash" are not aligned (for me a crash is not the same as an accident).
I really don't care where we don't align.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:11 pm

I really don't care where we don't align.
I guess if you crash a little ERJ through the fence there’s a slightly lower risk of not smashing cars on the road. Emphasis on “slightly”.

To date I haven’t heard of an RJ spraying its fuselage with fan blades...again, maybe itty bitty turbines are easier to contain? And non fatal incidents don’t make less news, so maybe not_.

By the way...who cares about the Dolphins, I’m rooting for the West Flyover Native American Settlement Figureheads. Sorry for the lack of alignment, flyboy.

Mr. Snappy
Your Forum Comrade

Postby Mr. Snappy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:14 am

Is not true

Is not drunk and naked
I like Mick Mouse

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”