Where can [i]we[/i] land a helicopter...

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Where can [i]we[/i] land a helicopter...

Postby 3WE » Mon May 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Interesting little article here:

According to a helichopter driving friend, he has great freedom to land and take off from his yard...(and he has endured some neighbor complaints.

And if you read the headline, and do some sentence parsing..'.charges because he was illegally flying'...(like without a license).

That he was going in and out of his back yard itself may not be illegal (other than you need a license for the flying part).

Further, the article really doesn't detail violations of back-yard landing as much as it details stealing and license revocation.

I'll do a little google work- and if something earth shattering comes up, I'll report back.

But, I bet a beer this article is not quite factually correct...I know the neighbors don't like it...but it's flying without a license that might be what's wrong here...not landing in the back yard, per se.
The media:

EAST BROOKFIELD (CBS) – An East Brookfield man is facing federal charges after investigators say he was illegally flying a helicopter in and out of his backyard for months.

Antonio Santonastaso, 59, will be arraigned Thursday afternoon in federal court in Worcester.

“We were nervous because he was flying low and fast,” said one neighbor.

Antonio Santonastaso after his arrest in 2000.

He was charged and convicted of stealing a helicopter from Norwood Airport in May of 2000 and lost his license to fly.

The helicopter Antonio Santonastaso was charged with stealing in 2000.

Prosecutors say he bought a used helicopter in Texas in February 2018. Three weeks later, a neighbor called investigators saying Santonastaso was flying the copter in and out of his backyard, close to the neighbor’s home.

Several neighbors began taking photos and videos of the flights as the Federal Aviation Administration began its probe.

Neighbor Karl Bjorklund said, “If anything went wrong, I don’t know where he’s going to go with it. He’s going to come over here or over there … I don’t know. It’s was loud, very noisy.

Antonio Santonastaso is accused of flying this helicopter out of his backyard in East Brookfield.

They concluded that Santonastaso took more than 50 flights between April 28, 2018 and November 11, 2018.

“When questioned by the FAA and federal agents, Santonastaso repeatedly made false statements regarding his eligibility to pilot the helicopter,” the U.S. Attorney said in a statement.

“Among other things, Santonastaso falsely claimed to have not learned that the FAA had revoked his license, and made false statements regarding his applications for a medical certificate, which is required in order to operate an aircraft. “

He’s now charged with one count of serving as an airman without an airman certificate and one count of making false statements to federal agents.

If convicted he faces up to five years in prison and a fine of $250,000.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl

Re: Where can [i]we[/i] land a helicopter...

Postby Not_Karl » Mon May 13, 2019 11:36 pm

Neighbor Karl...
Interesting.
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue May 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Neighbor Karl...
Interesting.
Do you ever regret your choice of userid?

Do you sometimes wonder if not_Half Bottle would have been more appropriate?

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Wed May 15, 2019 1:53 am

Maybe. But I'm still glad that I didn't choose "Not_ptbodale".
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed May 15, 2019 2:55 am

Maybe. But I'm still glad that I didn't choose "Not_ptbodale".
I think I know what you mean to say, but depending on how one uses logic, that is potentially disturbing.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Wed May 15, 2019 3:36 am

I think I know what you mean to say, but depending on how one uses logic, that is potentially disturbing.
... maybe I didnt think that through. *hides Nair bottle* :?

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”