CAP

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

KPryor

Re: CAP

Postby KPryor » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:17 pm

Not surprisingly, I was thoroughly lambasted for bringing them up as "they are irrelevant to her skills" (or something to that effect). I tried to explain (in vain, of course) that I was not trying to make a statement on her skills, but rather to talk about her state of mind and, as you pointed out, her priorities.
Unfortunate, and Indeed.

It is a no-win argument.

Do we KNOW? No. Are there correlations? Sometimes there are.
Concur. It's called totality of the circumstances. Is it proof in and of itself, no. But when put together with her apparent lack of focus and lack of skill, it does tend to infer that perhaps her mind was less about learning to fly and more about the overall coolness of flying.
I went to prison for murder, but I stayed for the chili!

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:37 am

Maybe, maybe not. Society trains women to care about their appearance, so one thinks about it differently. It can be a sign of identifying with the role and taking it seriously, for example.

(Arguably society also trains women to care less, or perhaps men to care more, about symbols and regalia and silly uniforms -- men are far more likely to go play dressup as soldiers on the weekend or the like to make themselves feel important. To say nothing of fraternal lodges...)

KPryor

Postby KPryor » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Maybe, maybe not. Society trains women to care about their appearance, so one thinks about it differently. It can be a sign of identifying with the role and taking it seriously, for example.

(Arguably society also trains women to care less, or perhaps men to care more, about symbols and regalia and silly uniforms -- men are far more likely to go play dressup as soldiers on the weekend or the like to make themselves feel important. To say nothing of fraternal lodges...)
Concur. Very valid points.
I went to prison for murder, but I stayed for the chili!

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Concur. Very valid points.
A TREND, maybe. However, per Flyboy's previous comment, there's that linkage that detailed oriented airplane operators will carry-over to being detail-oriented uniform operators (regardless of sex).

And that correlation can sometimes be run in reverse. Other times, it derails when the focus is on appearance and not substance.

FLIPSIDE- There's just something not right about EXCESSIVE, glamour shots (regardless of sex). (How do we define excessive?)
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:59 pm

Heresy!

Modern strong, independent women care nothing about such archaic, patriarchal notions.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”