Wow this is sad

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

elaw

Wow this is sad

Postby elaw » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:50 pm

One of the strangest (currently existing) planes in the world looks like it's just being left to rot: https://www.odditycentral.com/travel/mo ... beach.html
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: Wow this is sad

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:12 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:40 am

I don't know if "we" would agree to call it a "plane" (as in short of airplane), but yes, still sad.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:25 am

I don't know if "we" would agree to call it a "plane" (as in short of airplane)
It flies by pushing air down, so...

“We” call it ground effect, except it’s not ground...

Oh the ironing (which is indeed showing some rust in the jetphotos).
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:39 pm

It bears mentioning that the vehicle in question is NOT the original Caspian Sea Monster. That "aircraft" was lost during a test flight all the way back in the seventies, with it's designer R. Alexeyev passing away that same year. The thing you see in the photos is the much later "Lun" ("Loon") strike version (see 6 missile launchers along the spine) which was intended to be built in several iterations (including SAR), but ended up among a number of late Soviet projects that fell by the wayside with the fall of the country.

Personally, I'm somewhat mixed on the whole idea of the ekranoplan, particularly a very large one. At any rate, as a pilot, I would be extremely uncomfortable in a vehicle doing 400-500kts at 15' off the water for hours on end. It would take very little for things to go very wrong when there is that little margin of error. I'm not sure that even today there are autopilots THAT precise, let alone 40-50 years ago, so it would have required hand-flying the whole time, which would have been extremely exhausting.

Alexeyev was responsible for a whole line of very successful high-speed river cruisers that were based on hydrofoils, so it must have seemed logical to him to increase speed by getting the vessel/aircraft out of the water altogether. He would go down in history together with Roberto Bartini as having come with some pretty revolutionary but not very practical designs.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:42 pm

Personally, I'm somewhat mixed on the whole idea of the ekranoplan, particularly a very large one. At any rate, as a pilot, I would be extremely uncomfortable in a vehicle doing 400-500kts at 15' off the water for hours on end. It would take very little for things to go very wrong when there is that little margin of error. I'm not sure that even today there are autopilots THAT precise, let alone 40-50 years ago, so it would have required hand-flying the whole time, which would have been extremely exhausting.
That's not how it works. Unlike airplanes flying in "free" air, the ekranoplan is inherently very stable in altitude and pitch, due to both the wing and stabilizer being strongly affected by ground effect (it's kind of like when planes in high density situations cannot climb pout of ground effect). It is not affected by the phugoid. It flies "hands off" keeping the altitude and pitch without control inputs (by a human or automatic pilot).

That said... an unexpected encounter with a very tall wave or a ship can be a real bad day.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:30 pm

That said... an unexpected encounter with a very tall wave or a ship can be a real bad day.
Or a giant squid.
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:24 am

That's not how it works. Unlike airplanes flying in "free" air, the ekranoplan is inherently very stable in altitude and pitch, due to both the wing and stabilizer being strongly affected by ground effect (it's kind of like when planes in high density situations cannot climb pout of ground effect). It is not affected by the phugoid. It flies "hands off" keeping the altitude and pitch without control inputs (by a human or automatic pilot).
OK, Gabriel. You try it, I'll watch.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:30 am

I wonder how hovercraft pilots manage to keep it barely inches off the surface, it must require a lot of attention and skills to constantly control and correct the altitude since no autopilot can do that.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:02 am

And how on Earth does an air hokey puck manage to remain a fraction of a millimeter off the table without an extremely skillful pilot there to control its altitude?

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:16 am

I wonder how hovercraft pilots manage to keep it barely inches off the surface, it must require a lot of attention and skills to constantly control and correct the altitude since no autopilot can do that.
1. MUCH lower speeds
2. Something soft and cushy to hit the surface with (which they do with some regularity).

I hope that helps.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:17 am

And how on Earth does an air hokey puck manage to remain a fraction of a millimeter off the table without an extremely skillful pilot there to control its altitude?
I'd be glad to tell you what to do with that air hockey puck, O The Beacon And Candle of Argentine Aeroengineering!

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”