Concorde sonic boom

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Concorde sonic boom

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:41 am

Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Re: Concorde sonic boom

Postby 3WE » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:35 pm

Ban all speed and military operation RESTRICTIONS.

As a child cowboy monkey idiot pilots would play with their F-4s from the Flyover F-4 McAeroplanie company. Air molecules were regularly abused.

Sadly, they are now more focused on McHamburgers.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 pm

Ban all speed and military operation RESTRICTIONS.
Concur! And bring back noisy turbinies!! :clap: :clap:
As a child cowboy monkey idiot pilots would play with their F-4s from the Flyover F-4 McAeroplanie company. Air molecules were regularly abused.

Sadly, they are now more focused on abusing their arteries.
Fixed.
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 am

Fun fact: I grew up just south west of Heathrow airport and we always heard Concorde overhead at about 11:08 AM. It was LOUD, I mean properly loud.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:20 pm

It was LOUD, I mean subsonicly loud.
Fixed

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:30 pm

Fixed
Disconcur. Subsonic McF-4s were also properly loud.

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Fixed
honest question, did you ever hear Concorde at close quarters in person? If not, you will not have heard anything like it. It is not like jet blast.
It is not like a sonic boom that is essentially just a bang, the noise rages for as long as the aircraft is near you.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:43 pm

Honest question, did you ever hear Concorde at close quarters in person?
No. I have never been anywhere close to a Concorde in operation.

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:22 pm

Honest question, did you ever hear Concorde at close quarters in person?
No. I have never been anywhere close to a Concorde in operation.
The experience was extremely memorable. The sound - and the feeling - is very, very difficult to describe. I have been fortunate enough in my life to have stood near (and I mean stupidly near) to Harrier Jump jets doing manouvers and VTOL, (in the 90s I worked for a big company which organized a private Harrier show for us at the summer party - they allowed us within about forty feet of it when it was doing its VTOL). I have marvelled at large military aircraft lumbering about, F-16 fighter jets and Russian Tupolevs at air shows. Hundreds of takeoffs and landings of large jets at Heathrow. Nothing - really nothing - has the same visceral impact as a Concorde. The sound has a crackling, deep nature - the brain finds it hard to comprehend how something so small (and I recommend a visit to the Edvar Hazy Smithsonian if you can get there to see one in person) can be so ear-splittingly, organ displacingly loud. It doesn't matter that it's subsonic, at 2000ft - (the altitude the plane would have been at when passing my parents house each day) the sound is utterly crushing.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:07 am

I once experienced a B-1 flyover in the middle of a cotton field in rural flyover. Low altitude practice I ass-ume. I thought, perhaps the world was ending. It was “properly” LOUD!!!!!

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:17 am

the brain finds it hard to comprehend how something so small (and I recommend a visit to the Edvar Hazy Smithsonian if you can get there to see one in person) can be so ear-splittingly, organ displacingly loud.
Oh, I walked around and was inside this Concorde, but never near one in operation.
https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/The-Intr ... 0Pier%2086.

My closest encounter with a really loud jet and its engines was bit weird.

December 1988 or January 1989. I was in Israel doing voluntary work in the Kibutz Gaaton (in exchange for food and shelter), harvesting grapefruit in a citric field that belonged to the Kibutz, when an F-4 Phantom decided to practice what seemed to be ground attack runs on us. It was 3 runs, each one lower than the previous. The last one was so low that it made me duck as I thought he was going to crash into the trees that were just a few meters tall.

It was very loud, but my strongest sensorial impression was distinguishing the pilot's helmet and its colors. After that he made a last gentle and higher pass above us rocking its wings.

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:20 am

the brain finds it hard to comprehend how something so small (and I recommend a visit to the Edvar Hazy Smithsonian if you can get there to see one in person) can be so ear-splittingly, organ displacingly loud.
Oh, I walked around and was inside this Concorde, but never near one in operation.
https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/The-Intr ... 0Pier%2086.

My closest encounter with a really loud jet and its engines was bit weird.

December 1988 or January 1989. I was in Israel doing voluntary work in the Kibutz Gaaton (in exchange for food and shelter), harvesting grapefruit in a citric field that belonged to the Kibutz, when an F-4 Phantom decided to practice what seemed to be ground attack runs on us. It was 3 runs, each one lower than the previous. The last one was so low that it made me duck as I thought he was going to crash into the trees that were just a few meters tall.

It was very loud, but my strongest sensorial impression was distinguishing the pilot's helmet and its colors. After that he made a last gentle and higher pass above us rocking its wings.
Cool and terrifying at the same time. Bit inconsiderate of him! Doing a Kibutz was fairly common for folks back in the late 80s here in the UK - you could also get a 1-year Oz visa and just bugger off there and live like a bum for a while.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”