FAO Schorsch

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

ZeroAltitude

FAO Schorsch

Postby ZeroAltitude » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:11 am

Question to the insider:
n-tv and N24 newstickers are reporting some difficulties in A380 operations - allegedly the emergency slides have to be changed prematurely.

My guess is some non-issue blown up by some journalists who have been triggered by the keyword "A380".

Any insider insights?
space intentionally left blank

Dummy Pilot

Re: FAO Schorsch

Postby Dummy Pilot » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:44 pm

allegedly the emergency slides have to be changed prematurely.
This confirms what I've always known....European planemakers have problems with Premature Evacuation!

Link
Airbus A380 has hitch with escape slides: report
1 day ago

BERLIN (AFP) — Airbus' A380 super jumbo, the world's largest passenger aircraft, has encountered problems with its inflatable escape slides, the Internet site of the Germany weekly Stern reported Saturday.

The escape slides had to be revised after just a few flights, the magazine said, citing reports from clients of the European aircraft maker.

It quoted an Airbus spokesman confirming that there had been a problem.

The explosive charges meant to inflate the slides in just a few seconds during an emergency evacuation were deteriorating over time and becoming unusable, said the report.

Schorsch

Postby Schorsch » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:56 pm

Newspapers, especially those who pretend to have insignt into technology (N24, SpiegelOnline) scan regularly for "A380+Problems" and more or less report any finding. Replacing every "70 flights" means once a month. I guess a problem that will be overcome after a while. Would be more damaging if the engines go out at final approach.
Publicly, we say one thing... Actually, we do another.

ZeroAltitude

Postby ZeroAltitude » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:18 pm

Newspapers, especially those who pretend to have insignt into technology (N24, SpiegelOnline) scan regularly for "A380+Problems" and more or less report any finding. Replacing every "70 flights" means once a month. I guess a problem that will be overcome after a while. Would be more damaging if the engines go out at final approach.
Quod expectandum erat.
space intentionally left blank

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”