A340 troubles, the latest news...

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Gabriel

Re: A340 troubles, the latest news...

Postby Gabriel » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:25 am

If the first 30 ft of the plane can be economically cut clean and replaced, then it can be saved. So it can't.
Noted. Is that from two airline mechanic youtube videos or is it just your own opinion backed by decades of airliner repair experience?
You mean I need to look youtube videos or have 30 years of airliner repair experience to note that the nose of the plane is burnt?

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:50 pm

If the first 30 ft of the plane can be economically cut clean and replaced, then it can be saved. So it can't.
Noted. Is that from two airline mechanic youtube videos or is it just your own opinion backed by decades of airliner repair experience?
You mean I need to look youtube videos or have 30 years of airliner repair experience to note that the nose of the plane is burnt?

I was more curious what orifice you pulled the 30ft figure from. Why not 27? Why not 40?
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:27 pm

I was more curious what orifice you pulled the 30ft figure from. Why not 27? Why not 40?
It was a generic ballpark number, it's accuracy was not central to the idea being conveyed.
You can replace the 30 with 27, 40 or "a large section going from the nose cone to somewhere around the L1/R1 doors" and the idea is the same. Said section can't be economically cut clean and replaced. The plane is a write-off.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Quote = Gabriel with some 3BS embellishment.

If...economical...then it can be saved....if not...it can't.

[in general, anyway]
Flyboy, I don't think Gabe is getting all that technical...maybe a few more wiggle words in his statements ~30 ft and perhaps there have been SOME instances of replacing front sections...

I would worry that all of the electronics and wiring that goes with a cockpit might tip that economic scale a bit...

Conversely, I always liked putting ALL the fertilizer out preflood with ground equipment and saving the application cost of post-flood aerial supplemental fertilizer- but there's some yield loss when you do- so we have crop dusters making spooky long takeoff runs and slow climbs.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:34 pm

It was a generic ballpark number, it's accuracy was not central to the idea being conveyed.
You can replace the 30 with 27, 40 or "a large section going from the nose cone to somewhere around the L1/R1 doors" and the idea is the same. Said section can't be economically cut clean and replaced. The plane is a write-off.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll relay the information to Lufthansa Technik, thankfully they have an office at FLL.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:46 am

Thanks for the clarification. I'll relay the information to Lufthansa Technik, thankfully they have an office at FLL.
Don't bother. They already know.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”