Well, I did it

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

The Notorious STG

Well, I did it

Postby The Notorious STG » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:48 am

Put in my app at the FAA site for the air traffic controller trainee position.

Hopefully the so-called controller shortage will help me land a good job now that we're bout to retire my precious shuttles here in a couple years and there's a good chance I'll be laid off.

Now the wait begins!!

Half Bottle

Re: Well, I did it

Postby Half Bottle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:52 pm

Best of luck , Sammy (although you know this couldn't go by without one of the following jokes. You may take your pick):

1) Please inform us the first time you have to order an aircraft to back-taxi.
2) Will you be instructing female pilots to, "proceed direct to Haywood Jablowme"?
3) Please remember to keep both eyes on the scope until you're experienced enough to safely check out your coworker's boobs.
~~~ In Oxford Town, you smell like dead lab rats. ~~~

IntheShade
ISGPOTM, 2nd only to Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger

Postby IntheShade » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:44 pm

Sammy, I told you that being a security guard wasn't a career.

I sincerely hope that this time you find a job that can be a career. ATC seems to be a great career choice for the new generation aka wiggers.

Much like I mentioned to you before, you need to learn the AIM.
Aviation Pilot, Author, Genius

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:38 pm

...you need to learn the AIM.
What does "AIM" stand for?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:01 am

Aeronautical Information Manual: The FAA's "Official Guide to Basic Flight Information and ATC Procedures". 99% of the time is published in the same book as the Federal Aviation Regulations.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/AIM/

Peminu

Postby Peminu » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:12 am

Hi Sammy. Long time no see you posting around here.

Wish you best of lucks for your future job.

But, while you are still there, do you have any of the nice photos similar to those you have placed during previous operations in the forum from today's Endeavour's launch?

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Just another cast away from AD.com that reached AD.info island.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:18 am

Aeronautical Information Manual
Failed attempt at baiting ITS

Before the days of political correctness, I THINK the document was called the AirMAN'S Infomation Manual
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Cam

Postby Cam » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:55 am

Right on Sammy
You should all know by now....so please stop asking.

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:04 am

Good luck Sammy!
you still have to find a crew willing to fly this "barely airworthy" heap
no such thing as "barely airworthy" it's either Airworthy or Not
100% incorrect Ever hear of Ferry Permit? issued for Non airworthy aircraft
LOL

Digger

Postby Digger » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Good luck, Sammy.

You do realize that in terms of job satisfaction, the FAA ranks #214 out of 216 federal agencies?

Half Bottle

Postby Half Bottle » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:16 pm

~~~ In Oxford Town, you smell like dead lab rats. ~~~

The Notorious STG

Postby The Notorious STG » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:28 am

I sincerely hope that this time you find a job that can be a career. ATC seems to be a great career choice for the new generation aka wiggers.

*Sigh*

I've already explained multiple times that I'm NOT a security guard, but because it is security related I can't talk about it.

And this was never intended to be a career. It's been an opportunity to work in an extraordinary setting that I've been wanting to work in my entire life.

Thanks for the wishes, but all that's happened is that Ive submitted the application. There's a waays to go IF I even get accepted.

Ed

Postby Ed » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:49 am

*Sigh*

I've already explained multiple times that I'm NOT a security guard, but because it is security related I can't talk about it.
Do you own a snow shovel?...a high fidelity stereo?.........the pharmacopoeia???...........BED AND BREAKFAST???????????

The Notorious STG

Postby The Notorious STG » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:44 am

*Sigh*

Do you own a snow shovel?...a high fidelity stereo?.........the pharmacopoeia???...........BED AND BREAKFAST???????????
The NSA. You forgot the NSA.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:17 am

*Sigh*

And this was never intended to be a career. It's been an opportunity to work in an extraordinary setting that I've been wanting to work in my entire life.

Thanks for the wishes, but all that's happened is that Ive submitted the application. There's a waays to go IF I even get accepted.
Well, I work for Boeing Integrated Defense Systems. but since it's Defense work I can't really talk about it, either.

Or at least that's what I'll say when I go back to school this fall and people ask me what kind of cool stuff I did this summer. :D Seriously, though, good luck with the air traffic controlling! That's a career I've considered, myself.

VectorForFood

Postby VectorForFood » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:09 am

STG, best of luck!

I really hope NATCA can actually improve the workplace before you get qualified.

The payscale and schedules of FAA controllers is meagre at best compared to any other Western ATC unit around the world.

It's a shame really, some of the best controllers I work with every day and night are American FAA controllers, and knowing the new people coming online are very underpaid by industry standards, and also poor work schedules again by industry standards, simply is not right.

VectorForFood

Postby VectorForFood » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:15 am

We take care of you everyday, keep you from trading paint with another airplane. The least you could do is show some respect where it is due.

You'll never say thanks, but Shadey You're Welcome

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:07 pm

AIM: Aeronautical Information Manual: The FAA's "Official Guide to Basic Flight Information and ATC Procedures".
... and ditching...

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:14 pm

The payscale and schedules of FAA controllers is meagre at best compared to any other Western ATC unit around the world.
I don't have data, but I find that hard to believe. Compared to any North American and Western Europe ATC, may be.

Digger

Postby Digger » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:35 pm

I don't have data, but I find that hard to believe. Compared to any North American and Western Europe ATC, may be.
Since the FAA imposed thier work rules on the union in 2006, the pay scale, especially for beginners has been very dramatically reduced. The new administration has told the FAA to go back to the table in an effort to reach an agreement everybody can live with. Pay is one of the items that is under arbitration, at this time.

Inthe meantime, here's an article from 2007 that gives some background: http://www.faafollies.com/?p=105 The links in the blog are outdated, but here's a quote--
It’s not true, of course. Here’s a job listing for 4 positions in Nantucket, Massachusetts. Note the starting salary- $18,732 per year. That’s about 9 bucks an hour. In Nantucket. Note the TOP salary in that job listing. It’s $51,927.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:44 pm

Since the FAA imposed thier work rules on the union in 2006, the pay scale, especially for beginners has been very dramatically reduced.
I don't doubt that the situation is really bad, but from that to say that it is worse than ANY other Western ATC is a too big strech.

As I've said, I don't have the data, but I'd like to see how the FAA payscale compares to their Argentinian, Uruguayan, Paraguayan and Bolivian counterparts, for example.

Digger

Postby Digger » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:47 pm

Yeah, but now you have the data to compare the FAA to US positions in food service, janitorial, and ditchdigging.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:24 am

Yeah, but now you have the data to compare the FAA to US positions in food service, janitorial, and ditchdigging.
Or airline pilot. Oh wait a minute...

The Notorious STG

Postby The Notorious STG » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:53 pm

Just got the message from the FAA.

Authorized to take the AT-SAT (Test to see if the FAA thinks Im smart enough to offer me a job).

Doesn't mean too much. Just about everyone who's smart enough to read the qualifications is authorized, so its not that big a deal. But still excited!

IntheShade
ISGPOTM, 2nd only to Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger

Postby IntheShade » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:06 am

Just got the message from the FAA.

Authorized to take the AT-SAT (Test to see if the FAA thinks Im smart enough to offer me a job).

Doesn't mean too much. Just about everyone who's smart enough to read the qualifications is authorized, so its not that big a deal. But still excited!
Just remember sammy--you're taking a test to have a chance at working with the most exciting people on the planet:

PILOTS
Aviation Pilot, Author, Genius

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”