QANTAS Troubles the latest news.......

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

B77W-QOTS

Re: QANTAS Troubles the latest news.......

Postby B77W-QOTS » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:39 am

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/warn ... 6141163152

Just hand your revenue guests over to us QANTAS we will look after them :clap:
"We are running an airline not a circus," - Qantas spokeswoman

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:32 am

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:00 pm

I thought you'd mention the A380 that turned around halfway between HKG-LHR and returned to HKG because they had forgotten the charts for Europe
Would have been B747-400 um I did read the thread on pprune.org and had a chuckle.
Don't they have in-flight wi-fi? :geek:

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:41 pm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6162980953

It's just getting messier by the day.

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:34 am

100 flights a week cut and five aircraft grounded :shock:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/news ... 6165258277

reubee

Postby reubee » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Missed by one, I was aboard this aircraft for the previous leg LHR-BKK http://avherald.com/h?article=4449ba08&opt=0. I can only report that on that occasion the aircraft operated flawlessly, and that we didn't use reverse thrust on landing, which surprised me given the extra amount of water around Bangkok at the moment.

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:47 pm

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:35 am

QANTAS GROUNDED THE ENTIRE OPERATION DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/qant ... 6180315331

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:41 am

A lock out by management on a customer based company with no notice?
You've got to be f***ing kidding me.
Why doesn't Alan Joyce just walk along the passenger queue and shoot every tenth customer in the head?
It would be less damaging to the airline.
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:24 am

Why doesn't Alan Joyce just walk along the passenger queue and shoot every tenth customer in the head?
I'm chuckling quietly to myself. This man obviously trained at the Arthur Scargill school of charm and the Bob Crow school of diplomacy.
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:27 am

By the way - what's the view on the endgame here. Is he looking to break the union early? More government subsidy? Divine intervention?
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

DeskFlyer

Postby DeskFlyer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:35 am

Cos every tenth passenger has already been shot in the head by the self-interested 'industrial action' bullshit that's been going on for weeks.
Darth: Luke, I know what you are getting for Christmas.
Luke: Noooo! That's impossible.
Darth: I felt your presents.

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:51 am

Fair Work Australia meeting scheduled for 1400AEST around 10 mins time

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/na ... 6180628405

reubee

Postby reubee » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:15 am

By the way - what's the view on the endgame here. Is he looking to break the union early? More government subsidy? Divine intervention?
no government subsidy's in this part of the world, this is management trying to get a quick resolution.

The union action till now has been relatively mild, lawful, and minimally disruptive to the paying customer. Pilots wearing non-standard ties and making PA announcements, engineers not doing overtime etc. However there was no end in sight. Now management come along and ground everything with minimum notice, and you'll probably get some government intervention.

What is interesting is that on Friday the Qantas AGM was held. The directors got re-elected and voted through some pay rises for themselves. No mention was made that they would ground the airline the following day when they already had plans in place to do so (hotel bookings for disrupted passengers etc)

The unions actions were relatively mild, managements action is pretty drastic and is going to cause a lot of negative goodwill. Particularly with Melbourne Cup day on Tuesday. Not to mention that the SYD-BKK-LHR and LHR-BKK-SYD flights were stopped in BKK and the passengers rather than staying at the airport Novotel are taken to a hotel that could be affected by the floods.

Management has treated the paying customer with contempt. What long term damage this has been done will be interesting, what sort of plays will other airlines make to acquire their high value customers.

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:27 pm

Well that's the interesting thing now is how much brand damage has been done, was having a chat to my airport manager today and Virgin Australia thinks they will retain 3 of every 5 guests that had been booked with QANTAS and flown with Virgin Australia over the last day or so, it's been a hectic day today but been very well organized and co- ordinated by Virgin Australia, extra staff to cover and meet the schedule, a chartered Skywest F100 was brought in and operated PER-ADL-MEL sectors, one of our A330's was put on MEL-SYD this afternoon, I've done 14hrs today and have another 13hr day ahead tomorrow.

Across this thread there has been a bit of poking fun, but at the end of the day this is why l started this thread because what occurred yesterday was eventually going to happen, l know a lot of QANTAS people who today have had hand delivered 'lockout notices' couriered out to their houses today, it's tough and l feel for them.

David Hilditch

Postby David Hilditch » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:02 pm

Well that's the interesting thing now is how much brand damage has been done, was having a chat to my airport manager today and Virgin Australia thinks they will retain 3 of every 5 guests that had been booked with QANTAS and flown with Virgin Australia over the last day or so...........
In my view, an airline that refers to its passengers as "guests" should be grounded forthwith.

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:38 am

In my view, an airline that refers to its passengers as "guests" should be grounded forthwith.
For someone whom is normally cluey thats just a dumb comment.

Thunder Down Under

Postby Thunder Down Under » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:48 am

Something to think about..........

And some disturbing additional background to this story, from Senator Nick Xenophon in the Federal Parliament on 23 August last.....

Senator XENOPHON (South Australia) (19:37): I rise to speak tonight on an issue that is close to the hearts of many Australians, and that is the future of our national carrier, Qantas. At 90, Qantas is the world's oldest continuously running airline. It is an iconic Australian company. Its story is woven into the story of Australia and Australians have long taken pride in the service and safety standards provided by our national carrier. Who didn't feel a little proud when Dustin Hoffman uttered the immortal line in Rain Man, 'Qantas never crashed'?

While it is true that Qantas never crashes, the sad reality is that Qantas is being deliberately trashed by management in the pursuit of short-term profits and at the expense of its workers and passengers. For a long time, Qantas management has been pushing the line that Qantas international is losing money and that Jetstar is profitable. Tonight, it is imperative to expose those claims for the misinformation they are. The reality is that Qantas has long been used to subsidise Jetstar in order to make Jetstar look profitable and Qantas look like a burden. In a moment, I will provide detailed allegations of cost-shifting that I have sourced from within the Qantas Group, and when you know the facts you quickly see a pattern. When there is a cost to be paid, Qantas pays it, and when there is a profit to be made, Jetstar makes it.

But first we need to ask ourselves: why? Why would management want Qantas to look unprofitable? Why would they want to hide the cost of a competing brand within their group, namely Jetstar, in amongst the costs faced by Qantas?

To understand that, you need to go back to the days when Qantas was being privatised. When Qantas was privatised the Qantas Sale Act 1992 imposed a number of conditions, which in turn created a number of problems for any management group that wanted to flog off parts of the business. Basically, Qantas has to maintain its principal place of operations here in Australia, but that does not stop management selling any subsidiaries, which brings us to Jetstar.

Qantas has systematically built up the low-cost carrier at the expense of the parent company. I have been provided with a significant number of examples where costs which should have been billed back to Jetstar have in fact been paid for by Qantas. These are practices that I believe Qantas and Jetstar management need to explain. For example, when Jetstar took over the Cairns-Darwin-Singapore route, replacing Qantas flights, a deal was struck that required Qantas to provide Jetstar with $6 million a year in revenue. Why? Why would one part of the business give up a profitable route like that and then be asked to pay for the privilege? Then there are other subsidies when it comes to freight. On every sector Jetstar operates an A330, Qantas pays $6,200 to $6,400 for freight space regardless of actual uplift. When you do the calculations, this turns out to be a small fortune. Based on 82 departures a week, that is nearly half-a-million dollars a week or $25½ million a year.

Then there are the arrangements within the airport gates. In Melbourne, for example, my information from inside the Qantas group is that Jetstar does not pay for any gates, but instead Qantas domestic is charged for the gates. My question for Qantas management is simple: are these arrangements replicated right around Australia and why is Qantas paying Jetstar's bills? Why does Qantas lease five check-in counters at Sydney Terminal 2, only to let Jetstar use one for free? It has been reported to me that there are other areas where Jetstar's costs magically become Qantas's costs. For example, Jetstar does not have a treasury department and has only one person in government affairs. I am told Qantas's legal department also does free work for Jetstar.

Then there is the area of disruption handling where flights are cancelled and people need to be rebooked. Here, insiders tell me, Qantas handles all rebookings and the traffic is all one way. It is extremely rare for a Qantas passenger to be rebooked on a Jetstar flight, but Jetstar passengers are regularly rebooked onto Qantas flights. I am informed that Jetstar never pays Qantas for the cost of those rebooked passengers and yet Jetstar gets to keep the revenue from the original bookings. This, I am told, is worth millions of dollars every year. So Jetstar gets the profit while Qantas bears the costs of carriage. It has also been reported to me that when Qantas provides an aircraft to Jetstar to cover an unserviceable plane, Jetstar does not pay for the use of this plane.

Yet another example relates to the Qantas Club. Jetstar passengers can and do use the Qantas Club but Jetstar does not pay for the cost of any of this. So is Qantas really losing money? Or is it profitable but simply losing money on paper because it is carrying so many costs incurred by Jetstar? We have been told by Qantas management that the changes that will effectively gut Qantas are necessary because Qantas international is losing money but, given the inside information I have just detailed, I would argue those claims need to be reassessed.

Indeed, given these extensive allegations of hidden costs, it would be foolish to take management's word that Qantas international is losing money. So why would Qantas want to make it look like Qantas international is losing money? Remember the failed 2007 private equity bid by the Allco Finance Group. It was rejected by shareholders, and thank goodness it was, for I am told that what we are seeing now is effectively a strategy of private equity sell-off by stealth.

Here is how it works. You have to keep Qantas flying to avoid breaching the Qantas Sale Act but that does not stop you from moving assets out of Qantas and putting them into an airline that you own but that is not controlled by the Qantas Sale Act. Then you work the figures to make it appear as though the international arm of Qantas is losing money. You use this to justify the slashing of jobs, maintenance standards and employment of foreign crews and, ultimately, the creation of an entirely new airlines to be based in Asia and which will not be called Qantas. The end result? Technically Qantas would still exist but it would end up a shell of its former self and the Qantas Group would end up with all these subsidiaries it can base overseas using poorly paid foreign crews with engineering and safety standards that do not match Australian standards. In time, if the Qantas Group wants to make a buck, they can flog these subsidiaries off for a tidy profit. Qantas management could pay the National Boys Choir and the Australian Girls’ Choir to run to the desert and sing about still calling Australia home, but people would not buy it. It is not just about feeling good about our national carrier—in times of trouble our national carrier plays a key strategic role. In an international emergency, in a time of war, a national carrier is required to freight resources and people around the country and around the world. Qantas also operates Qantas Defence Services, which conducts work for the RAAF. If Qantas is allowed to wither, who will meet these strategic needs?

I pay tribute to the 35,000 employees of the Qantas Group. At the forefront of the fight against the strategy of Qantas management have been the Qantas pilots, to whom millions of Australians have literally entrusted their lives. The Australian and International Pilots Association sees Qantas management strategy as a race to the bottom when it comes to service and safety. On 8 November last year, QF32 experienced a serious malfunction with the explosion of an engine on an A380 aircraft. In the wrong hands, that plane could have crashed. But it did not, in large part because the Qantas flight crew had been trained to exemplary world-class standards and knew how to cope with such a terrifying reality. I am deeply concerned that what is being pursued may well cause training levels to fall and that as a result safety standards in the Qantas Group may fall as well. AIPA pilots and the licensed aircraft engineers are not fighting for themselves; they are fighting for the Australian public. That is why I am deeply concerned about any action Qantas management may be considering taking against pilots who speak out in the public interest.

A lot of claims have been made about the financial state of Qantas international but given the information I have presented tonight, which has come from within the Qantas Group, I believe these claims by management are crying out for further serious forensic investigation. Qantas should not be allowed to face death by a thousand cuts—job cuts, route cuts, quality cuts, engineering cuts, wage cuts. None of this is acceptable and it must all be resisted for the sake of the pilots, the crews, the passengers and ultimately the future of our national carrier.

TDU
I don't have a plan........therefore nothing can go wrong.....

reubee

Postby reubee » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:28 am

I have seen other references to the lack of proper transfer pricing. Whilst I'm a believer that where theres smoke there is fire, I would've thought that any ambitious group or division manager would be doing everything to keep costs out of their little empire. If there are gaps where costs are being shovelled then it doesn't paint a good picture of the internal systems. Then again JetConnect allegedly didn't have a bank account.

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:52 pm

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines ... 6272513365

500 jobs to be axed 83% drop in first half profit.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:34 am

I heard they're cutting the Seattle - Auckland flight. Tragic.

Procede

Postby Procede » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:43 am

How will they deliver new aircraft? ;-)

reubee

Postby reubee » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:06 pm

How will they deliver new aircraft? ;-)
By departing from Toulouse

Procede

Postby Procede » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:03 pm

It seems the Kangaroo route is shifting south...
Qantas Airways and Emirates have entered an extensive partnership to collaborate on routes and frequent flyer benefits, shifting the Australian carrier's hub for European flights to Dubai from Singapore.

The partnership will commence in April 2013 and run for 10 years, Qantas said in a statement.
flightglobal

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:09 am

Man waits on hold for 15 hours

Published: Aug. 3, 2012 at 12:59 PM
ADELAIDE, Australia, Aug. 3 (UPI) -- An Australian man said he called the Qantas airline and waited for 15 hours, 40 minutes and 1 second before hanging up the phone.

Andrew Kahn of Adelaide said he called Qantas at 7:22 p.m. Wednesday to confirm his travel arrangements and remained on hold until 11:01 a.m. Thursday while a recorded voice said an agent would speak to him "as soon as possible," the Sydney Morning Herald reported Friday.

''I wanted to find out what exactly they meant would be as soon as possible. I never got an answer. This is outrageous," Kahn said.

Kahn said he later called back and was able to speak with a customer service representative who told him he was not booked for the flight due to a code error in the ticket booking.

Qantas apologized and said it is investigating the incident.
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/08/03/ ... 344013167/
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”