FAO Chris Wonnacott

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Re: FAO Chris Wonnacott

Postby 3WE » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:10 pm

The reasoning for the 2000' separation above FL410 is due to apparent equipment limitations and accuracy, which I would find questionable given todays technology.

Based upon?
In defense of Vector, since when is a government-based regulation based on good science and common sense as opposed to lawyers and bureaucrats?

Do we trust them to evaluate the clockwork, gearing and manufacturing processes in altimiters to know if they are consistently accurate to less than 0.5 revolutions out of 41 on the big hand?....and how much safety buffer is needed?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

VectorForFood

Postby VectorForFood » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:43 pm

That is what I was eluding to when I said "apparent"

I honestly have no idea what if any limitations todays equipment have.

Don't forget when RVSM rules were being drawn up the Concorde was still chasing pressure waves all over those levels of airspace, (ok well higher than that, but they did operate there from time to time)

There is no wording that I have ever seen in any ICAO separation standards or country separation standards which outline exactly why RVSM stops at FL410, but I'm sure there is a reason to, even if it may be assinine.

If I'm not mistaken isn't there a rule about passenger aircraft of a certain size not being allowed ABOVE FL410 for safety reasons? (Depressurisation?)

Perhaps that was a contributing factor?

Giles

Postby Giles » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:28 pm

I honestly have no idea
true

Dummy Pilot

Postby Dummy Pilot » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:01 pm

That is what I was eluding
What were you running away from?

If I'm not mistaken isn't there a rule about passenger aircraft of a certain size not being allowed ABOVE FL410 for safety reasons? (Depressurisation?)
There are commercial planes that can fly above 410, but above that, FARs require at least one pilot to wear and use a secured oxygen mask.....that ain't gonna happen.

Procede

Postby Procede » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:14 am

FL410 probably has something to do with the tropopause. As the temparature gradient changes to zero, this probably causes extra inaccuracies in altimeters.

VectorForFood

Postby VectorForFood » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:11 am

So DP what about the NetJets guys and the like, do they follow the same rules or do they operate as a private aircraft?

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:08 pm

For regulations pertaining to NetJets etc, see 14 CFR Part 91 Subpart K (91.1001-91.1443). These are (from the FAA standpoint) private aircraft, but due to the nature of the operation, they do have to comply with certain limitations pertaining to things like crew rest (91.1057 and .1059) as well as some other rules that make them similar to charter operators. Altitude restriction, however, is not one of them.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

VectorForFood

Postby VectorForFood » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:01 am

Interesting FB thanks, always been curious about how they operated.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”