787 troubles, the latest news..

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Chris Foss

Re: 787 troubles, the latest news..

Postby Chris Foss » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:42 am

I've now flown over 200 hours on the 787 with another 35 coming up.

Nice job Verbie, she's a keeper!

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:09 am

I've now flown over 200 hours on the 787
PIC or SIC?

Chris Foss

Postby Chris Foss » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:04 am

In cattle class. I monitor their performance from a discreet distance

Chris Foss

Postby Chris Foss » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:06 am

The best seat is 35a for watching the most beautiful wing ever made and ogling the Andes on the way into Santiago.

3WE

A lot of PSI to the brakes...

Postby 3WE » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:32 am

This is kind of cool. I’m sure we could do this ourselves, but I’m guessing the aircraft rental is expensive and complex.

https://aviationhumor.net/dreamliner-bo ... t-landing/
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Re: A lot of PSI to the brakes...

Postby Gabriel » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:56 am

This is kind of cool. I’m sure we could do this ourselves, but I’m guessing the aircraft rental is expensive and complex.

Kind of cool? That's awesome!!!

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:34 pm

NICE!!!

I counted at least 2953PSI right there.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:47 am

Kind of cool? That's awesome!!!
And, you saw it here!

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:58 pm

09/2020

News headlines of significant structural problems...

Bring back the 757, 707, Etc.!

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:57 pm

Boeing has decided to consolidate 787 production at the plant with the worst quality.
Boeing to move 787 production to South Carolina in 2021
Reuters News 10/01/2020
Author: Eric M. Johnson

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Boeing Co said on Thursday it will move the rest of its 787 Dreamliner production to South Carolina in 2021, a cost-cutting strategy that raises questions over the future its giant Everett plant north of Seattle.

Reuters first reported on Sept. 21 that Boeing was near a decision to move Dreamliner production to South Carolina as its strategy of supporting two plants has been severely tested by the coronavirus slump in international travel, on top of a cyclical downturn in demand for big jets.

As recently as last year, Boeing was making record numbers of 787s at its Everett widebody hub north of Seattle and - since 2012 - a second plant in North Charleston, South Carolina.

Boeing said the single site would improve operational efficiency as the U.S. planemaker adjusts to the market downtown and positions for recovery.

But industry officials say it raises the prospect of a another battle between the U.S. planemaker and unions that have unsuccessfully tried to organize in the South Carolina plant.

Boeing also said 787 production would continue at the Everett site until a previously announced rate cut to six airplanes a month in 2021.

Boeing estimated it would consolidate production at its North Charleston facility starting in mid-2021.

A review of its 787 production strategy, announced in July along with sweeping rate cuts across its widebody programs, had already rattled unions and politicians in Washington state, who see Boeing wavering on its commitment to its Seattle-area birthplace, something the company denies.

House of Representatives Democrat Rick Larsen, who chairs the aviation subcommittee and whose district includes the Everett plant, called the decision “shortsighted and misplaced” in a statement this week, and vowed to fight to bring 787 production back to Everett.

The earlier decision to move some production to the non-union state of South Carolina was the culmination of a years-old board-led strategy to reduce reliance on Washington state, where Boeing has had stormy relations with unions in the past.

John Holden, president of a local chapter of the International Association of Machinists, said losing 787 production capacity in Everett “puts the company, our members and our community in jeopardy.”

Ray Goforth, Executive Director of the SPEEA engineers union, said its “immediate focus is supporting the members who will be laid-off. Long-term, we will partner with community stakeholders to attract new aerospace jobs to (Washington) state by marketing the aerospace talent pool Boeing is walking away from.”

Boeing Commercial Airplanes chief executive Stan Deal said, “We recognize that production decisions can impact our teammates, industry and our community partners.”

South Carolina offers cheaper labor, and the largest 787-10 variant cannot easily be built elsewhere due to its size.

But doubling down on the southern state is not without cost.

Boeing aims to return to a rate of 10 to 11 787s monthly at some point. Running such rates at South Carolina would require investment to expand the facility.

Currently, Boeing builds the 747, 767, 777, and some 787s there. After 2022, only the 767/KC-46 and 777/777X would remain, with Boeing putting out no more than five jets monthly - roughly three times fewer than a year ago.

After Boeing canceled plans for a new mid-market jet, there is no obvious backfill for the vacated 787 space, which means the remaining low-rate programs would absorb a bigger share of factory overhead.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:09 pm

Another bean-counter vs engineering decision.
Doesn't matter that the area just lacks the needed number of qualified personnel even to sustain today's production and that the output quality of the Charleston plant is far inferior than the Everett one to the point that some airlines are only accepting Everett-built planes.

Hey, labor is cheaper and non-unionized!

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:11 pm

J

Postby J » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:19 pm

Video Showing The Repairs To The 787 Gap Defects

The gaps are reported to be 5 thousands of an inch - about the thickness of a piece of paper. The issue isn't safety but a deviation from the design spec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65wHrKhYpOE

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Fri May 13, 2022 6:14 pm

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 022-05-13/

U.S. air-safety regulators have told Boeing Co (BA.N) the documentation it submitted to win approval to resume 787 deliveries to airlines after a year is incomplete...
...Deliveries of the 787 have been halted for a year as Boeing worked through inspections and repairs in an industrial headache expected to cost about $5.5 billion. Boeing has more than 100 of the advanced composite twin-aisle jets parked in inventory, worth about $12.5 billion.
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sat May 14, 2022 6:32 am

777X deliveries pushed to 2025 due to certification issues.
787 can't resume deliveries due to incomplete paperwork
737 MAX 10 certification delayed due to lack of understanding with the FAA

I don't know if Boeing is still dealing with gross internal incompetence, if the FAA has became extremely restrictive, or both, but I would start selling my Boeing shares if I had.

(on top of that, the Starliner space program is a disaster too)

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sat May 14, 2022 8:46 am

I don't know if Boeing is still dealing with gross internal incompetence,
Good question. .Is verbal still of that parish?
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Sat May 14, 2022 4:34 pm

Boeing Co (BA.N)
That is so perfect! :clap:
I would start selling my Boeing shares if I had.
It's curtains for Boeing. Today I'm uncorking the fine yerba mate I've been saving for this long awaited moment.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

J

Postby J » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:30 pm

FAA clears Boeing to resume delivery of 787 Dreamliners
Excerpt:
The Federal Aviation Administration notified Boeing on Friday that it would approve the company’s process for validating fixes to each plane before they are delivered to airline customers, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a decision that has not been publicly announced.
It is not clear how long it will take Boeing to deliver all 120 backlogged planes, which were built at factories in Washington state and South Carolina. Each one will need to be cleared by the FAA.

American Airlines expects to get its first two 787s “in early August” but isn’t including them in the schedule until November, the airline’s chief financial officer, Derek Kerr, said last week on a call to discuss quarterly earnings.
The FAA decision to approve Boeing’s r ... a77dadd41a

Mr. Snappy
Your Forum Comrade

Postby Mr. Snappy » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:44 pm

787 is inferior copy of superior Russian Tu204
I like Mick Mouse

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:37 am

787 is inferior
Concur.

J

Postby J » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:36 pm

Boeing to Deliver 787-8 to AA on August 10

Excerpt:

The 787-8 bound for American Airlines will be the first 787 delivered since Boeing suspended them in May 2021.

Reports say that Boeing has around 120 completed 787s waiting for delivery, although how many have already been inspected per the approved plan is unknown.

Boeing's unfilled orders report for June 30 shows a backlog of 476 787s. The most in-demand type is the 787-9, which has 316 in backlog, followed by the 787-10 with 121 and the 787-8 with 39. Of the orders allocated to a customer, the larger ones are from Etihad Airways (32), Lufthansa (32), Emirates (30), American Airlines (25) and Qatar Airways (23).

One of the most vocal critics of the 787 delays has been Emirates president Tim Clark, who earlier this year said he wouldn't be surprised if the airline dropped the 787s out of the mix completely. With Qatar Airways embroiled in a legal dispute over Airbus A350, they would likely jump at the chance to take the thirty 787s that Emirates has on order, assuming Clark still has his pessimistic outlook on the program.

https://simpleflying.com/boeing-clear-d ... -tomorrow/

J

Postby J » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:45 pm

Lufthansa's 1st Boeing 787 Is Due To Be Delivered Today

According to a post on the airline's Instagram story and confirmed to Simple Flying by the airline, D-ABPA is scheduled to depart Seattle at around 16:00 local time before arriving at the airline's Frankfurt stronghold tomorrow morning.

Following delivery, the jet will fly to Frankfurt Airport, Germany, as LH9921, where it is due to touch down tomorrow morning. It appears as though Lufthansa won't make much of a song or dance about the jet's arrival in Frankfurt. It is due to head straight into a maintenance hangar where it will spend several weeks receiving its new cabin.

https://simpleflying.com/lufthansa-boei ... ery-today/

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:37 pm

Interesting and unusual that the airplane is being delivered without its production interior. One would surmise that airlines prefer to have completed airplanes delivered to them.

When the first of a new type is delivered to an airline, it will often be a few months before it gets put into revenue service. Everyone who touches the airplane needs to be trained - cabin crew, ground crew, maintenance, etc.

Regards, Dr. Sigmund von Verbal
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

elaw

Postby elaw » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:26 pm

HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:50 am

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”