787 troubles, the latest news..

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: 787 troubles, the latest news..

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:16 am

Bradley has a short between his ears.
Cut or circuit?
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 am

Gabriel and Bradley would say "cut", and they are wrong!
you still have to find a crew willing to fly this "barely airworthy" heap
no such thing as "barely airworthy" it's either Airworthy or Not
100% incorrect Ever hear of Ferry Permit? issued for Non airworthy aircraft
LOL

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:36 pm

YOU ARE MONKEY
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Ha Ha Ha! My Wife say "I"m Animal!!!"
LOL

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:26 pm

If we're still talking about a short circuit, any other current paths are at minimum since voltage is now down to almost nothing.
Heat, light, smoke, and maybe a few exploding parts as collaterals are all in the "short circuit" path...

Two bulbs in parallel is ok.
Two bulbs + a short = no light + trouble.
Thank you. Usually with a short circuit, circuit protection kicks in and removes power from it. It's pretty instantaneous.
It's pretty interesting when it doesn't.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:29 pm

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:44 pm

If we're still talking about a short circuit, any other current paths are at minimum since voltage is now down to almost nothing.
Heat, light, smoke, and maybe a few exploding parts as collaterals are all in the "short circuit" path...

Two bulbs in parallel is ok.
Two bulbs + a short = no light + trouble.
Thank you. Usually with a short circuit, circuit protection kicks in and removes power from it. It's pretty instantaneous.
It's pretty interesting when it doesn't.
Interesting? That's what you Boeing guys call it when an aircraft catches fire???
LOL

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 am

Let's face it: Airplane accidents are interesting.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:12 am

Indeed.

Dummy Pilot

Postby Dummy Pilot » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:08 am

Thank god we're not getting this piece of shite until 2020.

We need more DC9 derivatives. McDonnell Douglas knew how to build planes.

reubee

Postby reubee » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Indeed.
and this all started from an incident and not an accident

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:26 pm

Thank god we're not getting this piece of cheap composites until 2020.

We need more DC9 derivatives. McDonnell Douglas knew how to build planes from quality aluminum alloys.
Fixed.

(That and then the whole direct-cable vs. fly by wire extremes.)
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:09 pm

http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/aboutana/press ... 20613.html
ANA passengers say 787 experience is a dream
On-board survey shows high levels of satisfaction
Fuel savings beat expectations

TOKYO June 13, 2012– Nine in ten passengers who have flown on the Boeing 787 with ANA say their overall experience met or exceeded expectations, according to a customer survey showing very high levels of satisfaction with the comfort and performance of the Dreamliner.

A similar number expressed a preference or strong preference for flying in the Dreamliner over other aircraft and a quarter of passengers said they would go out of their way to book a flight on the 787 again.

The results of the survey, the first to be carried out since the 787 entered service with ANA in October last year, show that passengers are attracted by the unique features of the Dreamliner, which include higher cabin humidity and lower cabin altitude, more headroom and larger windows and overhead luggage bins than conventional aircraft.

Four in five passengers said the higher humidity levels in the 787 – made possible by the composite fuselage structure – met or exceeded expectations while 92 per cent responded that cabin ambience was as good as or better than they had expected.

The survey among nearly 800 passengers flying long-haul on the Dreamliner between Tokyo and Frankfurt, also found that:
· Air quality and cabin pressure met or exceeded expectations for nine in ten passengers
· Four in ten passengers felt that headroom was better than expected
· Cabin lighting exceeded expectations for 90 per cent of passengers
· The lavatories – which feature windows as standard – exceeded expectations for half of all passengers
· Eight in ten passengers said the amount of personal space met or exceeded expectations
· Smoothness of the flight was as good as or better than expected for 87 per cent of passengers

Passengers also commented favourably on the unique ‘electronic shades’ which allow them to adjust the amount of light coming through their window at the touch of a button. Nearly half of passengers said window dimmability was better than they expected while a further 38 per cent said it fully met expectations. The size of the Dreamliner’s windows – which are 20 per cent bigger than those on competing aircraft – exceeded expectations among four in ten passengers and met them for a further 50 per cent.

Appreciation of the unique characteristics of the Dreamliner was greater amongst those who fly often, with more frequent flyers saying that window size and dimmability, seat comfort, air quality, air pressure and humidity exceeded their expectations than other passengers.

Of the 780 passengers who were surveyed, just over half (54 per cent) flew fewer than six times a year while only 10 per cent took more than 25 round trips by plane a year. Of those surveyed, two thirds were flying economy and one third in Business Class. Just under three quarters were male. Four in ten passengers had chosen the flight intentionally because it was on a Dreamliner and only 12 per cent of those surveyed had never heard of the plane before they got on board.

Some 98 per cent of passengers said they would like to fly again on the Dreamliner with ANA or another airline or go out of their way to do so. One passenger commented: ‘Humidity is the big change compared to other planes.’ Another observed: ‘The shape of the wings is wonderful’.

ANA is the launch customer for the 787 and is due to take delivery of 55 Dreamliners by 2017. The revolutionary aircraft is a key element in ANA’s plan to expand international operations over the next few years. ANA is currently operating the 787 on eight domestic routes and Haneda – Frankfurt route. ANA is due to launch new 787 services from Tokyo to Seattle and San Jose on the US West Coast in the current fiscal year ending March, 2013.

ANA today separately announces that the 787 has exceeded expectations in terms of fuel efficiency. At launch, it was anticipated that the 787 would save 20% in fuel for each international flight, but ANA is pleased to confirm that the saving amounts to 21% per flight. In the 6 months since ANA’s first 787 flight, this saving equates to around 5,000 kiloliters of fuel compared with the 767, or the equivalent of the fuel used for the Tokyo-Frankfurt route over one month.

To view the full survey results please refer to the attached PDF file.
The EIS dispatch reliability is also quite good for being less than a year in.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:00 pm

...window dimmability...
Oh, yeah...why isn't that on the Waldo Pepper forum? Can't wait for the trip report photos at JP: "Here is my coke and pretzel wrapper basking in the light from my dimmable window- so very cool." Anyone heard from ITS?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Another observed: ‘The shape of the wings is wonderful’.
You're welcome.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Of course, the love affair of Japanese for all things Boeing goes way back.

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:00 pm

I mean, some of the earlier Boeings really melted their butter.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:10 am

Self-moderated.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:21 am

...window dimmability...
Oh, yeah...why isn't that on the Waldo Pepper forum? Can't wait for the trip report photos at JP: "Here is my coke and pretzel wrapper basking in the light from my dimmable window- so very cool." Anyone heard from ITS?
Actually, the last time I flew on a non-787 I really missed the dimmable windows. I like to look outside, but it's usually too bright to do so without sunglasses. And you disturb people trying to see what Ryan Reynolds is doing in the crappy in-flight movie. So the EDW really give a nice range of about 5 or 6 different darkness settings, going from clear to nearly opaque. Compared to flying along on something else and everybody's got their shades closed and I want to look outside but I feel like a dick opening my window.

Oh and the flight deck is great.

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:03 am

....but I feel like a dick opening my window.
Should you succeed, that feeling will not last long.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:07 pm

Fresh from their rather moist rollout at Addis (below), Boeing's marketing junket is doing the rounds in the UK as Thomson (shitty tour operator here) is bizarrely the first carrier to get one in the UK (apparently Virgin and BA are next....)

Click, the BBC's "tech for the unwashed masses" magazine programme interviewed the dude from bugatti (who designed the landing gear) and asked him the most embarassing questions : "So, was it a challenge to design this". Answer*: "You nincompoop journalist, I design landing gear for a living - it's not like you're asking a gorilla to design a microprocessing architecture".... and the shIIt the Thomson woman was coming out with wonderful "customer are telling us that they want less jet lag, we firmly believe that this plane will bring that reality closer".

*ok, that wasn't his actual answer but it feckin well should have been

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19304795 - ETHOIPIA junket

"this plane is very light so it costs less fuel to transport it" .... Beeb, please stop using contract journos!
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Self-medicated.
Fixed.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:10 pm

That too :)

I made a post saying that their love to Boeing came from the time of the JAL accident (due to a bar repair made by Boeing), but then I saw your other post going way back in time so I deleted (self-medicated) my first post.

Marc 1

Postby Marc 1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19 am

I often wonder (particularly in those markets where new automatically = better) if you'd get similar results dragging some tired old DC9 (with 60,000+ cycles)out of the boneyard, give it a flash new paint job, a new interior, a flash new name (the MD Placebo-liner?), build the expectation in the press over quite a few months - auction a few tickets on ebay etc etc....

Then after the first flight give the survey - I have a feeling the answers (apart from the non digital window shades of course) would be largely the same.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:06 am

I often wonder (particularly in those markets where new automatically = better) if you'd get similar results dragging some tired old DC9 (with 60,000+ cycles)out of the boneyard, give it a flash new paint job, a new interior, a flash new name (the MD Placebo-liner?), build the expectation in the press over quite a few months - auction a few tickets on ebay etc etc....

Then after the first flight give the survey - I have a feeling the answers (apart from the non digital window shades of course) would be largely the same.
See if you can find a passenger satisfaction survey for the 737 with the Sky interior.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”