737 troubles, the latest news...

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Verbal

737 troubles, the latest news...

Postby Verbal » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:20 pm

Boeing 737 Production Rate Increases to 35 per Month

SEATTLE, June 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA) today announced a second production rate increase on the Next-Generation 737 program, taking the rate from the previously announced 34 airplanes per month to 35 in early 2012.

In May, Boeing cited continued strong demand for the Next-Generation 737 as reason to ramp-up production from 31.5 to 34 airplanes per month and indicated plans to study further increases. Today's announcement acknowledges the anticipated long-term growth in this market segment and the continued pressure to raise airplane output to match expected market demand.

"Our customers continue to show their preference for the Next-Generation 737 by exercising order options as well as by placing new orders," said Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and CEO Jim Albaugh. "We've managed our current backlog efficiently and increasing rate is the product of our comprehensive planning and preparation. We will continue to monitor demand as we go forward."

Boeing and its suppliers will prepare for the rate increase over the next 18 months, assessing readiness and ensuring an orderly ramp-up from the current 31.5 airplanes per month. The rate increase is not expected to have a material impact on 2010 financial results.

The Next-Generation 737 program continues to innovate in the areas of improved navigation, performance and passenger comfort. The program will deliver its first 737 Boeing Sky Interior in October and is progressing with its implementation of a package of performance improvements by early 2012 that are expected to reduce fuel consumption by 2 percent.
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1262
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

PurduePilot

Re: 737 troubles, the latest news...

Postby PurduePilot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:45 am

Do you know why Albaugh switched from IDS to BCA?

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:18 am

"from the previously announced 34 airplanes per month to 35 in early 2012." Gee. that is some increase? Are they still manufacturing those relics?
Per

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:11 pm

"from the previously announced 34 airplanes per month to 35 in early 2012." Gee. that is some increase? Are they still manufacturing those relics?
Per
Amazing story....the 737 continues.

In the meantime the following aircraft have come and gone from production.

DC-10
L-1011
Fokker-100
Concorde
and most notably, the 757.

(This list is ripe for pedantic attack).
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:25 pm

"The Next-Generation 737 program continues to innovate in the areas of improved navigation, performance and passenger comfort."

Passenger comfort? How?

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:56 pm

Are they still manufacturing those relics?

Giles

Postby Giles » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Point me at the sky and let it fly!

ooops. I meant to say;

Yes!

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:27 am

"The Next-Generation 737 program continues to innovate in the areas of improved navigation, performance and passenger comfort."

Passenger comfort? How?
That is interesting.
Improved navigation. They will find their destination every time?
Performance. The new Concorde?
Passenger comfort. What passenger comfort?
Per

Postby 666 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Per
They'll make the cabin a little wider and quiter, and then they call it the 737-320.

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:39 am

The new 'sky interiors' are far superior to the existing interior.
"We are running an airline not a circus," - Qantas spokeswoman

Procede

Postby Procede » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:11 pm

Is that sky as in pleather?

AndyToop

Postby AndyToop » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Personally I'm more comfortable in planes where the sky is an exterior feature.

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:55 pm

so you are not a fan of the Aloha 737 Cabrio version??
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:41 pm

I knew they were planning to put the Dreamliner-style interior in the 747-8. I didn't realize they were trying to start putting it in the 737s as well.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:02 pm

Five-Incher
Free hand jobs. Totally.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Five-Incher
Free hand jobs. Totally.
Not my idea of comfort, not my idea of sex.
Per

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:38 am

Five-Incher
Free hand jobs. Totally.
Not my idea of comfort, not my idea of sex.
Per
But not a bad way to end a massage, am I right? Pretty standard on Airport Road in Everett.

tds
Location: ...a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm

Postby tds » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:51 pm

But not a bad way to end a massage, am I right? Pretty standard on Airport Road in Everett.
It may be (I'm sure the execs appreciate it) but this is no the way to advance your career.

OldSowBreath

Postby OldSowBreath » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:59 pm

:clap:

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:22 am

It may be (I'm sure the execs appreciate it) but this is no the way to advance your career.
It's better than the human centipede way. :?

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:01 pm

Aug. 30, 2011 8:04 am CT
Boeing launches 737 new engine variant with commitments for 496 airplanes

Boeing's board of directors has approved the formal launch of the new engine variant of the market-leading 737, with order commitments from five customers for 496 airplanes.

"The re-engined 737 will allow Boeing to continue to deliver the most fuel efficient, most capable airplane with the lowest operating costs in the single-aisle market," said Commercial Airplanes President and CEO Jim Albaugh.

"This, coupled with industry-leading reliability and maintainability, is what customers have told us they want. As a result, we are seeing overwhelming demand for this new and improved version of the 737. We are working with our customers to finalize these and other agreements in the weeks and months ahead," Albaugh said.

Building on the strengths of Next-Generation 737, the new airplane family will deliver the highest levels of efficiency, reliability and appeal in the single-aisle market segment.

The new 737 family will be powered by new CFM International LEAP-1B engines optimized for the 737. It will have the lowest operating costs in the single-aisle segment with a 7 percent advantage over the competition.

Commercial Airplanes is scheduled to begin delivering the new airplane to customers in 2017.

"Customers tell us they want to improve profitability and fuel efficiency while reducing their environmental footprint," said Albaugh. "This solution meets all three of those needs."

In a live internal webcast at 11 a.m. PDT today, Albaugh will introduce the new 737 family and answer questions from the media.

When compared to a fleet of 100 of today's most fuel-efficient airplanes, a similar-size fleet of this new model will emit 277,000 fewer tons of carbon dioxide and save nearly 175 million pounds of fuel per year, which translates into $85 million in cost savings. The airplane's fuel burn is expected to be 16 percent lower than our competitor's current offering and 4 percent lower than their future offering.

Bob Feldmann has been named vice president and general manager to lead the new 737 family program. With 35 years of aerospace experience, Feldmann most recently led the Surveillance and Engagement division within Boeing Military Aircraft, a unit of Boeing Defense, Space & Security that includes several commercial derivative programs. He has been instrumental in leading the development of complex programs such as the EA-18G Growler and the 737-based P-8A Poseidon and has shown a clear ability to deliver results.

Michael Teal has been named vice president, chief project engineer and deputy program manager. Teal's most recent role was vice president and chief project engineer on the 747-8 program where he was was responsible for the safety and product integrity of the airplane. He also had responsibility for the integration of engineering design and product compliance to the regulatory standards of Boeing and the federal government; for maintaining product competitiveness; and for leading product development efforts.

The 737 is the world's most popular and reliable commercial jet transport. The 737 family has won orders for more than 9,000 airplanes. Boeing forecasts global demand for more than 23,000 airplanes in the 737's market segment over the next 20 years at a value of nearly $2 trillion.

The new airplane is an extension of the continuous improvement of the 737 that has provided superior value to Boeing customers. Today's Next-Generation 737s are up to 7 percent more fuel-efficient than the first airplanes delivered in 1998.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:22 pm

Aug. 30, 2011 8:04 am CT
Boeing launches 737 new engine variant with commitments for 496 airplanes

Boeing's board of directors has approved the formal launch of the new engine variant of the market-leading 737, with order commitments from five customers for 496 airplanes.

"The re-engined 737 will allow Boeing to continue to deliver the most fuel efficient, most capable airplane with the lowest operating costs in the single-aisle market," said Commercial Airplanes President and CEO Jim Albaugh.

"This, coupled with industry-leading reliability and maintainability, is what customers have told us they want. As a result, we are seeing overwhelming demand for this new and improved version of the 737. We are working with our customers to finalize these and other agreements in the weeks and months ahead," Albaugh said.

Building on the strengths of Next-Generation 737, the new airplane family will deliver the highest levels of efficiency, reliability and appeal in the single-aisle market segment.

The new 737 family will be powered by new CFM International LEAP-1B engines optimized for the 737. It will have the lowest operating costs in the single-aisle segment with a 7 percent advantage over the competition.

Commercial Airplanes is scheduled to begin delivering the new airplane to customers in 2017.

"Customers tell us they want to improve profitability and fuel efficiency while reducing their environmental footprint," said Albaugh. "This solution meets all three of those needs."

In a live internal webcast at 11 a.m. PDT today, Albaugh will introduce the new 737 family and answer questions from the media.

When compared to a fleet of 100 of today's most fuel-efficient airplanes, a similar-size fleet of this new model will emit 277,000 fewer tons of carbon dioxide and save nearly 175 million pounds of fuel per year, which translates into $85 million in cost savings. The airplane's fuel burn is expected to be 16 percent lower than our competitor's current offering and 4 percent lower than their future offering.

Bob Feldmann has been named vice president and general manager to lead the new 737 family program. With 35 years of aerospace experience, Feldmann most recently led the Surveillance and Engagement division within Boeing Military Aircraft, a unit of Boeing Defense, Space & Security that includes several commercial derivative programs. He has been instrumental in leading the development of complex programs such as the EA-18G Growler and the 737-based P-8A Poseidon and has shown a clear ability to deliver results.

Michael Teal has been named vice president, chief project engineer and deputy program manager. Teal's most recent role was vice president and chief project engineer on the 747-8 program where he was was responsible for the safety and product integrity of the airplane. He also had responsibility for the integration of engineering design and product compliance to the regulatory standards of Boeing and the federal government; for maintaining product competitiveness; and for leading product development efforts.

The 737 is the world's most popular and reliable commercial jet transport. The 737 family has won orders for more than 9,000 airplanes. Boeing forecasts global demand for more than 23,000 airplanes in the 737's market segment over the next 20 years at a value of nearly $2 trillion.

The new airplane is an extension of the continuous improvement of the 737 that has provided superior value to Boeing customers. Today's Next-Generation 737s are up to 7 percent more fuel-efficient than the first airplanes delivered in 1998.

You've convinced me.
I'll take a dozen.
do you deliver?
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:34 pm

do you deliver?

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:00 pm