Longest Flight

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Re: Longest Flight

Postby 3WE » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:14 am

I prefer to have a hand on the throttles.

Tust me, I know what I am doing.
WOW...Just like they teach in 172-school* (along with stall prevention and recovery).

*Correction, they do not say leave a hand on the throttleS
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:53 am

How many crew are on this?
Two
Is that a 2 + 2 setup?

I've seen the bunkhouse in that thing and it sucks!
you still have to find a crew willing to fly this "barely airworthy" heap
no such thing as "barely airworthy" it's either Airworthy or Not
100% incorrect Ever hear of Ferry Permit? issued for Non airworthy aircraft
LOL

Melissa
Mrs. ISGPOTM

Postby Melissa » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Melissa* PPL SEL, Instrument Airplane, Complex Airplane Endorsement, IGI.
Official Winner of the ASF (Version 1.0) Aviation Safety Quiz 2006
Official Winner of the ad.info (Version 1.1) Fantasy Football League "Cleared For Touchdown" 2009

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:18 pm

:clap:
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Dummy Pilot

Postby Dummy Pilot » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:39 pm

Any schmuck can fly 8000 miles. Try flying 10 miles and see how that goes.....
Aircraft McDonnell Douglas MD-88 (twin-jet) (MD88/Q - track or photos)

Origin LaGuardia (KLGA - track or info)
Destination John F Kennedy Intl (KJFK - track or info)

Route WRENN PUGGS CCC DPK (Decode)
Date Friday, September 24 2010
Duration 23 minutes
Status result unknown (?) (track log & graph)
Distance Direct: 10 sm Planned: 115 sm

Departure 06:55PM EDT 08:43PM EDT 08:43PM EDT
Arrival 07:18PM EDT 08:43PM EDT result unknown (?) (track log & graph)
Speed 291 kts
Altitude 9,000 feet

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:49 pm

115 miles and 9000 feet to go 10 miles.

Amazing

IntheShade
ISGPOTM, 2nd only to Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger

Postby IntheShade » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:28 am

A few more observation derived from the above flight:

The communication system is based uopn SATCOM, ACARS, DATA LINK and VOICE. Used properly it greatly reduces voice transmission by sending/returning messages such as position reporting, ATIS, clearances, and certain ATC request/instructions along with company messages. In addition you can send messages to other DATA LINK aircraft. The configuration of the system reminds me of early FMS attempts. Lots of magic introduced to the cockpit but a bit unwieldly to use. In my opinion the next generation will probably be closer to what in envisioned for the Comm package.

But--The FMS system is a newer generation of FMS from the MD-11 and is very thought out. The MD-11 FMS was an earlier generation of the same system and for the day, rocket science. In fact the MD-11 FMS is a more powerful FMS in what it does, but is hampered by slower processing time and complex layout. Being comfortable with it took several months of use. The 777 FMS on the other hand corrected many of the earlier generation FMS problems by reducing the MD FMS by approx 2/3. This is accomplished by losing 1/3 of the MD FMS functions and then folding the other 2/3 togther into an overlap. What results is a very simple but functional system that is very easy to use in all phases of flight, yet a slightly less capable system. One example of this is approach building. In the MD this was a convulted several step process while on the 777 it is simply selecting the runway and executing--but the MD computed approach speeds for the approach based on weight which were then displayed on the speed tape as the aircraft was configured while commanding the autothrottles to fly the computed speeds. The 777 does none of this, making the pilot reference a speed based on weight then manually select airspeeds on the Flight Control Panel as the aircraft is configured.

Another interesting difference is the courier sections of each aircraft. Both were designed as Intercontinental cruisers and as such augmented aircrew aircraft. Because the MD was actually an updated DC10 the courier section was biased to an even earlier generation of aircraft (I think anyway). The crew rest bunks on the MD (jokingly called "Captain in a Box") were a set of bunk beds which by electric motor retracted into itself by half when not in useage. This was because of space within the courier section being limited. In the "Capt. in a box" aircraft seating is not provided in the courier section, so to sit one had to be in one of the cockpit jumpseats. In addition the bunks were small and tapered in shape making the foot area rather small. The break line where the system folded into itself does not seal perfectly creating a constant draft within the sleeping area. It worked, but not very well. The 777 on the other hand has two twin sized bunks in a dedicated bunk area. Tempature control is perfect, no airleaks and very comfortable and quiet. In the courier section are four First Class seats as well as kitchen, luggage area, electrical outlets and lav. This area is much better than any First Class section in passenger service. As a side note the two cockpit jumpseat are also very comfortable permanent seats instead of the usual fold up "ironing boards".

In the kitchen area the oven is a modern upgrade. The MD oven was perfect for making jerky. The 777 oven has a built in humidifier, food specific tempature settings/timing, and set function selection for specific items.
Aviation Pilot, Author, Genius

IntheShade

Postby IntheShade » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:32 am

Any schmuck can fly 8000 miles. Try flying 10 miles and see how that goes.....

]

Although I doubt many people get the real jist of what you are saying, as Bill Clinton famously said....

"I feel your pain."

I flew an MD-11 from Oakland to San Francisco several times. Talk about things happening fast and furious!

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:57 pm

When are Fedex bringing these babies to SYD Charles??? Though I dont want to see the MD-11's go off the route just yet :cry:
"We are running an airline not a circus," - Qantas spokeswoman

IntheShade

Postby IntheShade » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:37 pm

When are Fedex bringing these babies to SYD Charles??? Though I dont want to see the MD-11's go off the route just yet :cry:
Things change weekly so what I am about to tell you may already be wrong but I spoke directly with the head of Air Ops and he stated the problem with SYD and the 777 is not enough cargo and the plan was to leave it an MD11 city and maybe eventually replace the MD11 with a FDX China domicled aircraft and crew. Right now the China based crew fly hte A300 but there is talk of removing the Aibus and replacing it with MD10.

He also stated to me that the current plan is to have all current MD11 aircraft flying until 2025 except for a few specific airframes which have airframe, corrosion, or lease problems. He also stated that they would be looking to pick up any MD bargains to add into the fleet although this would only be a few airframes.

But like I stated, the above information is already a month old and could be drastically different now.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:33 pm

The communication system is based uopn SATCOM, ACARS, DATA LINK and VOICE. Used properly it greatly reduces voice transmission by sending/returning messages such as position reporting, ATIS, clearances, and certain ATC request/instructions along with company messages. In addition you can send messages to other DATA LINK aircraft. The configuration of the system reminds me of early FMS attempts. Lots of magic introduced to the cockpit but a bit unwieldly to use. In my opinion the next generation will probably be closer to what in envisioned for the Comm package.
You didn't mention the most important part--can you check email and update Facebook from it, or do you still need a laptop to distract yourself?

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:57 pm

Things change weekly so what I am about to tell you may already be wrong but I spoke directly with the head of Air Ops and he stated the problem with SYD and the 777 is not enough cargo and the plan was to leave it an MD11 city and maybe eventually replace the MD11 with a FDX China domicled aircraft and crew. Right now the China based crew fly hte A300 but there is talk of removing the Aibus and replacing it with MD10.

He also stated to me that the current plan is to have all current MD11 aircraft flying until 2025 except for a few specific airframes which have airframe, corrosion, or lease problems. He also stated that they would be looking to pick up any MD bargains to add into the fleet although this would only be a few airframes.

But like I stated, the above information is already a month old and could be drastically different now.
Thanks, Yeah Cargo seems to have dropped into Australia we have seen Cargolux recently pull out of Australia and now onlky fly into SIN and whatever cargo from them into Australia now comes with SQ Cargo. Though domestic cargo within Australia is quite high (well from what Im handling it is), anyway congrats on your achivements and enjoy the T7, love this thread too and the insight on the differences between the MD-11 and the T7.

IntheShade

Postby IntheShade » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Well then here are a few more random observation:

Walking under the MD is like walking under a tube. It for the most part is rounded from nose to tail. The 777 on the other hand has a vast expanse of flat area located under the wing. Part of this feeling may be exagerated due to the lack of center gear in the area the MD has one.

The main wheel truck of the MD are big. On the 777 they are huge and complex. The rearmost axle articulates to help turn radius. One of the odd thing on the MD main tires were ever present horizontal breaks in the tire rubber. This is caused by 90 deg turn on the inboard tires stressing on concrete during the turn causing the rubber to shear. The 777 appears not to have this problem.

On a properly flown approach the runway appears to stabilize in the lower windscreen. On the 777 it is in the center of the windscreen. Initially this was a little concerning for me because this sight picture in the MD would have meant an approach speed of approx 180KIAS. Closer to the ground this illusion dissappears.

The cockpit of the MD is filled with knobs, switches, handles. Most are about 2/3 smaller than 777 knobs and switches. For some reason the larger knobs, buttons, switches in the 777 have a way of making the airplane feel dumbed down from the MD although in fact they are better equipment.

The MD 11 is like whiskey. If you know what you are doing it is fun, but go to far and it will bite you.

The 777 is like extra virgin olive oil. It pairs with anything in the world, enhances it while not becoming overpowering. But it's also never exciting.

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:20 am

Walking under the MD is like walking under a tube. It for the most part is rounded from nose to tail. The 777 on the other hand has a vast expanse of flat area located under the wing. Part of this feeling may be exagerated due to the lack of center gear in the area the MD has one.
Thanks for the insight Chaz, this is pretty cool.

It's not an exagerated feeling. The 777 has a much larger wing to body fairing area, due to housing the (quite large) inert gas (nitrogen) generating system for the center fuel tank.
you still have to find a crew willing to fly this "barely airworthy" heap
no such thing as "barely airworthy" it's either Airworthy or Not
100% incorrect Ever hear of Ferry Permit? issued for Non airworthy aircraft
LOL

B77W-QOTS

Postby B77W-QOTS » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:31 am

The main wheel truck of the MD are big. On the 777 they are huge and complex. The rearmost axle articulates to help turn radius. One of the odd thing on the MD main tires were ever present horizontal breaks in the tire rubber. This is caused by 90 deg turn on the inboard tires stressing on concrete during the turn causing the rubber to shear. The 777 appears not to have this problem.

On a properly flown approach the runway appears to stabilize in the lower windscreen. On the 777 it is in the center of the windscreen. Initially this was a little concerning for me because this sight picture in the MD would have meant an approach speed of approx 180KIAS. Closer to the ground this illusion dissappears.

The cockpit of the MD is filled with knobs, switches, handles. Most are about 2/3 smaller than 777 knobs and switches. For some reason the larger knobs, buttons, switches in the 777 have a way of making the airplane feel dumbed down from the MD although in fact they are better equipment.

The MD 11 is like whiskey. If you know what you are doing it is fun, but go to far and it will bite you.

The 777 is like extra virgin olive oil. It pairs with anything in the world, enhances it while not becoming overpowering. But it's also never exciting.
Ive never walked under a MD-11 so I cant compare but I have walked under a B777 and agree it is very flat on the underside especially around the main gear area, sounds like the MD-11 is more like your B737 fuselage, very round, thing I like about the B777 is at least I dont have to 'duck' to walk under it :D

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:15 am

I like the whiskey/oil analogy, it makes sense (even if some people think that the world of olive oil is anything but dull, but that is another matter)
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Shadey, N883FD will be ready for you to come out and pick up from Everett on or around the 14th of October.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

IntheShade

Postby IntheShade » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Shadey, N883FD will be ready for you to come out and pick up from Everett on or around the 14th of October.

I would except everyone who picks up a delivery airplane gets a new headset and I am to junior to partake of this.

I did however pick up a airplane out of heavy check from New Iberia LA and did get a box of cajun rice and hot sauce.

IntheShade

Postby IntheShade » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Landed PANC yesterday in 30 kts wind.

Extremely easy.

IntheShade

Postby IntheShade » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Forgot to mention: One leg and seven hours from now my checkout for the 777 is completed.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:43 pm

Landed PANC yesterday in 30 kts wind.

Extremely easy.
You don't mean in smooth and steady 30kts headwinds, do you?

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:59 pm

You don't mean in smooth and steady 30kts headwinds, do you?
Gabriel:

In a recent PM, you told me a joke regarding a spherical, frictionless horse.

I think that these horses (or donkeys?) exist in the magical world of steady, smooth 30 kt winds and unicorns.

:D

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:06 am

I think that these horses (or donkeys?) exist in the magical world of steady, smooth 30 kt winds and unicorns.
Yes, there too.
But here, in the real world, 30kts steady winds happen more often than unicorns (or spherical, frictionless horces for the matter), although not nearly as often as nasty, gusting 30kts winds.
Don't know in PANC though. (and certainly not in the airfield I used to fly that was surrounded by tree lines, houses and hangars that guaranteed a good bunch of turbulence whenever there was any wind, let alone a 30kts one in which I never flied)

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:07 am

Yes, there too.
But here, in the real world, 30kts steady winds happen more often than unicorns (or spherical, frictionless horces for the matter), although not nearly as often as nasty, gusting 30kts winds.
Don't know in PANC though. (and certainly not in the airfield I used to fly that was surrounded by tree lines, houses and hangars that guaranteed a good bunch of turbulence whenever there was any wind, let alone a 30kts one in which I never flied)

Be careful that you don't get lost on the infinite plane of uniform density

IntheShade

Postby IntheShade » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:07 am

Done!. I am now 777 Capt.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”