Norwegian stalls Dreamliner purchase talks

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

el

Norwegian stalls Dreamliner purchase talks

Postby el » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Budget airline Norwegian Air has suspended talks on buying 20 Dreamliner planes from Boeing because of a delay in receiving US backing for its long-haul plans, according to its chief executive Bjoern Kjos.

The airline may also reconsider plans to locate its long-haul operations in Ireland, giving up the advantage of having a European Union-based carrier, Mr Kjos told Transport Minister Leo Varadkar in a letter dated April 23.

Norwegian launched flights to the US and Bangkok from its Nordic bases last year and obtained an Irish air operators’ certificate, hoping to base the business in the EU, where it can operate under more favourable conditions and take advantage of the Open Skies trade between the US and the EU.

Norwegian Air is operating its flights to the US under a temporary permit issued by the Oslo government.

Its application to the US Department of Transportation for a permanent license, made via Norwegian’s Irish affiliate, has been fiercely contested by its rivals and by unions.

They argue that Norwegian Air is simply trying to escape high Nordic labour costs and wants to employ cheap Thai crew, gaining an unfair advantage.

“Unfortunately, the delay in the Department of Transportation process has given us no other choice than to put our ongoing negotiations with Boeing to purchase 20 new 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft — due to be registered in Ireland — on hold until Norwegian Air International’s future in the US has been decided,” Mr Kjos said in the letter.

“An additional delay — or in the worst case, a negative decision by the US Department of Transportation — may regrettably force us to reverse our commitment to build an international long-haul airline in Ireland,” he said.

Norwegian has been expanding at breakneck pace in recent years and has more than 200 aircraft on order. It is opening bases across Europe and plans to take on one of the most competitive markets this summer, launching long-haul flights between London and New York.

If it left Ireland, where its long-haul planes are registered, it would rebase them in Norway, where it has a permit to operate, Mr Kjos said.

The firm already has commitments to buy or lease 14 Dreamliners but it has been looking for additional planes, because it consumes 20% less fuel than older jets. The 20 new Dreamliners have a combined list price of $5bn (€3.60bn).

flyboy2548m

Re: Norwegian stalls Dreamliner purchase talks

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:16 pm

They can burn in hell, as far as I'm concerned, they're not an airline, but a scam.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:43 pm

They can burn in hell, as far as I'm concerned, they're not an airline, but a scam.
Then I take it that, even if you now could afford it, you would never take a cruise on a cruise liner considering they are all under flags of convenience and staffed with underpaid crew from the third world?
The world is changing, I've gone from Norwegian flag and crew to Maltese flag and Spanish crew to Philippine flag and crew. What's stopping the airlines from doing the same? Not much in the long run and it is already happening.
Per

PS The scam or Norwegian Air Shuttle is apparantly doing pretty good.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:25 am

Then I take it that, even if you now could afford it, you would never take a cruise on a cruise liner considering they are all under flags of convenience and staffed with underpaid crew from the third world?
The world is changing, I've gone from Norwegian flag and crew to Maltese flag and Spanish crew to Philippine flag and crew. What's stopping the airlines from doing the same? Not much in the long run and it is already happening.
Per

I wouldn't take a cruise ship period, I don't find the idea of a floating drunk tank appealing.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Per

I wouldn't take a cruise ship period, I don't find the idea of a floating drunk tank appealing.
Sorry the above post made from my Samsung phone, my finger's too fat. Below is more like it.

See, we can agree on something, they also crash, sink and burn.
Per

monchavo
Site Admin

Postby monchavo » Thu May 01, 2014 11:33 pm

re: thai brides - do you see them a lot in Norway? It seems an awfully odd place to go for young Thai women... ;(
____
Join the airdisaster Discord - https://discord.gg/A59Vdw73ET

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Fri May 02, 2014 7:02 am

re: thai brides - do you see them a lot in Norway? It seems an awfully odd place to go for young Thai women... ;(
We do. Thai, Pilippinas, Russkies, Americans, Brits...............poor people who wants to live the good life. With the global warming they feel right at home.
Per

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri May 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Saw their cabin crew checking in at FLL the other night. Didn't exactly look like the cream of Thai crop, but still way better than any US hosties.

el

Postby el » Thu May 08, 2014 7:35 am

Norwegian To Lease More 787-9s
Controversial low-fare airline Norwegian Air Shuttle on Wednesday announced it has signed agreements to lease three new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners for its long-haul operation, in an interim move to shore up its fleet while it awaits U.S. Department of Transportation approval to fly more 787s to the U.S. under an Irish license. It expects to take delivery of two of the 787-9s in 2016 and the third in 2017. A Norwegian spokesperson wouldn’t disclose the identity of the latest lessor, but said the airline would reveal more later in the week, once it signs a firm order.

Norwegian now flies five 787-8s and holds earlier firm orders for another three of the smallest Dreamliners and six 787-9s; the lease deal announced Wednesday raises to 17 the number of Dreamliners slated to enter its long-haul fleet by 2018.

The carrier recently suspended talks with Boeing to order another twenty 787-9s because of the delay in U.S. DOT approvals. It now flies to the U.S. under temporary DOT approval on a Norwegian license, but wants to take advantage of an EU-U.S. open skies agreement by flying under an air operator certificate issued by Ireland. However, it has faced political barriers erected in part by U.S. labor unions and competing airlines, which claim that the airline wants to circumvent Norwegian labor laws by using its Irish certificate while flying with Thai crew from its Oslo base. The plan, according to its U.S. opponents, amounts to a so-called flag of convenience scheme prohibited by the International Civil Aviation Organization.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Thu May 08, 2014 12:44 pm

Saw their cabin crew checking in at FLL the other night. Didn't exactly look like the cream of Thai crop, but still way better than any US hosties.
Only used Norwegian once, to Gran Canaria to visit no.1 daughter, but can't remember the cabin crew so probably quite ordinary. Will definitely not try their long haul anytime soon, way too many delays and cancellations.
Per

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon May 12, 2014 6:07 pm

Dagbladet.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon May 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Dagbladet.

Yeees, and? We also have VG, Aftenposten, Dagens Næringsliv and a few more. Sooooooooo?
Per

tds
Location: ...a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm

Postby tds » Thu May 15, 2014 1:53 am

Dagbladet.
Monchavo, the profanity filter is broken.

Rabbi O'Genius

Postby Rabbi O'Genius » Thu May 15, 2014 12:10 pm

Dagbladet.
Monchavo, the profanity filter is broken.
IIRC it was the preferred profanity of Yosemite Sam, who used to wander off grumbling.....
...............dagbladet cotton-pickin' rabbit.........
......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne

J

Postby J » Thu May 15, 2014 3:05 pm

ALPA is running radio ads in the DC market calling on DOY Secretary Foxx to refuse to allow the airline to serve the US.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri May 16, 2014 1:19 am

ALPA is running radio ads in the DC market calling on DOY Secretary Foxx to refuse to allow the airline to serve the US.
I'd impound their Pantyliners, too.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Fri May 16, 2014 7:22 am

The funny thing is that Norwegian's senior Thai cabin crew on average stake home lightly more than their US colleagues, juniors slightly less. Us Norskies are off course making waaaaay more than either, but we of course deserve it. Don't know about pilots.
Per

Edit . Found the figures.
Cabin crew, junior: 469.788 (Norway), 196.613 (Thailand), 212.092 (USA)
Cabin crew senior: 510.126 (Norway), 231.166 (Thailand), 231.290 (USA)

(How the hell can anyone survive on NOK 212.00/year?) :o

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Fri May 16, 2014 12:50 pm

Us Norskies are off course making waaaaay more than either, but still much less than Putt4Par
Fixed.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Fri May 16, 2014 2:09 pm

Not so sure about that, P4P apparently does not have enough money left to pay for his internet connection.
Per

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Fri May 16, 2014 5:53 pm

The funny thing is that Norwegian's senior Thai cabin crew on average stake home lightly more than their US colleagues, juniors slightly less. Us Norskies are off course making waaaaay more than either, but we of course deserve it. Don't know about pilots.
Per

The difference in living expences between Norway and Thailand is probably quite significant, I am sure both cucumbers and beer are much cheaper to buy in Asia. As for the US, the difference is likely not as big, and I am surprised to see the Thai crew catching up with the US crew.

One thing is the straight salary, but when you factor in various living expenses, in broad terms the left overs for fun and games come out to the same amount, measured in local buying power.

So that is why it is impossible for a Danish pilot to work for a Baltic company and maintain a Danish domicile (Have a friend who had that predicament a few years back) and it explains the desire for companies to hire low paid workers and let them work where the local workers are 'too expensive'.

Nothing really new in this, but the problem is getting bigger in a more globalized world, where travel is so cheap that it is offset by the lower wages.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Fri May 16, 2014 6:46 pm

Per

The difference in living expences between Norway and Thailand is probably quite significant, I am sure both cucumbers and beer are much cheaper to buy in Asia. As for the US, the difference is likely not as big, and I am surprised to see the Thai crew catching up with the US crew.

One thing is the straight salary, but when you factor in various living expenses, in broad terms the left overs for fun and games come out to the same amount, measured in local buying power.

So that is why it is impossible for a Danish pilot to work for a Baltic company and maintain a Danish domicile (Have a friend who had that predicament a few years back) and it explains the desire for companies to hire low paid workers and let them work where the local workers are 'too expensive'.

Nothing really new in this, but the problem is getting bigger in a more globalized world, where travel is so cheap that it is offset by the lower wages.

Why do you think a few Americans are filthy rich? Because they pay the majority peanuts.
Per

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”