AA Cancels all Flights at DFW Due Winds

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Dmmoore
08/12/1946 - 06/05/2009 Rest In Peace

AA Cancels all Flights at DFW Due Winds

Postby Dmmoore » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:51 pm

Don
As accomplished by managers around the world
READY - FIRE - AIM!

PurduePilot

Re: AA Cancels all Flights at DFW Due Winds

Postby PurduePilot » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:48 pm

KDFW 181538Z 36022G59KT 5SM TSRA SQ SCT008 BKN011 OVC041CB 18/12 A2964 RMK AO2 PK WND 02059/1530 WSHFT 1521 OCNL LTGIC OHD-NE TS CB OHD-NE MOV NE P0013
KDFW 181535Z 35026G59KT 2SM TSRA SQ BKN008 BKN017 OVC039CB 18/12 A2966 RMK AO2 PK WND 02059/1530 WSHFT 1521 SFC VIS 4 OCNL LTGIC OHD-NE TS CB OHD-NE MOV NE P0012

What, if anything, do they do with the airplanes at the gates during these situations? Obviously most thunderstorms wouldn't be strong enough to move a heavy, but do they chain them down or anything, or just chock them and hope for the best? If a tornado hit the terminal area, that'd be a lot of airplanes full of jet fuel getting flung into the buildings and each other...

Robert Hilton

Postby Robert Hilton » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:59 pm

As you rightly pointed out, heavies don't tend to move much although fuelling them up and turning them into wind are reasonable precautions. Light aircraft, well, in the hanger is best but you can tie it down (picketting) if need be.

VectorForFood

Postby VectorForFood » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:42 pm

I've seen various different things airlines do... they definately try and move the bridges themselves away from the aircraft, chock all gear, for smaller craft some airlines will attach a tug and towbar, although depending on the size that could be a bad thing if the airplane tries to weathercock.

Dmmoore

Postby Dmmoore » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:07 pm

During my 12 years in Alaska I experienced several weather related events.
The first was a 707 on an Icy ramp at PACD (CDB or Cold Bay) weather veining into the wind. The aircraft rotated on the R/H MLG about 90 degrees to the right placing the nose gear on the dirt next to the ramp. The sliding nose gear missed the emergency fuel pit controls by a few feet, No damage to the aircraft. CDB had no method of moving a 707 (no tug or tow bar) so the aircraft was backed up (loaded with 68,000 pounds of cargo and 90,000 pounds of fuel) using engine reverse thrust. The whole town turned out to watch.

In ANC during one December, on three different occasions a 727-100 suffered a tail squat. Two were wind related, one was due to heavy snow fall. After the third one Operations agreed to load a ballast pallet in position one during winter layovers. No damage was caused by these events.

Most wind related damage is caused by objects blowing into the aircraft. The wing engine nacelles are most easily damaged. The fuselage is tougher although I have had one or two cases where repairs were required.
Don
READY - FIRE - AIM!

RadarContactLost

Postby RadarContactLost » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:04 am

I heard they abandoned the west tower for a while due to a funnel cloud reported in the area. I was at the old office about 500 yards away where they were auctioning the guts of my old job. Didn't stop business for minute. (I got a tach off a Dart engine (green tagged) and a couple of torque wenches and dial caliper. Could have bought a tug - for $12,500.)
You're not a Freight Dawg unless you've shot the ILS to 23L at KYIP in a transport category aircraft no longer used in passenger service. You're OG if it had a tailwheel or BMEP gauges.

AndyToop

Postby AndyToop » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:02 pm

a couple of torque wenches
:lol:

Dmmoore

Postby Dmmoore » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:47 pm

I heard they abandoned the west tower for a while due to a funnel cloud reported in the area. I was at the old office about 500 yards away where they were auctioning the guts of my old job. Didn't stop business for minute. (I got a tach off a Dart engine (green tagged) and a couple of torque wenches and dial caliper. Could have bought a tug - for $12,500.)
I've never enjoyed picking the bones of a failed business but if you can pickup something you really need at a reasonable price, why not.

I also heard the report of the West tower evacuation.

I haven't heard of any major aircraft damage caused by the storms but the property damage in some areas is incredible.
Don
READY - FIRE - AIM!

Dummy Pilot

Postby Dummy Pilot » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:14 pm

Well, American certainly thinks they did the right thing.....
American Airlines calls storm response a success

08:49 AM CDT on Thursday, March 20, 2008
By SUZANNE MARTA / The Dallas Morning News
smarta@dallasnews.com

American Airlines Inc. appears to have hit a sweet spot when it comes to handling severe weather.

By Wednesday evening – just one day after a massive thunderstorm system lashed North Texas and led American and partner American Eagle Inc. to cancel or interrupt flights for about 100,000 travelers – nearly all who were diverted or stuck at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport overnight were back on their way.

Except for a dozen morning flights that were canceled because airplanes were in the wrong places – and some unrelated hiccups in the chronically delayed New York-New Jersey market – operations at American's largest hub were normal.

Tuesday "was a validation that the programs and the software packages and all the procedures we've put in place since [the Dec. 29, 2006, thunderstorms] worked," said John Hotard, a spokesman for the carrier.

After canceling and delaying flights Tuesday, American had most of the affected passengers on their way Wednesday. American ended up with 134 diverted flights Tuesday – more than on any other day in the carrier's history, including 9/11.

If the carrier hadn't decided shortly before noon to cancel the rest of its schedule, it could have faced even more displaced planes and crews Wednesday – not to mention passengers.

American's experience could provide lessons for other carriers, said Mike Boyd, an aviation consultant based in Evergreen, Colo.

By canceling flights aggressively, the carrier minimized the number of planes that ended up out of position.

The decision also reduced the idle but on-duty hours wasted by flight crews so that Wednesday's flights could proceed as normally as possible.
Full Story Dallas Morning News

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Back when DL 191 crashed, it was reported that a plane at a gate was blown 3 to 5 feet- but I have no idea if it was chocked or anything. Oddly enough, I don't recall there being that high of winds recorded when DL-191 crashed....maybe 45 mph??? (Disclaimer, I recall reading that it was a net 70 kt wind change to the aircraft, I am speaking specifically about the winds observed off "the official anemommeter". Obviously to move a parked plane- there might have been higher "microgusts" at places other than where the "official anemmometer" is located.

Regarding parked planes "taking flight" I can't recall ever seeing a seriously displaced or flipped airliner....ever, and I guess we have almost 50 years of jet airliners, and you'd think there'd have been one tornado hit by now???

I see Dummy chiming in and he might comment on how fast the wind would have to be to make a parked plane fly?

Just thinking out loud- 1) The plane is clean 2) Does the fact that the plane landed with full flaps mean that there's some left over, nose-down trim?

Just guessing, maybe you'd need 200 to 250 MPH winds to make a jet airplane come close to flying in the wind????
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

RadarContactLost

Postby RadarContactLost » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:43 am

Back in 2002 a storm went through PHX and spun a couple of 727s around. Ours ended up needing some new belly skin due to the herd of baggage carts taking shelter under the wings.
You're not a Freight Dawg unless you've shot the ILS to 23L at KYIP in a transport category aircraft no longer used in passenger service. You're OG if it had a tailwheel or BMEP gauges.

sindeewell

Postby sindeewell » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:45 pm

My 2 cents:

A buddy of mine is a pilot with AA. He was in DFW on that day. His comments were simple: "In 23 years of flying, I have never seen anything like it. It was like the skies were trying to suck you up. Even though I missed a day of flying, I'm really glad that AA got their shit together and cancelled those flights."
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ~ WOW, what a ride~!!!

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”