Flight Report: Air Wisconsin, 4033. CRJ-200

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Flight Report: Air Wisconsin, 4033. CRJ-200

Postby 3WE » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:51 am

-Takeoff flaps were during LATER PARTS OF TAXI!!! (These damn RJ’s and the damn type-specific FCOM memory checklists that you don’t set flaps until AFTER starting the second engine!!!!!!...the fundamental over-riding concept should be to set them before any forward movement, to protect the finger joints of passengers mashing the hostie call button)

-No crew nudity was observed.

-IFE was my new smartphone GPS app that gave me speed, track and moderately accurate altitude. The moving map is only fair as it lacks the cellular/data stream (when in Airplane mode) to download details, but large cities and major highways and some topography/water bodies were identified.

The weather was generally VMC, so the beautiful American countryside was visible.

Flight comments: This is my first flight in some time on a CRJ-700. I swear I felt no power reductions except some brief ones shortly after takeoff during a level off. The rest of the time, right up to descent, I noted no power reductions. Flightaware and my GPS readings indicate a LONG, “slow” climb of around 1000 FPM to only 30,000 and then 32,000. I’m guessing this was a reflection of the oft-mentioned crappy performance of the CRJ-700?

Then again, these dudes might have been making a concerted effort to go faster- (we were delayed 30 min for a maintenance issue- and it was one of those halfway early flights).

I doubt flyboy would look at the vertical speeds and comment if we were climbing slow, but you never know.

I also noted that we were going awfully fast right up to near the outer marker…and then also noted our ground speed increase about 10 knots as we descended the final 2000 feet (not unusual)

You will note that we also took a Boeing-Bobby, radome- & windsheild-protecting wide-berth diversion around some not-super strong (but fleck-of-red) convection.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AWI4 ... /KPHL/KSTL
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”