Informe de vuelo con fotografías de jetes

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Informe de vuelo con fotografías de jetes

Postby 3WE » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:00 pm

Lo siguiente es para usted a No_soy_Carlos: Yo no he muertoed.

Flyover to San Juan, PR and back via Tampa on the way over and Orlando on the Way Back on WN

My "new observation" for this trip was that on the first flight, the inboard spoiler panel (just one of them) on my side was cocked slightly up and did not move from the gate to the runway through most of the takeoff run after which it seemed to go down. I am just a bit puzzled by this...while the wheel could have been cocked over a bit, I can't see the yoke being untouched until 80 knots, and assume that “controls free and correct” exists somewhere on the 737-713g model pre-takeoff checklists. I also noticed the same spoiler up on the second flight, but it retracted during taxi.

One of the flights was one of those total hostHE disasters. On the last leg home, I watched the Food Network “Chopped Program” for IFE.

I noted in another thread that I did not see any Trislanders, Cape Airways aircraft, nor DC-3s when I arrived. On the way out, I had some time to walk the concourses. I found Cape Air’s operation. It had moved from 5 years ago, and seemed much smaller (I recall at least 15-20 parking spots in the old days, and now it seemed like less than 10. I did not see any DC-3’s. I did see a bunch of Islanders, but no Puerto Rican DC-10’s/3-engine 172s. When I used to regularly visit PR for business, there was usually a Trislander present. However upon reading the accident section Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britten-Norman_Trislander), I infer that it may have crashed in the ocean and, much like MH-17, has never been found. :-( You’d think that would rank a multi-page conspiracy-laden thread, but then again, there’s no Air Bus FBW system to suspect as the cause.

Speaking of DC-10’s, I saw one depart as the taxi cab approached the airport. I could not see the livery but suspect it’s one that En La Sombra would be familiar with.

Attached are three jetphotos. One of the confluence of the Eastern Flyover America River with the Central America Flyover River, looking Westward, Note that at this time, the Central Flyover River (often nicknamed “big muddy” isn’t as muddy as the Eastern Flyover River. (By the way, these rivers are bigger than ANY river in Texas, so there Shady!)
20160207_085906.jpg
20160207_085906.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 5081 times
Another of Birmingham AL. If you zoom in, you can kind of make out the nasty topography on approach to Runway 18 where the UPS folks messed up their approach. :-(
20160207_092710.jpg
20160207_092710.jpg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 5081 times
Thirdly, a shot of greater Tampa, FL with a winglet that Evan thinks in hideous and AlexTWArude thinks is beautiful.
20160207_101537.jpg
20160207_101537.jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 5081 times
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: Informe de vuelo con fotografías de jetes

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:41 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:36 pm

...My "new observation" for this trip was that on the first flight, the inboard spoiler panel (just one of them) on my side was cocked slightly up and did not move from the gate to the runway through most of the takeoff run...
Yeah, I wondered about hitting the FA call button or rushing the cockpit, but decided to trust the great myriad of computer-monitoring things, trust the walk around by Domestic Average Genius FO Pilot of the Day, and to trust the ability of all the other numerous spoilers and ailerons and control systems of the sturdy metallic :) :) :) Boeing :) :) :) to over power this one errant control surface.

I did briefly consider how a knowledgeable member of another forum frowns on the maintenance efforts of this cost-cutting carrier.

elaw

Postby elaw » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:42 am

My "new observation" for this trip was that on the first flight, the inboard spoiler panel (just one of them) on my side was cocked slightly up and did not move from the gate to the runway through most of the takeoff run after which it seemed to go down...I also noticed the same spoiler up on the second flight, but it retracted during taxi.
This is a little tricky to explain, but it's a thing that happens sometimes when a boy airplane sees a girl airplane that it likes.

Did your parents not explain this stuff to you when you were young? 8-)
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:40 am

Yeah, I wondered about hitting the FA call button or rushing the cockpit...
I did intended to ask that, but totally did forgot.
but decided to trust the great myriad of computer-monitoring things, trust the walk around by Domestic Average Genius FO Pilot of the Day, and to trust the ability of all the other numerous spoilers and ailerons and control systems of the sturdy metallic :) :) :) Boeing :) :) :) to over power this one errant control surface.
Wrong, the :? :? :? Boeing :roll: :roll: :roll: is a decrepit 20th century antiqueliner with ancient cable-and-pulley control systems, incapable of protecting you from the usual pilot idiocy. I'm amazed you did not died a fiery death.
Mother told me everything the day I turned 25. There was some stork involvement...

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:43 pm

My "new observation" for this trip was that on the first flight, the inboard spoiler panel (just one of them) on my side was cocked slightly up and did not move from the gate to the runway through most of the takeoff run after which it seemed to go down...I also noticed the same spoiler up on the second flight, but it retracted during taxi.
This is a little tricky to explain, but it's a thing that happens sometimes when a boy airplane sees a girl airplane that it likes.

I disagree, and think we must have a heated, flame-war argument.

Do you not know the phrase, "Flying is the most fun you can do with your clothes on"? And don't regional crews commonly prove that after the fun of flying a regional jet becomes routine? I would think that this logically conflicts with your statement. Perhaps Gabriel can elaborate?

Then again, as I consider that sometimes anticipation is stronger than actual occurrences.... Use su panel de superficie de control suavemente?

:mrgreen:

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:45 pm

...Wrong, the :? :? :? Boeing :roll: :roll: :roll: is a decrepit 20th century antiqueliner with ancient cable-and-pulley control systems, incapable of protecting you from the usual pilot idiocy. I'm amazed you did not died a fiery death...

Indeed.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:52 pm

Use su panel de superficie de control suavemente?
I... I think I'm slightly... offended?

elaw

Postby elaw » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:15 pm

Do you not know the phrase, "Flying is the most fun you can do with your clothes on"? And don't regional crews commonly prove that after the fun of flying a regional jet becomes routine? I would think that this logically conflicts with your statement. Perhaps Gabriel can elaborate?
I think you are confusing the aircraft itself with the folks who occupy and operate it. The aircraft-operating types are sometimes prone to that sort of confusion (as is Evan) but parlour talkers like you and me are supposed to know better! :lol:

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:50 pm

I think you are confusing the aircraft itself with the folks who occupy and operate it. The aircraft-operating types are sometimes prone to that sort of confusion (as is Evan) but parlour talkers like you and me are supposed to know better! :lol:
I am indeed confused.

Are you implying that there are people who operate the aircraft, as opposed to it being done by a totally computerized system?

I think I'll have to put all airplanes and airlines on my no-fly lists...people can be such idiots!

elaw

Postby elaw » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:59 pm

I am indeed confused.

Are you implying that there are people who operate the aircraft, as opposed to it being done by a totally computerized system?
As I understand it there are two competing philosophies:

1) The Boeing philosophy which is to design and build planes that are outdated and therefore unsafe as well as being too costly to operate. This is mainly a result of them (the airplanes) not having enough electronic components.

2) The Airbus philosophy which is to design planes with computers that most of the time fly the airplane, but every now and then transfer control to the pilots in such a way as to demonstrate that they are incompetent. This apparently is safer and more economical.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:18 pm

I am indeed confused.

As I understand it there are two competing philosophies:

1) The Boeing philosophy which is to design and build planes that are outdated and therefore unsafe as well as being too costly to operate. This is mainly a result of them (the airplanes) not having enough electronic components.

2) The Airbus philosophy which is to design planes with computers that most of the time fly the airplane, but every now and then transfer control to the pilots in such a way as to demonstrate that they are incompetent. This apparently is safer and more economical.
These statements seem to be accurate.

And in a rare moment of seriousness- I was just watching an aviation documentary and it covered that Lufthansa airbus that scraped a wing tip in a blistering crosswind. (Non PC jokes were made regarding it being a low-time female at the controls). This 'final report' implied that the PF made very correct control inputs, but Evan* was programmed to cut the roll authority in half when a wheel touched down...

...and you look at the film...a wheel touches the pavement, some sort of gust comes from the left, and the wing picks up...and (from my arm chari and computer keyboard) I say, MOVE THE STICK TO THE LEFT DUMMY!!!!!!. Then it all reverses and goes to the left...and the whole time, the poor gal in the cockpit says, "What's it doing now? I have full control inputs on the stick, but it isn't rolling back...my basic 172 training never cut my aileron authority in half?"
Last edited by 3WE on Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

elaw

Postby elaw » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:23 pm

I was just watching an aviation and it covered that Lufthansa airbus that scraped a wing tip in a blistering crosswind. (Non PC jokes were made regarding it being a low-time female at the controls). This 'final report' implied that the PF made very correct control inputs, but Evan* was programmed to cut the roll authority in half when a wheel touched down...
...no doubt in order to prevent the wingtips (or engine nacelles) from contacting the ground.

That's some top-quality irony right there!

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:43 pm

...Evan*...
I forgot to footnote, that after the 737 Max thread, I felt it was time to name the Airbus FBW computers "Evan", as I don't think HAL cuts it any more.

HAL developed some sort of software or hardware error.

Evan sits there, RELENTLESSLY fighting (Evan the person fighting every other poster on the aviation forum and Evan the FBW computer fighting good pilots at every tweak of the side stick).

We'll have to spend some time to see if there's a good acronym buried in EVAN

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:20 am

Yes - That's why they crash.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”