What were those aeroengineers thinking?!?!?

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

What were those aeroengineers thinking?!?!?

Postby 3WE » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:39 pm

If you re-open a cross feed valve, you over ride important fire systems? How non-intuitive! What were they thinking? I would have designed it differently!

A "Perf" option on the autopilot that has 100 feet of slop? That won't work! What were they thinking? I would have designed it differently!

A compass mounted behind the copilot and you use little mirrors to read it? CRAZY! What were they thinking? I would have designed it differently!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R0CViDUBFs

Yeah, I still don't get the single autopilot go-around deal on 737's either.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Re: What were those aeroengineers thinking?!?!?

Postby flyboy2548m » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:41 pm

If you re-open a cross feed valve, you over ride important fire systems? How non-intuitive! What were they thinking? I would have designed it differently!

A "Perf" option on the autopilot that has 100 feet of slop? That won't work! What were they thinking? I would have designed it differently!

A compass mounted behind the copilot and you use little mirrors to read it? CRAZY! What were they thinking? I would have designed it differently!

Indeed, just imagine the wonderful airplane Gabby-boy would have designed.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:34 pm

Indeed, just imagine the wonderful airplane Gabby-boy would have designed.
I imagine it would contain some trade offs.

3WE

Re: What were those not_aeroengineers thinking?!?!?

Postby 3WE » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:33 pm

I have recently learned that many modern hand guns are being designed without a traditional "trigger lock safety".

Long pull triggers (and operators using just a tad of common sense) are said to provide just as much safety to the operation).

I disagree with this design philosophy, and you don't have to search http://www.internet.com very long to find well-trained folks (like policeman) inadvertently firing their weapons.

(Yeah, sure, they were not following procedure, but hey, folks screw up).

What are those not_aeroengineers thinking?
Last edited by 3WE on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:34 pm

Missfire.

Monchavo needs to add a trigger safety on his submit button.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:19 am

why the hell would you even consider reopening the pneumatic cross feed when you've had an engine fire?

Back before RVSM maybe 100 ft was considered acceptable since it saved fuel burn and engine wear.

Compass location is stupid but who uses a whiskey compass in a jet with dual slaved HSIs?

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:24 pm

why the hell would you even consider reopening the pneumatic cross feed when you've had an engine fire?
Good question. On the Cheap Composite Crackerbox the Engine Fail QRH even specifically directs you to move the relevant switch to SHUT (it's normally in AUTO).
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Good question. On the Cheap Composite Crackerbox the Engine Fail QRH even specifically directs you to move the relevant switch to SHUT (it's normally in AUTO).
Maybe the guy in the video was just marveling over the fact that behind all those panels are little cables tying this thingy to that thingy...contrast that with stuff like, you know, dual EALCS failures. :mrgreen:

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”