Sully, the movie

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Sully, the movie

Postby 3WE » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:27 pm

A ~4-minute incident gets blown up into a ~90-minute Hollywood movie.

Maybe I'll just go hang out at an airport fence instead...maybe even take a camera.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: Sully, the movie

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:35 pm

A ~4-minute incident gets blown up into a ~90-minute Hollywood movie.
Well, they have to show us the family life of the protagonists, how they started another "normal day", etc. Then, the 4 minutes will last at least 45.

Of course, I say all this from my little experience with Hollywood movies, without having any actual knowledge of this particular film.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:58 pm

Im hoping this movie is able to reflect the Geese's perspective.
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Posting since Evanie just watched it and seems moderately obsessed with details.

I think I saw it 1 or two years ago, not immediately after release.

Definitely worth waiting for.

I found it to be a nice drama around the question- "Did I do what I was supposed to do". I doubt that the NTSB was "out to get" Sully (as inferred in the movie), but conversely, I'm sure they asked all the hard questions. I don't doubt Sully had rough days and nights second guessing himself. Especially with the determination that a return to the airport was possible.

The movie overplayed it a tiny bit that Sully KNEW he did the right thing. JMO.

There, I have recorded MY thoughts on the subject.

Now, let me admonish Evan (and Gabriel) to acknowledge that its JUST a movie, and maybe even above average on it's technical aspects, but it's not about green airspeed dots nor NTSB procedures nor how dual engine failures should be handled in the future...

However, it does involve aeroplanies and some near-total disaster aspects and theatrics and is based on a true story...What else can we ask for?

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:32 pm

My quotes from there from a while back.

(From B737300)
***They make the NTSB into the "bad buy" (all movies need a villain I guess) by aggressively going for pilot error, which of course we know was total bunk, but that's what creates the drama.***
(3BS)

AND, Tom Hanks and his copilot (although they have nightmares) are extremely confident they did everything perfect.

One should watch the movie- there are worse ones out there, but I sort of didn't like it.

As 737 calls it, that's pretty much the movie- The NTSB and whole world are out to burn Tom Hanks because simulations show he could have landed...very black and white. But he boldly fights back to pull it out of his rear that he is entitled to spend 30 seconds just flying the damn plane and calmly consulting the FCOM (per Evan's decrees) before ever considering a power-off landing...
https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthread ... ight=Sully

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”