Informe de vuelo con fotografías de jetes, Tres DeMayo, 2017

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Gabriel

Re: Informe de vuelo con fotografías de jetes, Tres DeMayo, 2017

Postby Gabriel » Wed May 10, 2017 7:54 am

Interesting...So, you're on an H-1B?
Nope. Since I was already working for this company in Argentina, the type that applies in this case is L-1 (internal transfer). In my case, L-1A to be more precise.
Inconceivable! And no, I don't need to look that word up. (You probably won't even get the reference).
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sat May 20, 2017 5:42 am

Flight report: I survived. Actually, it was a nice experience, compared to the legacy airlines. Yes, it is bare bones and minimalist, but it does work. Only one class, and actually a bit more of legroom than in the legacy coach, and with a combination of luck and early check in you might get the chance of getting the first row or the emergency exit row (I did in both flights) without paying extra in punishment for having a femur longer than the distance between the backs of the seats. The plane arrives at the gate, people gets off, other people get in, you seat wherever you want (choosing from wherever is available) and up we go. Very quick turnarounds, I was surprised. They give you free non-alcoholic drinks and a small bag of peanuts (or pretzels if you are allergic), which is basically the same than you get in the legacy airlines, plus, you get 2 free checked bags (although I didn't need this option this time) and a friendly crew. Departed and arrived not later than on-time (and even earlier). All for about the same price (sometimes a few dollars more, sometimes a few dollars less).

Not to mention that they were the only airline offering non-stop flights between ELP and AUS. But even if I had to fly to other destination that is served by SW and a legacy airline, I would seriously consider SW as my first choice over AA, United or Delta.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat May 20, 2017 12:25 pm

...a friendly crew...
I think that is a genuine tendency, and they certainly brag about a few things that they try to do differently...

...although there's always the strong/valid counter argument that they are not that much different from the legacies- and now it's rare that they are cheaper (although I guess you can still say they keep downward pressure on the legacies).

On my last ride (above)- we were significantly delayed- It was ALL weather and the ATC traffic jams- but I still like to see ACKNOWLEDGEMENT from the crew, and there was none.

I also saw them pull people off when it became clear they would miss 'the last connection of the day'...and no, you will not be seeing your free-checked-suitcases...hopefully you will realign with them sometime tomorrow.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sat May 20, 2017 3:53 pm

Yes, I agree. There is nothing super special or outstanding with SW. Just a plain, bare, minimallist airline service. I just feel that they do a tad better than the legacy which is not a high bar by any account. In this case they were about $5 cheaper, but the most important factor why I chose them (having never flown with them before) was the non-stop flight that removed several hours to get from A to B and back. Acknowledged, this factor would not exist for most other destinations, but I still think they have a little + that would make me choose them.

Oh, and they offer free wifi TV (internet access is for pay)

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat May 20, 2017 5:18 pm

I too like WN. However, I fly them somewhat less than a few years ago as fares are somewhat more expensive (cue the ole 'we ask for what we get' comments).

Currently they are the main carrier at Flyover International Airport- and have added 4 or 6 gates and are expanding down into some old Ozark / TWA gates that were recently closed- as well as having occasional gate congestion and luggage carousel congestion.

Some of us at Flyover (probably includes the AWOL Alex Trude TWA 777 Lover) fantasize that WN will see our three great Parallel runways and empty gates and see Midway and Dallas's fewer runways and snow and thunderstorm and airspace congestion issues AND the central geographic location and will turn Flyover into the grand-TWA-like hub that it 'used to be' / 'should be'.

In the realm of interesting details that no one gives a crap about- Southwest's 'mini-stand-alone' terminal is the more modern terminal with some good all around design features and possibly some 'fancy-South-west-specified' baggage facilities...Some of us would like them to ditch the East terminal and repopulate the grossly underutilized main terminal and gates...and allow direct walking access between Southwest and Cape Air and Weber (and perhaps another true regional prop deal)...

BUT this might require them taking over / updating some old crap SOME OF WHICH MIGHT HAVE LEFTOVER 1950 scientific engineering...

Although, I recall TWA having a 'quick-baggage-delivery' advertisement...and a period of time when you suitcase WAS ALREADY AT THE CAROSEL when you got there (and that was when flyover was bustling and constantly doing simultaneous takeoffs and landings- which choked down whenever any IMC occurred.

/3BS post that no one cares about.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”