TOTAL COMPUTER SYSTEM DISASTERS!!!!

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

TOTAL COMPUTER SYSTEM DISASTERS!!!!

Postby 3WE » Sun May 28, 2017 1:08 pm

The latest: Mass BA groundings as "The" computer system crashes.

While sharing none of Evan's safety concerns and desire for Trump top save us...it does seem that these things are becoming more common and I would think expensive enough that the airlines would be doing a bit more in the prevention/backup department.

Of course, I sure efforts are indeed underway, but still, it's remarkable to see yet another mass cancellation.

I guess in a woven way, this can be tied back to computerized aircraft controls...if the extremely business-critical computer reservation system can have a total disaster what keeps the extremely-airplane-controlling-computer system from having total disasters?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

ocelot

Re: TOTAL COMPUTER SYSTEM DISASTERS!!!!

Postby ocelot » Sun May 28, 2017 11:04 pm

if the extremely business-critical computer reservation system can have a total disaster what keeps the extremely-airplane-controlling-computer system from having total disasters?
Nothing at all :mrgreen:

There's been talk about power issues, but nothing specific enough to draw any conclusions from... other than that either everything must have been in one data center whose building-level power blew up, or that they thought they had redundant installations that weren't actually very redundant. I am guessing the first.

What's interesting to me is how helpless the entire organization apparently has been with its computers down. Wonder if the staff ought to be holding computer failure drills...

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”