I hate Vector for Food! (Flight report)

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

I hate Vector for Food! (Flight report)

Postby 3WE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:30 am

3/6/2010 AA 856 from RDU to CLT.

Pissy 30 min flight in rainshowers and hostie seating turbulence...no OJ.

Do we fly a right base? Hell no! Go way North,then slow down, Then South and past the airport to the East downwind...then 20 miles South...

Then, around the marker (wheels down), we get too close to someone and 3BS survives his third airliner go around (in a damn A-321 no less).

All that friggen vectoring and slowing and zig says AND extended final and we STILL run over the guy ahead!

It was kind of aggressive from the comfort standpoint- including a SEEMINGLY relentless pull up.

Do we get right back...NO! Another LONG painful downwind and final.

Frantic walk to next flight...made it with less than 10 min to spare!
AA 856.PNG
AA 856.PNG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 3108 times
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Re: I hate Vector for Food! (Flight report)

Postby Gabriel » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:10 am

Pretend that I clicked the "delete post" button, if there was one.
Last edited by Gabriel on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:11 am

It was kind of aggressive from the comfort standpoint- including a SEEMINGLY relentless pull up.
You can't relentlessly pull up in an A320*. HAL will happily fly into trees rather than allowing you to pull up too much.

*as long as it is not suffering a UAS event or other condition that makes HAL revert to alternate law.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:47 am

You can't relentlessly pull up in an A320*. HAL will happily fly into trees rather than allowing you to pull up too much.

*as long as it is not suffering a UAS event or other condition that makes HAL revert to alternate law.
Yeah...we were in and out of clouds and rain for most of the trip, and those scientifically engineered pitot tubes have been known to ice up! :shock:

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:47 pm

Of moderate ironing, today at a manure application meeting in Dayton with about 15 people, I discover someone else on the RDU-CLT go around.

I also forgot to stress that we were in hard hard IMC at the time of the go-around (could barely see the wingtip, AND A-321 engines are located in a spot known to tend to cause pitch ups. :shock:

Of further aviation interest was that this meeting actually was about testing agricultural spray nozzles in aireoengineering wind tunnels at the University of Dayton.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:28 pm

2010? :mrgreen:
(I had written a lenghty, comprehensive, extremely intelligent and humorous reply concerning flight radar captures after such a long time, reminding that antique 737s are the ones to crash in every single go-around and that Airbuses get UAS in 99% of the flights, and then brill-yuntly closed the tab... So use your imagination).
Of further conspiracy interest was that this meeting actually was about testing chemtrail spray nozzles over the unsuspecting people of Dayton.
Fixed.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 pm

2010?
In my excitement of the upcoming chemtrail seminar, I typed 2010 instead of 2018, AND dyklessskilly said we flew past the airport to the East downwind, when it is the west downwind...

A reminder that I should stick with operating manure spreaders instead of A-300s...even though I'm pretty sure I'd never pull up relentlessly.

Tomorrow I fly a Flyboyair Regional Jet 200 to ORD and then a DM-80 (Dummivator-80) to Flyover albeit the livery is wrong.

Hopefully, I will only have photos of orange juice on a seat-back tray to share, instead of near-total-disaster-go-arounds!

I also hope the DM-80 doesn't fly over Flyover, except as part of a landing pattern...

One other cool thing- on the way to Dayton, a thunderstorm was occurring probably 50 or more miles to the East...There was not much lightning, but when it did occur, it was cool.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:25 am

Did you survive downwind turns? :o
Hopefully, I will only have photos of orange juice on a seat-back tray to share, instead of near-total-disaster-go-arounds!
Kindly take vertical, short, shaky, blurry video footage of people screaming if a TotalAirDisaster is imminent. Thanks in advance.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:48 pm

Kindly take vertical, short, shaky, blurry video footage of people screaming if a TotalAirDisaster is imminent. Thanks in advance.
How shall I film things if a passenger gets zip tied? Should I offer to assist the crew, since I have a PPL?

BY THE WAY...We had a 2" snow in Dayton and our plane sat overnight- thus we deiced. A passenger (Not_3BS) asked the FA if we would be deicing, and the pilot made a comment on the PA that "for those of you who have asked, yes, we will be deicing.

By the way- I HATE the CRJ type specific checklist...not sure what the wording IS, but "Flaps set and Indicated" is not_part of the pretaxi checklist!!!!

I have noted this before and did not charge the cockpit...especially since the flaps went out with 2000 ft of taxiway to spare...I did mentally rehearse some speeches for the moments before I was tackled and zip tied...IF the flaps didn't go out.

Oh...due to the 1 hour deicing procedure (they ran out of fluid)...I missed my DM-80 ride and am instead of a Jungle Airbus-170. At least the thing has yokes (albeit strangely shaped ones).

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:40 pm

How shall I film things if a passenger gets zip tied? Should I offer to assist the crew, since I have a PPL?
DO NOT start filming when the incident begins, wait until the crew gets physical with the passenger, so it looks like they're being unnecessarily violent no matter if they were or not.
BY THE WAY...We had a 2" snow in Dayton and our plane sat overnight- thus we deiced. A passenger (Not_3BS) asked the FA if we would be deicing, and the pilot made a comment on the PA that "for those of you who have asked, yes, we will be deicing.
(...)
I have noted this before and did not charge the cockpit...especially since the flaps went out with 2000 ft of taxiway to spare...I did mentally rehearse some speeches for the moments before I was tackled and zip tied...IF the flaps didn't go out.
It would have been nice of Flyboy to also say "for those of you who are storming the cockpit or desperately bashing the hostie-call buttons, yes, we will be setting the flaps at some point".
(...)Jungle Airbus-170. At least the thing has yokes (albeit strangely shaped ones).
Do they look like bananas, as to grab monkey pilots' attention and keep them away from CBs? (I fear that could lead to relentless pull-ups...)

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 pm

On the ORD to Flyover leg, things were interesting...

There was a rather gripy FA and a rather gripy passenger.

In the final minute before push back, the dude pulls down his roll-aboard bag and rustles through it...

The FA also used a slightly nasty voice stating that my seat wasn't upright (It was).

Then there were haggles over the drink service and haggles over trash pick up- I THINK the guy didn't offer his cup until she was 3 rows past him.

Later, I saw him studying the COC on a ticket jacket...

I believe that the Contract of Carriage entitles him to have a copy of the Contract of Carriage. Not sure what else, maybe he is entitled to pass TSA and sit in a gate area too?

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”