Flight Report 11/2018

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Flight Report 11/2018

Postby 3WE » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Alex Trudeeee's airline of LUV and perfection...

Funny-but-typical evening: RDU ==> Flyover

Gate Agents line us up...Gate agent says, time out, the pilot said "A light came on at landing and they need to look at it with maintenance".

Later it was determined that a new part was needed from Baltimore with an unknown time needed to actually fix "the light" (1 hour transit + install time and the comment,) "Those of you with connections are screwed and those JUST just going to flyover, HOPEFULLY we get you there tonight".

We try to go get a beer- but no sooner than it's ordered there's a gate change announcement and a delay of minutes, not hours.

I ASS ume the dispatch system ran a computer analysis and figured out they would screw over LESS people by stealing a plane TO BWI and giving it to us...(Still folks in Des Moines were not getting home within the day).

After a one hour delay- we are on a 737-NOT next gen (thank goodness it wasn't going to nose over relentlessly).

The pilot says, "Good thing we got a new plane, the LAST time, we had to fix THAT light it took four hours!"

Seems like there were blistering west winds...Smartphone-estimated ground speeds of 340 to 375 kts enroute. Some altitude hunting to avoid some choppiness.

I got a kick out of all of the use of "a light problem"...Obviously it's MORE than just a warning light, and I found it curious they wouldn't really say WHAT it was warning (AOA indication???) The language really refused to say ANYTHING.

What "light" can come on at landing, and require a significant replacement part, hours of installation and is serious enough that you can't say what it is?

The way TO RDU was a really new 787 (Max I assume). I did not note tendencies for nose over. I meant to make a point to check out the Lav and see if there was unintended hydraulic flow reversal from the sinks and if I could disrupt the drink service by the CAD-designed door swing. BUT, alas, I did not.

The other bad part from this trip- I LOOKED for broken and in-tact purple aeroplanies, but saw none.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

flyboy2548m

Re: Flight Report 11/2018

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:40 pm

What "light" can come on at landing, and require a significant replacement part, hours of installation and is serious enough that you can't say what it is?
The Fetzer valve indication is but one example.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

J

Postby J » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:09 pm

In this example, the light being on indicates the valve is operating normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vIZHulljuE

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:08 pm

After a one hour delay- we are on a 737-NOT next gen (thank goodness it wasn't going to nose over relentlessly).
But it can still experience rudder reversals, exploding fans, shimmy dampener failures, etc.
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:40 pm

The Fetzer valve indication is but one example.
Thank you. Slight disappointment I didn't know this, otherwise I could have asked if that was the issue when I informed the crew that I had a stale PPL license and could assist in the event of crew in capacitation, and would also assist by attempting to look for improper takeoff flap settings, and that I had Red Cross first aid training.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”