Yahoo Clickbait Aviation Spam

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

Yahoo Clickbait Aviation Spam

Postby 3WE » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:22 pm

If the linky stays good, it askes, "Do airplanes have quirks like cars?"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ask-captain- ... 03777.html

The answer (according to the article) is no.

I found the topic interesting because my strongly caffeinated opinion is that there are plenty of quirks in the 172 world. Everyone feels a bit different in the moments after liftoff...and the takeoff-trim-setting means nothing...and CFI's will even tell you to cheat one way or another on particular aircraft. Some engines run great...others...well...at least they run (and run for what has been my experience)

I would also bet there are quirks with some aircraft (DC-3, Maybe some smaller regional turboprops- (we had a crash due to one very sad quirk)...but maybe you lose the quirks when things start becoming modern and turbo-fan powered.

Discuss or not.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Re: Yahoo Clickbait Aviation Spam

Postby Gabriel » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Airplanes have quirks and pilots have quirks. Not only pilots can tell certain airplanes from others of the same model without looking at the N-number, but if planes where self-aware (or if someone looked at their QAR) they could also tell certain pilots from others of the same "batch".

These quirks should not however affect the performance to the point that it doesn't meet the certification values. Quirks can go from "this is the one with the chipped paint in the shape of a horse in the yoke" to "this is the one with more shimmy" to "this i the one that has a little bit of left bank tendency when extending the flaps" to "this is the one that consumes a tiny bit less of fuel".

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:31 am

Better yet, some 1970s JetPictures: https://www.sizzlepixs.com/2018/11/13/v ... n=airlines

elaw

Postby elaw » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Better yet, some 1970s JetPictures: https://www.sizzlepixs.com/2018/11/13/v ... n=airlines
Very cool!

#4 is interesting: it appears to be a widebody layout with overhead racks instead of bins with doors. I'm wondering what kind of aircraft that would be... a very early 747?
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:34 pm

***overhead racks***what kind of aircraft***
I am old.

I can remember those things on other models of aeroplanies (DC-9's and 727s). I believe the correct insider term was "hat rack" (no cool acronym unfortunately). Can't remember the year, but it was an interesting shift to "the overhead bin" for a carry-on...An important feature since the free suitcase service tended to lose bags.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:03 am

#4 is interesting: it appears to be a widebody layout with overhead racks instead of bins with doors. I'm wondering what kind of aircraft that would be... a very early 747?
A beautiful Bristol Britannia.
(Don't thank me, thank them Googles)
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:53 pm

Airplanes have quirks and pilots have quirks. Not only pilots can tell certain airplanes from others of the same model without looking at the N-number, but if planes where self-aware (or if someone looked at their QAR) they could also tell certain pilots from others of the same "batch".

These quirks should not however affect the performance to the point that it doesn't meet the certification values. Quirks can go from "this is the one with the chipped paint in the shape of a horse in the yoke" to "this is the one with more shimmy" to "this i the one that has a little bit of left bank tendency when extending the flaps" to "this is the one that consumes a tiny bit less of fuel".
Once again, Thank You, Gabriel. Whatever would WE have done without you?
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Total Drone Disaster

Postby 3WE » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:39 pm

...and Facebook click bait tomfoolery

[linky didn’t work, but a picture of a crash scene involving Santa’s sleigh]

Poor guy was probably pulling up relentlessly (without being stalled)

Note: The article did not offer conclusive evidence of a drone strike, a meteor encounter may still be plausible.

...and physical punishment to the drone operators if the highest degree.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: Total Drone Disaster

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Bad management of a reindeer-out situation? Is Santa well trained and raited for multi-reindeer aircraft? Should someone so old be allowed to fly?
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Re: Total Drone Disaster

Postby 3WE » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Bad management of a reindeer-out situation? Is Santa well trained and raited for multi-reindeer aircraft? Should someone so old be allowed to fly?
Quote = Santa:
We do not want your outsider opinion. You have no idea what it’s like to have a handful of reigns and 600,000 lbs of presents behind you as you aim for a steeply sloped roof that’s less than 100 feet long.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”