A380 troubles, the latest news...

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

reubee

Re: A380 troubles, the latest news...

Postby reubee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:27 am

Airbus A380 fails to take off due to technical problem
Xinhua 01/11/2010

SEOUL, Jan. 11 (Xinhua) -- A luxury airliner Airbus A380 was grounded at the Incheon International Airport Sunday due to a technical problem in its fuel tank, local media reported Monday.

The Dubai-bound plane scheduled to take off late Sunday was found to have a technical defect and the flight was canceled at the last minute, the first such case since the Dubai-based carrier Emirates launched South Korea's first A380 service last December, Seoul's Yonhap News Agency said.

Some 420 passengers protested the last-minute notice and stayed at nearby hotels, Yonhap said.

The Incheon International Airport Corporation did not confirm the report.
A little Cessna was #1 for landing behind the EK A380 at AKL on Sunday. It landed safely.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Any figures on the dispatch reliability of the A380 by now?

reubee

Postby reubee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:22 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmGd4qpsyk

short and hard, or a delay in the camera feed?

AndyToop

Postby AndyToop » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:03 pm

found this one on there to provide a comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KK1Al4WxoU

Looks like the original was short and hard.

reubee

Postby reubee » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:20 am

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:27 pm

I was like "flear, flear, fleaaaarrrrrr!!!" BANG!

Ed

Postby Ed » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:30 pm

Really? It wasn't that obvious to me from the tail cam (and I will assume you mean to say 'flare'). In fact, it is not obvious on the last video (reubee's) that it was a hard hit. I did hear a bunch of crunching, but I attribute that to the guy holding the camera). I am not saying it wasn't a 'hard landing', but it is just not so obvious to me. In fact, without the audio, it is a pretty boring video.

Ed

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:45 am

Yes, of course I meant "flare", sorry.
And I was talking about the 3rd video. I had already seen the 1st and 2nd ones a few times and it appeared to me that the 3rd one was even lower then the first one, even before reaching the "touch down before the treshold" part.

Robert Hilton

Postby Robert Hilton » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:12 pm

If you've taken to shouting at the monitor you should talk to this man.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vItQtTZTcAk

supersean

Postby supersean » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:18 pm

Will these troubles never stop?
Air France A380 New York-Paris Flight Canceled
By Gregory Viscusi

Dec. 15 (Bloomberg) -- An Air France A380 bound for Paris didn’t take off from New York last night because of a fuel-tank issue, the second hitch on the route since the airline began flying the world’s largest passenger jet less than a month ago.

The double-decker Airbus jumbo jet’s 511 passengers were put up in New York-area hotels after the airline discovered that fuel was not transferring properly between tanks, said Marina Tymen, an Air France spokeswoman. The airline will put the passengers on flights to Paris today, she said. The flight, AF007, was due to leave John F. Kennedy airport at 7:10 p.m.

Air France-KLM Group took delivery of its first A380 on Oct. 30 and the jet’s maiden flight from Paris to New York was on Nov. 20. On Nov. 27, an Air France A380 was forced to return to New York about 90 minutes into its flight because of an unspecified technical issue. After it returned to the U.S., it was cleared for takeoff within two hours and flew to Paris without further incident with all 402 passengers aboard.

That was second time an A380 had to turn back since the model began operations in October 2007. A flight by Singapore Airlines Ltd., the first airline to use the A380, had to return to Paris 2 1/2 hours after taking off for Asia on Sept. 27 after one of its four engines failed. The plane carried a crew of 27 and 444 passengers on board.

Airbus, a unit of European Aeronautic, Defence & Space Co., won’t comment on yesterday’s incident because the plane is operated by Air France, Anne Galabert, an Airbus spokeswoman, said in a telephone interview.
Just imagine how big of a thread we'd have if we tracked 737 canceled flights. I had 2 yesterday alone!
proudly serving WTF comments since 2003

reubee

Postby reubee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:50 pm

A Qantas Airbus A380-800, registration VH-OQC performing flight QF-32 from Singapore (Singapore) to Sydney,NS (Australia), had touched down on runway 16R when the airplane blew a number of tyres during the roll out. The airplane stopped on the runway, the crew requested fire engines to attend the aircraft. Tower reported he had seen some fire from the brakes during the roll out, the fire had stopped however when the airplane came to a halt. No fire or smoke was visible. Another aircraft lining up behind the Qantas reported seeing sparks from the gear and a lot of rubber on the runway. Emergency services reported, that all tyres on the left hand main gear had deflated and the airplane is sitting on the rims.
http://avherald.com/h?article=42971d6a&opt=0

i wonder if someone will post the tail camera for this one. Co-incidentally the same runway as the two videos I linked to earlier.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:26 pm

2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

J

A380 troubles, the latest news...

Postby J » Fri May 14, 2010 6:18 pm

EADS Says A380 Hurts Profit Now, Dollar to Help Later
May 14 European Aeronautic, Defence & Space Co., parent of planemaker Airbus SAS, said a stronger dollar may make the A380 superjumbo profitable in the longer term, even though the plane will weigh “substantially” on 2010 earnings.
EADS is bracing for a potential 1 billion euros in additional foreign-exchange costs this year because of less favorable hedges based on rates locked in before the recent rebound in the dollar. The stronger dollar will begin to benefit the company in 2012 . . .
Source: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-0 ... ate1-.html

Hazmat

Postby Hazmat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Looks like Malaysian is looking for a way out.
Never really knew how they where going to fill the thing anyway.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-2 ... rline.html
Malaysian has ordered six A380s, and initial deliveries are more than four years late, Chief Executive Officer Tengku Azmil Zahruddin told reporters today in Kelana Jaya, outside Kuala Lumpur. The airline “cannot tolerate” any additional holdup for its A380s, which have a list price of about $327 million each. Malaysian was granted discounts for being an early client.

“We will not rule anything out at this stage,” Zahruddin said. “We are not happy.”

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Hot off the Boeing presses.
Boeing Calls WTO Ruling a Landmark Decision and Sweeping Legal Victory

- Launch aid for every Airbus program deemed illegal and damaging- 'Prohibited' A380 launch aid must be withdrawn 'without delay'
- Legal principle set: airplane programs must be funded on commercial terms
- Government funding of Airbus infrastructure and R&D programs also ruled illegal
- More information, including excerpts from the decision, is available at http://www.boeing.com/wto

CHICAGO, June 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA) today praised the World Trade Organization's final ruling that billions of dollars in European launch aid subsidies used by Airbus to develop its commercial airplanes are illegal and must end. The decision, which the WTO made public earlier today, also declares that a broad array of government funding for Airbus research and infrastructure development violated international trade agreements.

"This is a landmark decision and sweeping legal victory over the launch aid subsidies that fueled the rise of Airbus and that continue to provide its products a major cost advantage," said Boeing Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Jim McNerney. "The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative deserves tremendous credit for today's decision. We now join the U.S. government in urging full compliance with the ruling and a permanent restoration of fair competition within our industry," McNerney said.

Boeing Executive Vice President and General Counsel J. Michael Luttig explained the details and implications of the ruling. "Each and every instance of launch aid that the U.S. challenged was held to be illegal," said Luttig. "The panel said that without the illegal subsidies it received, Airbus would not have the aerospace market share it now enjoys. This ruling will alter the competitive landscape in the aerospace industry forever, forcing Airbus to compete in the marketplace on the same terms as Boeing."

Luttig noted that European-provided launch aid for the A380 was found to include prohibited export-contingent subsidies, which WTO rules require be withdrawn "without delay."

"Under today's decision, Airbus must repay the $4 billion in illegal launch aid it received for the A380 or restructure the A380's financing to proven commercial terms. Likewise, Airbus must abandon its plans to finance the A350 through the use of illegal subsidies," he said.

Luttig added that "the WTO rejected all excuses for continuing launch aid, the most pernicious form of subsidy Airbus receives, as well as all other forms of subsidies Airbus and parent EADS use for unfair advantage in the commercial airplane market and in defense markets for military-derivative aircraft. Airbus must now compete on its own, without the assistance of European taxpayers – assistance the U.S. estimates has exceeded $200 billion in value to Airbus."

Airbus has used government-provided launch aid to fund the development of all its commercial airplanes since the entity was formed in 1970. It now commands more than half the commercial airplane market. Launch aid typically comes in the form of no- or low-interest loans with repayment terms so generous that no repayment need occur during the several years it takes to develop a commercial airplane, and not at all in the event a program fails. Launch aid is a unique benefit to Airbus, as the U.S. government does not fund development of commercial products.

"The World Trade Organization has now unequivocally declared that government subsidies to Airbus violate WTO rules, are market-distorting, and have caused significant harm to America's aerospace industry and its workers," Luttig said. "Compliance with the WTO's ruling is essential to establishing a fair and level playing field between Boeing and Airbus. It also is essential to preserving the integrity of the WTO process and, by extension, the integrity of the rules-based trading system that has been a key driver of global economic growth."

Luttig said the WTO's ruling not only makes clear that there can be no new government-subsidized financing for Airbus' future A350 model, but also clarifies rules for other new market participants. "The ruling establishes an overarching principle governing all those entering aerospace markets: Anyone that wants to use government funding arrangements to develop new, competing products must demonstrate that monies are provided on proven commercial terms," he said.

The WTO is an independent, unbiased arbiter of global trade disputes.
Today's ruling results from the U.S. government's 2004 decision to file a case with the WTO to end European subsidies to Airbus. While the WTO process allows the European Communities to appeal the ruling, Boeing expects the appeals process to conclude before the end of 2010.

"A successful conclusion to this longstanding dispute is now in sight. Within a year, the U.S. government will have authority to act decisively to ensure compliance if Airbus has not entirely restructured the A380 program so that it is financed and funded on objectively verifiable commercial terms," Luttig said.

"America thrives on competition," said McNerney. "American workers have shown repeatedly they can compete successfully in the global market. But they understandably insist that competition occur on a level playing field, with competitors playing by the agreed-upon rules."

The trade case against launch aid subsidies has enjoyed strong bi-partisan support from the U.S. Congress and multiple presidential administrations.

Editor's note: More information, including excerpts from the decision, is available at http://www.boeing.com/wto
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Pot, kettle, etc. Puke-inducing coming from Boeing.
Per

Giles

Postby Giles » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:07 pm

"Under today's decision, Airbus must repay the $4 billion in illegal launch aid it received for the A380 or restructure the A380's financing to proven commercial terms. Likewise, Airbus must abandon its plans to finance the A350 through the use of illegal subsidies," he said.
or what?

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:13 pm

or what?
Or the WTO will stomp its little footsie.
Pot, kettle, etc. Puke-inducing coming from Boeing.
Why?

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:29 pm

Why?
I will leave the explanation to David Hilditch, he has done it more than once already.
Per

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:35 pm

DHWNPITT.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:42 pm

DHWNPITT.
Sorry, that acronym does not exist on the Internet, please try again.
Per

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:31 pm

David Hilditch Will Not Post In This Thread.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:43 pm

David Hilditch Will Not Post In This Thread.
Thank you, I will consider subsidizing him to do.
Per

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:58 pm

I am led to understand that Hilditch accepts Lunch Aid.

Here's how Lunch Aid works. You invite someone to lunch and offer to pay for their food, with the following stipulations. They have to pay you back only if they finish the entire meal. If they can not finish the meal, or if it does not live up to expectations in some way, then they don't have to pay you back. You have to pay the cost of their lunch. See that? Simple.

Giles

Postby Giles » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:54 am

Or what?

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”