Radio frequencies

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

KPryor

Radio frequencies

Postby KPryor » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:51 pm

I've been getting back into aviation and ATC listening as of late after a bit of a hiatus. Anyway, I got my old scanner out and have it hooked up to an external antenna. I'm having to look up most of the frequencies I already had programmed in since I didn't have a list. I was receiving a fair amount of traffic on one frequency but online searches never revealed what airport this approach/departure frequency this was for. I finally understood a controller well enough to know who it is (Evansville, IN approach/departure on 125.6). I just thought it was odd that I can't find any charts or other documentation showing this frequency is used by them. Is it common to have frequencies that don't show up on searches? Thanks for any info!
I went to prison for murder, but I stayed for the chili!

elaw

Re: Radio frequencies

Postby elaw » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:23 pm

If you go to http://www.airnav.com/airports/, you can search for your local airport, and on the page for the airport it shows the radio frequencies.

Of course there's also https://www.liveatc.net/

Edit: I think airnav.com only lists US airports. LiveATC is seemingly worldwide but when I tried searching on "London" it said something about how it was illegal in that country to broadcast ATC transmissions.
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

KPryor

Postby KPryor » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:27 pm

Those were two of the places I checked without success. I even downloaded charts direct from the FAA to see if this frequency was listed on any of them but it wasn't. No big deal, just thought it was odd.

elaw

Postby elaw » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:56 pm

I think what sometimes happen is that an airport might have multiple frequencies for something, but only one is published. For example there may be one published frequency to contact XXX approach, but approach might actually have 4 frequencies they use, and at some point you could get switched to another one. But they just publish the one frequency since that's the one pilots are supposed to use when making initial contact.
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

KPryor

Postby KPryor » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:07 pm

That sounds pretty reasonable. Probably what's going on here. Funny, I don't know how I wound up with that frequency in the scanner in the first place LOL Been a long time since I used it and I'm having to go through and figure out what's in it and what I want to add/subtract.

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”