Stabilized approaches

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

elaw

Stabilized approaches

Postby elaw » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:24 pm

This approach (starting at about 4:26) probably doesn't meet most people's definition of "stabilized" but it sure looks like fun! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fm6Tp3Akuk

(My favorite airline landing at my friendly local airport)
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

3WE

Re: Stabilized approaches

Postby 3WE » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:07 pm

"stabilized"
Using Evan, black and white thinking, it seems as though, they were not aligned with the runway at the 500 ft AGL mark.

Using cowboy definitions, it appears to be a stable descending turn to line up very nicely with the centerline and a smooth touchdown.

I have a fuzzy memory of posting this same youtube here or there a year or two ago.

Now, FWIW, I am tempted to admonish the captain for too-rapid of a power application on the takeoff...Using my ass-hat judgement, he should have advanced the throttles about half as fast. Not too slow...not too fast...but he hit it kind of hard and we must baby those piston engine thingies because if you run the actual risk numbers, going 2:20 minutes with one JET engine out, it's much safer.

During a few lessons, I recall a similar admonishment if I powered up quickly (obviously wasting runway is bad, so you don't "take forever" either)...I would say "count to five"?- steadily pushing the throttle...use brakes if field length is a concern.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

elaw

Postby elaw » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:01 am

Interesting... my instructor expressed no such concerns. It's not like I took out a hammer and slammed the throttle to get going, but I'd estimate I took about 1 second to from idle to full nothing-like-military power.

I do remember a video of a short-turn-to-final-on-a-different-runway-and-not-at-Kai-Tak being posted a while back but I don't remember it being at BOS? Then again most days I can hardly remember my own name...

3WE

Engine worship

Postby 3WE » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:27 pm

:D

There are people I call "engine worshipers"

They never go past 3001 miles between oil changes- or have severe sleep disorder if they do.

They idle their engines for 10 minutes to warm them up before making them do any work.

They gently apply and release the throttle.

They have sound theories.

Conversely, they may be excessive. No doubt modern oils and systems support longer change intervals. It was also pointed out that idling for 10 min with cold metal is just as abusive- stuff condenses, bearings are cold and tight...so where's the middle ground- I'm sure a little warm up is good before you go full throttle.

Is it maybe a good idea to "worship" an airplane engine (especially if there's only one)? Maybe so.

How fast should you advance the power- Hell, I don't' really know. "My count to" 5 (probably 3-4 seconds cause it's not one-thousand one...one thousand two) has this minimal basis:"

1. Going to full power in 1 or two seconds is something likely to result in some knocking on some car engines (with cheap gas).
2. Once on a "chartered" sight seeing flight (172 with the family), from Hilo Hawaii (8000 feet? runway), the pilot had me slowly accelerate 1000 feet down the runway before going to full power.

He said the engine was newly overhauled (it idled pretty average). I don't know if he wanted to baby the new tight components, or have extra time to listen for anomalies, or if he just didn't trust me to address the "torque", but it was an unusual experience.

:D

elaw

Postby elaw » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:28 pm

Flying a 172 in Hawaii??? Damn, you just bent the needle on my jealous-o-meter. :lol:

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Flying a 172 in Hawaii??? Damn, you just bent the needle on my jealous-o-meter. :lol:
It was about 10 years ago when Pu u o o (sp?) was flowing steadily, and the brochure showed 8 to 12 folks staring happily out of a turbo C-206.

Called in, made a reservation.

Arrived at the airport with Mrs. 3WE and young Ms. 3WE, the tour guide, "You are it"...here is our 172. "You wouldn't let me take the left seat would you?" "Sure".

It was very cool from the wanna-be standpoint AND a nice tour. We took off (as described) went a few miles to the East (I think) and looked for whales...I was a good PIC and spotted a whale and layed the plane over into a skidding bank...(Instructor- "Oh, trying to give them a view?"..."yes".

He then told me to do a gradual climb to 1100 feet and level off and a heading towards the lava flow. When we arrived at the lava flow, he took over and we looked at some subtle red lava and steam. After a few (horizontal) loops (and radio calls to helicopters) we turned back and he gave me the controls. The tower instructed to land on a shorter intersecting runway and to slow down (I did) as a Dash-8 was on final for the "big" runway. Squared the turn to final and spotted the Dash-8...Instructor and I both say, "this doesn't look very good"....about 1/4 mile out, I say, "I'm doing a 360"....with excellent CRM, the instructor calls the tower. (What a deal, me- a lowly, NON CURRENT PPL DISREGARDS EXECUTES PIC DUTIES AND DEVIATES FROM ATC INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PURPOSE OF SAFETY!!!). A good dose of power to maintain altitude and speed (did I ever say I fear stalling a little bit?). We circle, the dash 8 lands as I return to final and I make and acceptably smooth landing...

The instructor does wake me up- "Go ahead and use some brakes and make the next turn off BEFORE the intersection, so the Tower can clear the next airliner to land on the crossing runway."

Footnote: (a LAHSO) was probably well within my abilities, but maybe it was not approved, or whatever...who knows.

Yes, it was fun.

elaw

Postby elaw » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:10 pm

Okay, it seems there's a chance I could experience something even cooler sometime in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DHhiwvatQ

Item just added to bucket list: fly on an electric airliner!

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Re: Engine worship

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Is it maybe a good idea to "worship" an airplane engine (especially if there's only one)? Maybe so.
No, it isn't.
The instructor does wake me up...
So you were dreaming the dream instead of living it...
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:44 pm

Mispost
Last edited by 3WE on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:50 pm

So you were dreaming the dream instead of living it...
Yes, and on an RTO in a 172, ALL of the hydraulic pressure, goes straight to the brakes!

I was very geeky and THINK I have an actual logbook signature...or maybe I just dreamed that too.

:lol:

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Okay, it seems there's a chance I could experience something even cooler sometime in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DHhiwvatQ

Cheap composite FBW crackerbox with lithium batteries...

What could go wrong?

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:21 pm

What could go wrong?
And a t-tail and 3 engines 2 of them in the wingtip with the prop skimming bare inches off the ground but don't worry, we are going to use differential thrust to deal with crosswind landings and avoid digging a blade into the concrete.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:43 pm

What could go wrong?
And a t-tail and 3 engines 2 of them in the wingtip with the prop skimming bare inches off the ground but don't worry, we are going to use differential thrust to deal with crosswind landings and avoid digging a blade into the concrete.
I'm sure, this is part of a wholly knew FBW logic system including specific bank protections that will be vetted very thoroughly (much like MCAS was vetted).

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:45 am

(My favorite airline landing at my friendly local airport)
Sadly, your favorite airline no longer serves its namesake airport, Cape Girardeau, MO.

Now it’s a “United” ERJ to ORD :cry:

Passenger beatings, Flyover being flown over, and no opportunity to advise the pilots from 1B, 2A, or 2B.

elaw

Postby elaw » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Now now... visionaries don't let silly little things like the laws of physics get in the way of progress!

elaw

Postby elaw » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Sadly, your favorite airline no longer serves its namesake airport, Cape Girardeau, MO.
Say what? They're based at HYA and still fly from/to there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Air

And they partner with JetBlue and American, arguably two of the world's 1000 best airlines. ;)

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:57 pm

Say what? They're based at HYA and still fly from/to there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Air

And they partner with JetBlue and American, arguably two of the world's 1000 best airlines. ;)
I saw a lot of Cape Air piston twins at BOS yesterday and last Wednesday.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:54 pm

I saw a lot of Cape Air piston twins at BOS yesterday and last Wednesday.
Noted.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:07 am

don't worry, we are going to use differential thrust to deal with crosswind landings and avoid digging a blade into the concrete.
So... how does differential thrust keep you from drifting sideways?

(also with all the boasting in the video about magic flight control stuff, I worry what happens on reversion to direct law)

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”