Wow!

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

elaw

Wow!

Postby elaw » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:27 pm

This isn't your grandfather's light plane (autopilot): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ruFmgTpqA
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Gabriel

Re: Wow!

Postby Gabriel » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:21 am

This isn't your grandfather's light plane (autopilot): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ruFmgTpqA
It's not even your older brother's autopilot.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:23 pm

Answer 1. Concur. It is amazing to view.

Answer 2. Disconcur. So what?...It's just an overdue application of modern computing power, and I'm shocked that you don't just enable it from your I-phone via Bluetooth. /Sarcasm + a modicum of truth.

Snarky comment 1: No mention of TOPMS?

Snarky comment 2: What if a bird whacks the AOA vane, will it nose over relentlessly, (and you better be familiar with and ready to use the trim cutout switch)?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

elaw

Postby elaw » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:31 pm

Snarky comment 2: What if a bird whacks the AOA vane, will it nose over relentlessly, (and you better be familiar with and ready to use the trim cutout switch)?
Yes... but you'll have some really cool computer graphics to watch as you plummet toward your death! :lol:

One thing I find hilarious and sad at the same time is the number of commenters on the video who seem to think the system is a POS because the plane landed more than 0.001" off the runway centerline. They don't seem to understand that the likely alternative is that the plane ends up at the bottom of a smoking hole even farther from the runway centerline.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:21 pm

Quote = eric: One thing I find hilarious and sad at the same time is the number of commenters on the video who seem to think the system is a POS because the plane landed more than 0.001" off the runway centerline.
Oh, it was a bit more than 0.001" off, I noticed and at least THOUGHT POS, but conversely was not overly inspired to scoff at it.

In the farming areana we are using GPS/RTK to "plow our fields" with "sub-inch" accuracy.

That being said, somewhat direct rubber-to-dirt contact and break-neck 6 MPH speeds is probably a little simpler to nail alignment than something going 100 kts through a constantly changing and fluid mass of air where the intracacies of bank and rudder inputs come in to play.

I guess if I wanted to criticize it- I felt that the "land the damn plane" button was way too small and gaurded (per Evan's wishes). My mind runs to the sexist image of the terrified wife dealing with her husbands heart attack and no idea how to operate the airplane...it really needs to be the size of the Office Depot Easy Button. I mean if you accidentally bump it...so what.

One more thing (as I seek to avoid getting back to work)...I wonder what the maintenance aspects, need for testing and legal situation is. In spite of TeeVee's heart that focuses on pure right and wrong, with no interest in heavy punitive damages, some $ will change hands if it ever fouls up an emergency autoland.

elaw

Postby elaw » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:29 pm

Yeah and the sad thing is it surely *will* screw up eventually, and lawsuits will happen, and who knows what the outcome could be?

The two potential weak points to me are a) weather and b) traffic. If the thing lands on an icy runway and the plane slides off the end (6" to the right of the centerline) you could definitely argue it's still a better outcome than if the system were not present. But if it lands on top of a fully-loaded A380 that's just starting to accelerate for takeoff...

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:16 pm

...But if it lands on top of a fully-loaded A380 that's just starting to accelerate for takeoff...
No hay problema, remember, it talks to ATC! (and I ass ume Unicom).

Now to split hairs on the Unicom stuff...Hopefully it is programmed to properly argue with an egoistical medical doctor in a Bonanza or a Cirrus...No, extend your downwind, I am taking off now...or, hey a$$wipe, you cut me out of the pattern by flying directly in on final....

Still that nice calm voice....I'm sorry, someone pushed the emergency land buttion, my human pilot is probably dead and this poor (albeit sexy-sounding) autopilot is just trying to save the day, and unfortunately (as you see on the video), I probably won't clear the runway, but instead, stop in the middle of it....

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:46 pm

In the farming areana we are using GPS/RTK to "plow our fields" with "sub-inch" accuracy.

That being said, somewhat direct rubber-to-dirt contact and break-neck 6 MPH speeds is probably a little simpler to nail alignment than something going 100 kts through a constantly changing and fluid mass of air where the intracacies of bank and rudder inputs come in to play.
Rigid rubber-to-dirt contact helps for sure, but don't disregard the RTK part in GPS/RTK. That what brings the position determination accuracy from supra-feet to sub-inch. Then you have the guidance accuracy where the solid dirt vs fluid air plays a role. But no AP (in AG or AV) can position your vehicle with better accuracy than the accuracy with which the position is measured to begin with.

elaw

Postby elaw » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:19 pm

I probably won't clear the runway, but instead, stop in the middle of it....
At which point a fleet of Amazon drones equipped with grappling hooks show up, grab the airplane, and deliver it to its owner's house. Thus completing the "circle of automation". :mrgreen:

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:14 am

I probably won't clear the runway, but instead, stop in the middle of it....
At which point a fleet of Amazon drones equipped with grappling hooks show up, grab the airplane, and deliver it to its owner's house. Thus completing the "circle of automation". :mrgreen:
Creepy...

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:44 pm

Everyone relax, Evan is all over it.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:42 pm

But, we saw it here first!

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”