Question for Flyboy: thrust increase after take-off

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Gabriel

Question for Flyboy: thrust increase after take-off

Postby Gabriel » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Hi Flyboy, I have a question...

A couple of months a go did a "business tour" in which I took 7 flights in 4 days, all of them with Southwest, so all 737s (but I suspect the same would happen with the A320).

In ALL of these flights, a couple of minutes after take off the thrust was increased, at about the time the airplane configuration became clean.

Now, I think I understand how that happens: Runways are so much longer than needed for a 737 that they allow for such a reduced take-off thrust that it ends up being below the climb thrust. So when it is time to "reduce" the thrust from take-off thrust to climb thrust, that "reductions" ends up being an increase.

My question is... What is the point of reducing the take-of thrust to the point that it is below the climb thrust? Why not use the climb thrust as a lower bound for the reduced take-off thrust? Or, if there are real benefits in reducing the take-off thrust so much, why not to keep climbing with that reduced thrust (at least to some point, let's say 10K ft)?

flyboy2548m

Re: Question for Flyboy: thrust increase after take-off

Postby flyboy2548m » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Are you aware "we" have a separate section for specific questions for me?
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Gabriel

Re: Question for Flyboy: thrust increase after take-off

Postby Gabriel » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:59 pm

I apologize.

Moved the question there (not there there, there here)

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”