New runway SABE

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Gabriel

New runway SABE

Postby Gabriel » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:37 am

Aeroparque Jorge Newbery (Buenos Aires City downtown's airport) was closed the last several months for a major remodeling.

The most significant part was the tear down of the runway and the construction of a new one in the same plane but longer, wither, thicker, with new ILS, new PAPI on both sides, new approach lighting system, runway centerline lights and touchdown lights.

It looks really beautiful. And yet, something immediately made me almost jump when watching this otherwise beautiful video. I hope that that will be fixed before the re-inauguration tomorrow.

https://www.infobae.com/sociedad/2021/0 ... odelacion/

3WE

Re: New runway SABE

Postby 3WE » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:24 pm

I see the high speed turn off to nowhere.

It looks like they plan to take over some more land (and bury some roads).

I’m ass hat guessing the high speed currently ends in too sharp of a turn (and will require modifications to the “parallel” taxiway)?

There’s also that “pad to nowhere” on the left.

That is one hell of a displaced threshold, and pads.

It’s also ironing to have all of that state of the art concrete, but you have to back taxi for a full length departure.

And do you crazy South Americans believe in runway numbers?

Footnote: 3BS understands land locked airports. Flyover international has overly close and strangely laid out parallel runways, a serious taxiway choke point in front of the main terminal, lots of vertical obstacle issues, AND taxiways to be built later. https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2102/00360AD.PDF. I think it would be cool to re-instate runway 13-31, lengthen it, and add end-around taxiways...the choke point at the terminal is tougher.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:15 pm

I see the high speed turn off to nowhere.

It looks like they plan to take over some more land (and bury some roads).

I’m ass hat guessing the high speed currently ends in too sharp of a turn (and will require modifications to the “parallel” taxiway)?

There’s also that “pad to nowhere” on the left.

That is one hell of a displaced threshold, and pads.

It’s also ironing to have all of that state of the art concrete, but you have to back taxi for a full length departure.

And do you crazy South Americans believe in runway numbers?

Footnote: 3BS understands land locked airports. Flyover international has overly close and strangely laid out parallel runways, a serious taxiway choke point in front of the main terminal, lots of vertical obstacle issues, AND taxiways to be built later. https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2102/00360AD.PDF. I think it would be cool to re-instate runway 13-31, lengthen it, and add end-around taxiways...the choke point at the terminal is tougher.
What you are seeing is the North threshold (RWY 13). As I understand, all the concrete North of the threshold is not usable at this time (except perhaps as an emergency stopway for takeoffs from 31), not a displaced threshold, so there will be no back-taxiing. As you very well guessed, that part of the runway (and the high-speed exit to nowhere) where built in anticipation for the next stage of the plan which includes, among other things, gaining land on the river, displacing the pier of a nautical club and that avenue, and extending the taxiway to access the whole runway that would then yes include a displaced thresholds. This was already done in the South threshold (RWI 31).

But... 0:32~0:39

https://youtu.be/VDTxjbq_xP4?t=32

It is in Spanish, but if you want to look the whole plan for the airport in a very graphic PowerPoint-style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9xiEtjLhaU

Also I am unhappy that they didn't add EMAS on either side (and it is not in the plans either), given that it is an airport surrounded by avenues and that we already had a very deadly runway excursion on an aborted take-off that killed many on board and a few on the ground.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:00 pm

Can't wait to do some socially distant fenceperving!
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:40 pm

I do not_live in Texas, but I must scoff at your pissy little airport.

Flyover has parallel runways AND a crosswind runway....

Note the jaggdedy concrete where WE will someday have a second taxiway to 11-29.

However, I may did died before that happens.
B16ECCF3-4C1C-460D-B177-E24B9B3B6750.png
B16ECCF3-4C1C-460D-B177-E24B9B3B6750.png (3.59 MiB) Viewed 2723 times

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:35 am

The PAPI

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:23 am

The PAPI
Ok, it doesn’t look quite right...

The drone/whatever climbed so fast I didn’t notice...

It’s SORT OF correct- All red = too low and all white = too high.

Plus- doesn’t the autopilot just follow the glideslope anyway?

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:16 pm

0 for 2...

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”