KC-X Competition

Discuss all aspects of military aviation here!

Moderators: MikeD, Robert Hilton

Who will win the race?

B767-2/3/400 based KC-767
100%
A330-200 based KC-30
No votes
Somehow both.
No votes

Total votes: 3

Schorsch

KC-X Competition

Postby Schorsch » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:53 am

The decision what will be the new tanker for the USAF to replace the KC-135 will be announced soon (or not so soon). Rumors are that the decision might be postponed to mid of this year.

Any comments on what is the better/more suitable tanker for the USAF (not in general!)?
Frankentanker.jpg
Cartoon that appeared in an American newspaper about the KC-767.
Frankentanker.jpg (41.09 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
KC30&A310.jpg
A330-200 MRTT performing inflight refuelling tests with A310 MRTT.
KC30&A310.jpg (164.74 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
Publicly, we say one thing... Actually, we do another.

Robert Hilton

Re: KC-X Competition

Postby Robert Hilton » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:14 pm

I imagine that 'not made here' shall play a significant role in the decision making if for no other reason than than safe guarding continuity the fleet for an extended period. If the KC-X remains in service as long as the 135 then a home-based design authority would be desirable.

Schorsch

Postby Schorsch » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:07 pm

I imagine that 'not made here' shall play a significant role in the decision making if for no other reason than than safe guarding continuity the fleet for an extended period. If the KC-X remains in service as long as the 135 then a home-based design authority would be desirable.
I agree that the European heritage of the KC-X is its strongest shortcoming, but I do not agree with the second argument. When the aircraft remains in service for long time most if not all design engineers of the aircraft would have been retired. Most systems (engines, etc) are US-made anyways.
Publicly, we say one thing... Actually, we do another.

Robert Hilton

Postby Robert Hilton » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:26 pm

I agree that the European heritage of the KC-X is its strongest shortcoming, but I do not agree with the second argument. When the aircraft remains in service for long time most if not all design engineers of the aircraft would have been retired. Most systems (engines, etc) are US-made anyways.
Actually, I was thinking more of the political consequences of having the design authority in a foreign land. The same sort of problem arose with the Harrier GR5/7 for the RAF. As the airframes got older and the repairs got more complex the RAF found they had to keep running back to McD for drawings and repair schemes, all of which came at a price.

Return to “Military Aviation Discussion”