C-130s rescue Americans from violence in Chad

Discuss all aspects of military aviation here!

Moderators: MikeD, Robert Hilton

rattler

Postby rattler » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:33 am

SOURCE: AirForce Times
DATE: FEB 05, 2008
BY: Seamus O’Connor

Amid a third day of violence between rebels and government soldiers in Chad’s capital, two Air Force C-130s swooped in Monday to evacuate Americans and some foreign nationals.

Louis Nigro Jr., U.S. ambassador to Chad, requested assistance with the ordered departure of American citizens and officials from the city, according to a press release from U.S. European Command.

The Associated Press reported that 1,000 to 1,500 rebels in gun trucks attacked N’Djamena, the capital city, on Monday. Government-backed soldiers returned fire from tanks and helicopter gunships. The rebels retreated to the city’s fringes Tuesday, signaling readiness for a cease-fire, the AP reported.

The two C-130 came in Monday morning and took more than two dozen Americans and more than three dozen citizens from Egypt, Lebanon, Madagascar, France, Cameroon and Germany to Yaoundé, Cameroon, the release said.

A spokeswoman for EUCOM did not know which unit the C-130s were with, but that they were Air Force planes tasked by Special Operations Command Europe. The only Air Force SpecOps base in Europe is RAF Mildenhall, England. Mildenhall’s SpecOps spokesman, contacted after hours, did not immediately reply to a request for information.
Sincere condolences to all Norwegians! I guess you will need some aquevit to get over this.

Schorsch

Re: C-130s rescue Americans from violence in Chad

Postby Schorsch » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:36 am

I guess without the French soldiers in place no "American C-130" would have dared to go there. So where's the news?
Publicly, we say one thing... Actually, we do another.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:20 pm

I guess without the French soldiers in place no "American C-130" would have dared to go there. So where's the news?
You just can't help it, can you? :P

Princess Leia

Postby Princess Leia » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:20 pm

Just like in Sierra Leone, or Liberia?

Or are you just lamenting the lack of military vacations in Togo, Namibia and Tanzania?
May a plethora of uncultivated palaeontologists raise the dead in a way that makes your blood boil

Schorsch

Postby Schorsch » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:08 pm

I am just questioning what the pointing out of "American" really tells us in this story?
Publicly, we say one thing... Actually, we do another.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:23 pm

I am just questioning what the pointing out of "American" really tells us in this story?
"Who", "What", "When", and "Where" are usually the most important details when writing a news article. If someone is interested in this article, I think it stands to reason that they'd like to know who went in and picked up the civilians.

Princess Leia

Postby Princess Leia » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Actually, after reading the article closely, it never says anything about the C-130s being American. It says Americans, among others, were evacuated by C-130s, from an Air Force (never said whose) and that EUCOM was asked, but had no information.

For all we know, the article might as well be about French Air Force C-130s.
May a plethora of uncultivated palaeontologists raise the dead in a way that makes your blood boil

rattler

Postby rattler » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:39 pm

youre right, though I suppose (assume?) that if the US Air Force Times cites "Air Force C-130s" theyre not precisely refering to French a/c... 8-)

Rattler
Sincere condolences to all Norwegians! I guess you will need some aquevit to get over this.

Robert Hilton

Postby Robert Hilton » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:21 pm

youre right, though I suppose (assume?) that if the US Air Force Times cites "Air Force C-130s" theyre not precisely refering to French a/c... 8-)

Rattler
A very reasonable assumption.

Return to “Military Aviation Discussion”