US Air Supremacy Coming To An End?

Discuss all aspects of military aviation here!

Moderators: MikeD, Robert Hilton

rattler

US Air Supremacy Coming To An End?

Postby rattler » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:02 am

At least so warn articles in airforce magazine:

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/Magazi ... 8edit.aspx and
http://www.airforce-magazine.com/Magazi ... nance.aspx

Even if we keep in mind Rebecca Grants position to read between the lines, the end of the F22 indeed wont leave much supremacy as the F-35 is not suitable for this role.

Rattler
Sincere condolences to all Norwegians! I guess you will need some aquevit to get over this.

David Hilditch

Re: US Air Supremacy Coming To An End?

Postby David Hilditch » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:57 pm

I assume no-one thinks the F-35 and F-22 are interchangeable.

I have seen the F-22 perform and it's a real spectacle. But today isn't it equivalent to cracking a nut with a sledgehammer ? It also comes with an absurdly inflated unit cost price tag, and even the stealth capability is said to be over-stated. Also, no exports are permitted, which might reduce the unit cost.

As for the F-35, this is equally overpriced and untested (damn ugly too, but that's something else). Perhaps, however, the need (USMC, overseas armed forces planning and expecting this airframe...) trumps the cost.

It would be hard to justify continuing with both programs in today's economic and geopolitical environments, even though the supply chains must run into a large number of congressional districts, which makes cancellations unlikely. So they will likely continue, at lower output levels and over longer timeframes.

rattler

Re: US Air Supremacy Coming To An End?

Postby rattler » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:15 pm

So they will likely continue, at lower output levels and over longer timeframes.
Thats the question exactly: If I sum up the two articles (and some on DgrWrd: http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/12/h ... r-for.html) then there will not more than 4 more F22 be built and the line closure left open to Congress after this (I agree the price is heavy to ridiculous, but I am not in the know to judge it relatively to performance).

F35 as CAS provider - which, IMHO, is innecessary with the updated Warthogs still around (just compare loiter times: Providing 4-5 hours of immidiate-CAS-on-call has not been met yet, not to talk of damage resistance) - has nothing to do with the F22 role and probably should force Army, AF and Navy coordinate better to compensate for the outdated Harriers (I understand the probs of beaurocratic overhead for a central AtG CAS providing air force, it has been tried before and din´t work, but that was 40 yrs ago...).

Why not dive into discovering the *real* cost of an F22 (which I guess is much lower than the currently charged, check the original cost plans) and make the manufacturers comply with their contracts instead of giving up the whole project because it´s ut of the times money market focus? Shouldn´t be the sam manufactureres interested in lowering price to get on a profit off high numbers production?

Just curious and playing devils advocate, but my personal bet (take me on on PM) is that it will be canceled.

Rattler
Sincere condolences to all Norwegians! I guess you will need some aquevit to get over this.

Return to “Military Aviation Discussion”