Harrier Down in Cyprus

Discuss all aspects of military aviation here!

Moderators: MikeD, Robert Hilton

rattler

Harrier Down in Cyprus

Postby rattler » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:49 am

Two British military personnel have been injured after they ejected from their Harrier aircraft, which crashed on to a runway in Cyprus.

The crew members were on a training exercise at the Akrotiri base when it is thought the plane caught fire.
They were taken to hospital with "non-life-threatening" injuries, officials said. Next of kin have been informed.
The pair both serve with 20 squadron, a training squadron for navy and RAF crews, based at RAF Wittering, Cambs.
The incident occurred just after 1510 local time (1310 GMT).

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "We can confirm that a Harrier aircraft crashed on to the runway at RAF Akrotiri during a training sortie.
"The two personnel on board both ejected safely. An air crash investigation team is being assembled, and their investigation will determine the facts.
"It would be inappropriate to speculate on the cause of the incident."
The Ministry of Defence was unable to confirm whether the personnel were from the RAF or Royal Navy.
Akrotiri airfield opened in 1956 and is a permanent base for 84 Squadron, which performs search-and-rescue duties as well as supporting UN peacekeeping forces on the island.
The airfield is also used as a staging post for transport aircraft as well as for training.
The Red Arrows display team also practises at the base from late March each year.

Link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7879658.stm
Sincere condolences to all Norwegians! I guess you will need some aquevit to get over this.

Robert Hilton

Re: Harrier Down in Cyprus

Postby Robert Hilton » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:55 am

According to other sites it was a T12 ZH656.
The back-seater was a liney, I don't think he'll take another jolly too soon.

rattler

Postby rattler » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:39 pm

According to other sites it was a T12 ZH656.
The back-seater was a liney, I don't think he'll take another jolly too soon.
T12? What sites? Here what I had on email to alert me:
FEB 09 RAF Harrier T.10 (GR7) crashed on to the runway at RAF Akrotiri (LCRA) at 1310Z (1510J) following a reported fire. Crew ejected with minor injuries. OP unit not yet known, but 20(R)Sqn prime for the operating unit. See BBC for more.
Rattler
Sincere condolences to all Norwegians! I guess you will need some aquevit to get over this.

Robert Hilton

Postby Robert Hilton » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:48 pm

Key Publishing among others. I must admit I am not familiar with the T12 designation, but these guys tend to be anorack enough not to get the designation wrong.
20(R) Sqn was the the unit as far as I know, 20(R) being the OCU.

Return to “Military Aviation Discussion”