Bravo Zulu Boeing

Discuss all aspects of military aviation here!

Moderators: MikeD, Robert Hilton

supersean

Bravo Zulu Boeing

Postby supersean » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:00 pm

As always (nudge nudge) ... on time and under budget!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/b ... ane26.html

Interesting thread in the comments section of the article... why exactly will we need over a 100 sub hunters?
China? This could be managed with an airwing of maybe 10
Russia? Do they even have double digits subs on patrol anymore?
Semisubs from the Narcos in Mexico & Colombia? More likely
proudly serving WTF comments since 2003

flyboy2548m

Re: Bravo Zulu Boeing

Postby flyboy2548m » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:42 am

I don't think the P-8 will be used only for ASW, just like the P-3 wasn't (and isn't).
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

rattler

Postby rattler » Mon May 04, 2009 9:43 pm

why exactly will we need over a 100 sub hunters?
China? This could be managed with an airwing of maybe 10
Russia? Do they even have double digits subs on patrol anymore?
Semisubs from the Narcos in Mexico & Colombia? More likely
the Russkies have them still...

Also, think of everything combined.

Rattler
Sincere condolences to all Norwegians! I guess you will need some aquevit to get over this.

supersean

Postby supersean » Wed May 27, 2009 8:44 am

More public info on the P-8 program and features/functions

http://defence.boeing.com.au/website_33 ... NAL(1).pdf

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sun May 31, 2009 2:16 pm

A 737 with a bomb bay , I wonder if any low cost airlines would be interest in this facility to speed up checked luggage turnarounds?
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

Princess Leia

Postby Princess Leia » Sun May 31, 2009 11:52 pm

A 737 with a bomb bay , I wonder if any low cost airlines would be interest in this facility to speed up checked luggage turnarounds?

Could be the birth of new FedEx Xtreme expedited package delivery system. Just paint a bullseye on your warehouse for the best in JIT logistics!

I hope they produce 300. The elderly P-3 fleet is getting their wings flown off of them in Iraq/Afghanistan/Somalia. The 2 writeoffs this year don't help much either.
May a plethora of uncultivated palaeontologists raise the dead in a way that makes your blood boil

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:07 am

Could be the birth of new FedEx Xtreme expedited package delivery system. Just paint a bullseye on your warehouse for the best in JIT logistics!

I hope they produce 300. The elderly P-3 fleet is getting their wings flown off of them in Iraq/Afghanistan/Somalia. The 2 writeoffs this year don't help much either.
On what types of missions are they being used?

Princess Leia

Postby Princess Leia » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:01 pm

ISR (Intelligence, Survielence and Recon).

Basically, watching both physically for roadside bomb plantings, but also monitoring and jamming parts of the electromagnetic spectrum for the triggers. One of the main reasons that IED deaths dropped off so dramatically this last year. USN also threw EA-6Bs and the final deployment of S-3B Vikings at the problem.

The USAF has been flying the engines off of the E-8 and RC-135 fleet as well, which is why the sudden spurt of re-engining has gone on. RC-135s to CFM-56s and the E-8 to JT8D-219.
May a plethora of uncultivated palaeontologists raise the dead in a way that makes your blood boil

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:53 pm

ISR (Intelligence, Survielence and Recon).

Basically, watching both physically for roadside bomb plantings, but also monitoring and jamming parts of the electromagnetic spectrum for the triggers. One of the main reasons that IED deaths dropped off so dramatically this last year. USN also threw EA-6Bs and the final deployment of S-3B Vikings at the problem.

The USAF has been flying the engines off of the E-8 and RC-135 fleet as well, which is why the sudden spurt of re-engining has gone on. RC-135s to CFM-56s and the E-8 to JT8D-219.
Very cool

supersean

Postby supersean » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:57 pm

More kudos to Boeing due:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/ ... el=defense

The 737 is quickly becoming a potent mil platform.... anyone know if the USAF is using or planning weapons/sensor systems based upon the 737?

Marc 1

Postby Marc 1 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:43 am

Yeah the system works well for three hours aparently - then they have to swich off the radar and reboot the system :roll: . This project is well behind time and has cost Boeing $700 million in penalties so far over the time and performance issues. Not sure how you stop a war mid fight so the AWACs can reboot itself every 3 hours...

Trust me, not much kudos due yet. When the bugs are finally ironed out and the system meets its performance targets then we'll talk kudos.

P3_Super_Bee

Postby P3_Super_Bee » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:03 am

I don't think the P-8 will be used only for ASW, just like the P-3 wasn't (and isn't).
P-3 really hasn't hunted subs for quite some time now. Last time I checked there Iraq doesn't have subs, especially in the middle of the country. Spent some wonderful time in country(sic) P-3's spend most of thier time over land now-a-days, as will the P-8. Crews still maintain sub hunting quals, but that's bout it... ASuW is where the business is at.

ASuW = Anti-Surface Warfare.
As well as the wings being flown off the P-3... Lockheed Martin is building new ones like crazy.
Not a Boeing or Airbus guy. Lockheed is the way... 20 year Lockheed P-3 Orion guy...

Princess Leia

Postby Princess Leia » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:41 pm

As well as the wings being flown off the P-3... Lockheed Martin is building new ones like crazy.
Are these original Lockheed wings? IIRC, some US P-3s had Canadian wings with metallurgical issues (part of the Aurora sales offsets to the CF).

supersean

Postby supersean » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:47 pm

Yeah the system works well for three hours aparently - then they have to swich off the radar and reboot the system :roll: . This project is well behind time and has cost Boeing $700 million in penalties so far over the time and performance issues. Not sure how you stop a war mid fight so the AWACs can reboot itself every 3 hours...

Trust me, not much kudos due yet. When the bugs are finally ironed out and the system meets its performance targets then we'll talk kudos.
Is Microsoft the Prime on the contract?

I tried searching for any news on this program but did not find anything of substance.... do you have anything?

supersean

Postby supersean » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:49 pm

P-3 really hasn't hunted subs for quite some time now. Last time I checked there Iraq doesn't have subs, especially in the middle of the country. Spent some wonderful time in country(sic) P-3's spend most of thier time over land now-a-days, as will the P-8. Crews still maintain sub hunting quals, but that's bout it... ASuW is where the business is at.

ASuW = Anti-Surface Warfare.

In the Middle east this makes sense but there are still several adversaries with competent sub fleets.

P3_Super_Bee

Postby P3_Super_Bee » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:01 pm

Are these original Lockheed wings? IIRC, some US P-3s had Canadian wings with metallurgical issues (part of the Aurora sales offsets to the CF).
Yes. Lockheed Is manufacturing the wings at the Marietta, Georgia Plant. Lockheed manufactured the wings with the junk metal as well, the metal was just supplied from Canada. LM Marietta is currently running one shift building wings, and currently ramping up for a 2nd shift. Other countries that fly the P-3 are looking to do wing replacement as well. Cheaper to replace wing than buy a new aircraft.

You'd think that with 20 years of P-3 maintenance I would have been put on the P-3 Wing Program, even the interview said I'd probably end up there... But nope. I'm going to be on the C-130J Super Hercules Line, in Final Assembly.
Not a Boeing or Airbus guy. Lockheed is the way... 20 year Lockheed P-3 Orion guy...

Marc 1

Postby Marc 1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:51 am

Is Microsoft the Prime on the contract?

I tried searching for any news on this program but did not find anything of substance.... do you have anything?
Boeing is prime on the overall contract for delivery, N-G is responsible for the radar. Link here although it doesn't mention the reboot problem. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ra ... 5749490862

Return to “Military Aviation Discussion”