Trenton AFB

Discuss all aspects of military aviation here!

Moderators: MikeD, Robert Hilton

Lancer

Trenton AFB

Postby Lancer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:15 pm

CFB Trenton (Ontario)

2 C5's, 2 C17's, 2 AN-124's.

Strange lineup at this base.
What's up?
Lance.

Princess Leia

Re: Trenton AFB

Postby Princess Leia » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Whose C-17s were they?

Could be a few things, either equipment coming (more "lend-lease" CH-47Ds) or going (attrition replacement and forces boost to the sandbox).
May a plethora of uncultivated palaeontologists raise the dead in a way that makes your blood boil

Lancer

Postby Lancer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Whose C-17s were they?

Could be a few things, either equipment coming (more "lend-lease" CH-47Ds) or going (attrition replacement and forces boost to the sandbox).
US Air Force i believe.
Lance.

Ed

Postby Ed » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:13 pm

CFB Trenton (Ontario)

2 C5's, 2 C17's, 2 AN-124's.

Strange lineup at this base.
What's up?
Maybe they're up early for the CNE?

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:18 pm

neutrino.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Lancer

Postby Lancer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:15 pm

Should have taken a couple of pics because they looked awesome parked beside our A330s.
Lance.

VectorForFood

Postby VectorForFood » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:06 pm

Pretty sure we don't have any a330s we do have several a310s though.

The antonovs in Trenton is a regular occurance though less recently since we have the C17s doing the bulk of our Afgsn airlift.

The C5s being there is probably some sort of joint exercise or airlift assistance for some of our tank battalions in Afganistan

Princess Leia

Postby Princess Leia » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:55 pm

You know, actually, you don't have A-310s but CC-150 Polaris..... :D

See them quite regularly down here in COS. Must be support for your NORAD detachment. Poutine airlift?
May a plethora of uncultivated palaeontologists raise the dead in a way that makes your blood boil

Ed

Postby Ed » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:13 am

You know, actually, you don't have A-310s but CC-150 Polaris..... :D

See them quite regularly down here in COS. Must be support for your NORAD detachment. Poutine airlift?
The Airbus purchase were actually support for shady dealings between Mulroney and Schreiber. Politicians have to make money too ya know!

Peter_K

Postby Peter_K » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Slightly off topic but I have some very fond memories of Trenton AFB not only associated with a few air shows I attended there as a viewer.
Back in early nineties I was flying a dual cross country flight under the hood from Kingston to Toronto Pearson Int. and back. We did an approach at Person, landed and took off from the island airport, circled the CN tower and headed back to Kingston. It was late, sometime between 10 and 11PM. Pearson AFB is on direct route and has (or at least had back then) 2 routs through it's controlled zone for VFR traffic. One south and one north of the airport. We switched early to the tower frequency long before approaching the zone and it seemed that they were very quiet. My instructor said "if they are not busy they will let you sometimes fly directly over the airport (the shortest route)". We contacted the tower and our request was granted. Then the instructor said: "The controller seems like a nice guy. They have a precision radar approach system over there and even though we can not land there, sometimes they will let you do the approach. After all it is a practice for the controller too. Do you want to try it? " My answer was affirmative and so we contacted him and out request was granted again. So far it was the first and the last time I had a chance to do it. For those few moments I felt like Charlton Heston in one of the Airport movies. The controller is talking to you all the time: " above the glide slope. Increase the descend rate, right of the localizer, steer one degree to the left to intercept the localizer, glide slope intercepted, maintain the descend rate " and so on. In fact if you don't hear him talking for a few seconds you are suppose to assume the radio failure and overshoot. To land at the airfield we would need a special permission from the military, so as we were floating in the flare few feet over the runway he said overshoot now. After many years this faceless and nameless controller still has a very special place in my memory.

Return to “Military Aviation Discussion”