MSFS is back

Post tips, stories, questions, or screenshots related to Flight Simulation software.

Moderators: Pipe, ZeroAltitude

elaw

Re: MSFS is back

Postby elaw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:54 pm

Hey... does anyone here know anything about VR headsets? I know earlier versions of MSFS don't support them and 2020 isn't supposed to at release time, but rumor has it that support is coming soon.

One of the things that of course makes FS less "real" than flying an actual airplane is that you have a limited view of the world... you can't just turn your head to the left and see what's to your left in the sim. Unless you surround yourself with monitors which I'm not really in a position to do. The view-panning controls help somewhat but in my experience they can be hard to use and don't work that well. So I'm actually giving thought to getting a VR headset.

Reading reviews and discussions online, it seems like for most people (who are general gamers and usually not interested in FS much if at all), what makes a VR headset "good" is the ability for it to know its position in the room, so you can play standing up and move about the room and the view moves with you.

In FS I can see that capability being useful if you want to leave the cockpit, for example to go discuss flap settings with a concerned passenger. But I'm pretty sure FS doesn't support arguing with pax (yet) and anyhow I'm not really interested in doing that. I'm quite content to sit in my chair and fly the plane, just like most other folks in a 172 would.

So the question (finally) is, could a cheaper VR headset that doesn't have fancy position-sensing capability work well in this scenario?
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:49 pm

Hey... does anyone here know anything about VR headsets? I know earlier versions of MSFS don't support them and 2020 isn't supposed to at release time, but rumor has it that support is coming soon.
The official answer is "I don't know", but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nI8-PEbVS0

I've heard many times people recommending NOT VR but head/face/eye tracking instead.
With this system, the movement of your head in 6 DOF gets amplified so you can turn around and pan around a bit and the viewpoint and view orientation would change a lot, so for example if you turn your head 20 degrees left that would represent say 180 degrees, so you can "look back" by turning your head just a bit but still looking at the monitor.
The clear advantage of this system is that you still can see your hands, the mouse, the keyboard etc.
If you are using flight sim for flight sim, not for gaminng, you need to open checklists and procedures, look up approach charts, program the FMS, give inputs to the autopilot, tune frequencies ets and not all of that can be done HOTAS. While there are workarounds, that may be a pain if you are "enclosed" in a VR headset. Many of the youtube videos where you people "looking around" in any flight simulator (and also moving up to see the runway over the instrument panel, or moving closer to the FMS keyboard and scree, etc...) are done with head tracking. I never tried but that will definitively be my path when I buy MSFS (and a worthy computer).
Plus, many head tracking systems with very good reviews are quite inexpensive, ESPECIALLY if you compare it with a VR system.

elaw

Postby elaw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:20 pm

Whoa... I had no idea those existed!

And yes they look like a 10x better choice... I'll look into them (pun intended). Thanks! :clap:
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03 pm

Well... maybe a little faster than this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLWEXRAnQd0 :mrgreen:
You will get SPF, not FPS.
Microsoft should include narration by Bob Ross for people with crappy computeries :(
...an RTX 2080 S which I assume is the same as a "2080 super"...
yes
Junior Janitor, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Environmental Poisoning Assurance department.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Return to “Flight Simulator Discussion”