My favorite thing to do

Post tips, stories, questions, or screenshots related to Flight Simulation software.

Moderators: Pipe, ZeroAltitude

3WE

My favorite thing to do

Postby 3WE » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:07 pm

Our beginner thread is in danger of being hijacked towards "What I do for fun" in MSFS.

For me, it's mostly shooting landings and shooting ILS's.

I love nailing a landing, and then going back and replaying the last 60 seconds over with external views.

Since FS9 it is NOT as easy to have an external side view of the aircraft and an instrument panel view....it used to be fun to shoot ILS's and then hope the runway appeared underneath the plane. I know you can do this in 9 and 10, but it seems to be harder to set up and if you aren't careful you just get a few steam gauges instead of ILS needles.

I enjoy getting real world weather on a nasty day and then saving that.

I've never done a virtual airline, and think cruising tends to be boring, although I will fly shorter flights with ATC telling me what to do.

Oh yea, the "structural damage with overspeed" is turned off and the throttles stay "firewalled" for cruise.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

AndyToop

Re: My favorite thing to do

Postby AndyToop » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:47 pm

Agree about the landings, although I enjoy prepping the plane and initial climb as well. I mainly fly the 737 on short & really short flights. Newcastle - Stansted, Newark - Logan and Gatwick - Jersey are some of the routes I fly regularly. The first two because I do them in real life a lot and the third because its one of the shortest routes for the VA I fly with, Lets me keep current without biting into to much family time.
In order of preference

1. getting assigned a visual and nailing it - I might keep the auto throttle in until minimums, but there is something really rewarding about putting it right on the marker when there's no guidance (OK the PAPI)
2. coming out of the clouds at minimums on a wet & windy day. in the sim its fun - for real the pucker factor must be huge.
3. hand flying a good ILS approach.
4. When in the default planes - switching the AP off on approach because I can intercept the localiser and glide slope better than it can

FrankM

Postby FrankM » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:38 pm

I loved to fly very short flights as quickly as possible. My favourite was Dusseldorf 23L into Cologne 14L, about 5 minutes. All realism on, have to land on the runway and come to a full stop on the runway.

The other thing was flying online, especially fly-ins. Greatest fun, but very, very time consuming.
Wir sind dann mal oben !

GerryW
Mr. Salami

Postby GerryW » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:38 am

I like to land at small and difficult airfields. Or that I hop from airport to airport.

DeskFlyer

Postby DeskFlyer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:24 am

Successfully getting out of places like Pokhara in the Himalayas in a BIG jet is rewarding too, especially viewing the replay as you just scrape across the tops of mountain ridges :)

An empty 77L does nicely :)
I'm still trying to make it out in an A332 at the highest weight I can manage....
Darth: Luke, I know what you are getting for Christmas.
Luke: Noooo! That's impossible.
Darth: I felt your presents.

Return to “Flight Simulator Discussion”