So I've returned to the flight simulator world...

Post tips, stories, questions, or screenshots related to Flight Simulation software.

Moderators: Pipe, ZeroAltitude

VectorForFood

So I've returned to the flight simulator world...

Postby VectorForFood » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Finally after about a year I have returned to the flight sim world. Initially it was to brush up on some of my instrument skills prior to taking some training, now I've gone out and purchased two payware products.

The PMDG 747X

and the Flight1 MD80 for FSX.

I have to say the latter is a handful! It's an excellent excellent flight model, and far more in-depth than even the PMDG 747, or at least it seems to be, since the 747 is quite automated.

However I do enjoy the 747's failure options, but as for generally flying on VATSIM and the like it is quite a gentle bird, and I especially like the realistic braking action for both flight models... don't land too fast or you're going off the end no matter how hard you squeeze the brakes, thrust reverse and spoilers.

My only complaint is the MD80 doesn't come with an updated FMS, you have to fly with an old navigation system, which in itself is quite interesting, but for general operation it's a bit of a pain. If you want to fly a SID or a STAR you have to manually input the Lat/Long for each point, and have fun finding all of those co-ordinates.

If the MD-80 came with an option for an updated FMS it would be my number 1 pick.

AndyToop

Re: So I've returned to the flight simulator world...

Postby AndyToop » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:24 pm

I just started flying the Leanardo MadDog2006 - I chose it over the Flight one because I prefered to fly the updated glass cockpit. Downside for the MadDog is that it doesn't have the swish virtual cockpit, but I still frly from the 2d cockpit anyway. On the plus side, the systems are all modelled. I might need a dummy pilot to help me get flying in the sim, never mind stroling into the cockpit in the event of a NAV failure :D

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:33 am

[Friendly harassment/cut-up mode on]

One thought Multi-Man & Andy:

That sounds like it may be a classic MD-80...that maybe the modeller was interested in accuracy of a good ole 1980's turquoise steam-gauge panel where "real pilots" have to "fly" the plane, twist all the knobs and memorize the STAR and the approach as opposed to just monitoring it?

And here you guys want glass cockpits and the latest in FMS.....Isn't it about time someone come up with a cockpit that includes those proverbial german shepherds to go with your FMS? :mrgreen:

[/cut up mode]
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

AndyToop

Postby AndyToop » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:17 pm

[Friendly harassment/cut-up mode on]

One thought Multi-Man & Andy:

That sounds like it may be a classic MD-80...that maybe the modeller was interested in accuracy of a good ole 1980's turquoise steam-gauge panel where "real pilots" have to "fly" the plane, twist all the knobs and memorize the STAR and the approach as opposed to just monitoring it?

And here you guys want glass cockpits and the latest in FMS.....Isn't it about time someone come up with a cockpit that includes those proverbial german shepherds to go with your FMS? :mrgreen:

[/cut up mode]
[ :D right back at ya]
You want to go tell Dumviator that when he flies his Mad Dog with the glass cockpit he isn't a real pilot anymore you feel free!
At the end of the day the glass cockpit is about presentation of data, not how the plane is flown. The old steam gauge version could still be programmed to fly the star for you and in either version the AP is sitting right there in front of you, as is the disconnect switch.
As for the German Shepherd, he can stay in the right hand seat of the default planes. I've got 3 payware planes. The MadDog2006, PSS A320 and PMDG 737. All of them require at least a basic understanding of the interaction between the electrical buses, the fuel system and the air system, just to get the main engines running.
[/ :D right back at ya]

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:34 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

When (not if) Nav & copilot get's food poisoning, I'll flip ya for the left seat and after we save the day, the airline will repay us by giving us one hour of live dual instruction in an MD-80.

I used to think I wanted Nav in the instructors seat, but the more I think about it, I want him in the very back in that row where the engine blocks the window.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

VectorForFood

Postby VectorForFood » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:05 am

Now anyone know when PMDG is going to release the 737NGX?

Seems to take software guys decades to make one simple program... that or I'm just incredibly impatient.

The Notorious STG

Postby The Notorious STG » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:47 am

I got the Super 80 from Flight 1 today and I am extremely impressed.

One thing though...can't find the damn Nav Radios. Where they at??

AndyToop

Postby AndyToop » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:06 am

I got the Super 80 from Flight 1 today and I am extremely impressed.

One thing though...can't find the damn Nav Radios. Where they at??
He He - they are well hidden....

Right in front of you!

They are on the main panel, just to the left of the CRS selection/display.

I'm really happy I'm not the only one that missed them first time round :)

Return to “Flight Simulator Discussion”