X-Plane 11

Post tips, stories, questions, or screenshots related to Flight Simulation software.

Moderators: Pipe, ZeroAltitude

KPryor

X-Plane 11

Postby KPryor » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:49 pm

Anyone still flight simming around here? I got out of it for a long time but just got back in a few months ago. I left FSX behind and am running X-Plane 11 now. I would prefer real life flying instead, but alas the wallet does not allow such things.
Last edited by KPryor on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I went to prison for murder, but I stayed for the chili!

KPryor

Re: X-Plane 11

Postby KPryor » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:49 pm

Accidental double post

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:27 pm

I can't count the times my wife blew in and unplugged my yoke and pedals and shuffled them off somewhere and then put piles of papers where my yoke would go.

This has effectively killed my flight simming…

If you wish to elaborate on X-Plane 11 I would love to read it.

About a year ago, Gabiee shared information that made me think "Flight" was the way to go...

Have they finally figured a way to integrate satellite photography to the view out the window?

Any great breakthroughs on having decent instruments AND views out the window at the same time? I really didn't mind earlier FS versions, but the later ones seemed to struggle with having both a panel and a view out the window....it was more "emphasize one to the determent of the other." Hard to put it into words, but it seemed that newer displays were worse.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:34 am

I can't count the times my wife blew in and unplugged my yoke and pedals and shuffled them off somewhere and then put piles of papers where my yoke would go.

This has effectively killed my flight simming…

If you wish to elaborate on X-Plane 11 I would love to read it.

About a year ago, Gabiee shared information that made me think "Flight" was the way to go...

Have they finally figured a way to integrate satellite photography to the view out the window?

Any great breakthroughs on having decent instruments AND views out the window at the same time? I really didn't mind earlier FS versions, but the later ones seemed to struggle with having both a panel and a view out the window....it was more "emphasize one to the determent of the other." Hard to put it into words, but it seemed that newer displays were worse.
More monitors

KPryor

Postby KPryor » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:46 pm

I've been using X-Plane about 2 months now. I've been a flight simmer for about 16ish years with the various MS sims before that. From a flight handling realism standpoint (I say as a wannabe pilot) I think X-Plane wins hands down. I've never tried the Prepar3d version of what used to be FSX, so can't really say anything about that.

The graphics are so much better these days. Not perfect, but better. One thing X-Plane is missing is different graphics for each season. It's always Springtime in XP, but that doesn't bother me any. You can get add-ons to fix that I think, but I doubt I'll ever worry about that.

Regarding satellite photo scenery; there is freely available photo scenery called Orth4XP. It's not user friendly to download and install, but I've done it for a few areas and it looks good. There are tutorials on YouTube covering how to install Ortho scenery.

I think Gabriel is right. The only way to get a truly good balance between instrument view and outside view is multiple monitors. I don't have the room for that, so I live with a single monitor install and am reasonably happy with it.

For several reasons, I'll never be able to get a PPL, so this is as close as I'm gonna get.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:07 pm

More monitors
Let's see...

Big screen TV for the front windshield
Instrument monitor in front of it and maybe slightly below.

I guess Ideally two more big screens for the right and left windows.

I will sacrifice the rear monitor and have to do without 172 Omnivision….
I would prefer real life flying instead, but alas the wallet does not allow such things.
Twisting your comment- the wallet DOES allow you to get an apparently OK view of what it's like to fly a 172, Baron, KingAir, DC-3, ATR, 727, MD-80, 757, Airbii, 747*. (and however many more you wish to list) as compared to paying for training and aircraft time in those aircraft...

Even the economics of flight sim vs some time in a 150 are a tough row to hoe....then you have the whole thing of an accident rate that's 7X of cars and insurance and...

*Footnote: I tend to believe that Gabieee did not virtually bend Bobbieeee's virtual 747's as described there.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:53 pm

WHERE DID MY LONG POST GO???

Ok, short version. More monitros is a solution but not the only (or necessarily the best) one.

Head tracking systems (that sync the virtual view direction on the monitor with motion of your head) and 3D glasses provide an infinite-size surrounding monitor (and 3D too for the glasses) using zero desk space, and for a reasonable price (even for free for some head-tracking apps, as long as you have a webcam and a baseball cap).

Go and look flight sim youtube videos. The results are impressive. I don't have any flight sim now are any computer that would run them well, so I am not going to try them any time soon. But I encourage you to do it and report back.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:32 pm

Head tracking systems (that sync the virtual view direction on the monitor with motion of your head) and 3D glasses provide an infinite-size surrounding monitor (and 3D too for the glasses)
Awesome!

Only going to get cheaper...

KPryor

Postby KPryor » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:53 pm

I'm planning to pick up a cheap webcam and try the demo of TrackerXP to see if it will work well for me. Other head tracking systems are pretty expensive.

Return to “Flight Simulator Discussion”