MSFS is back

Post tips, stories, questions, or screenshots related to Flight Simulation software.

Moderators: Pipe, ZeroAltitude

elaw

Re: MSFS is back

Postby elaw » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:38 pm

I can't remember... did that version have any concept of "weather" at all?

If it didn't have weather, I wonder what the point of putting in a carb heat control was.
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:11 pm

I can't remember... did that version have any concept of "weather" at all?

If it didn't have weather, I wonder what the point of putting in a carb heat control was.
Yes! It did have
- 2 layers of clouds where you could setup bottom and top (they were yes/no clouds, i.e. everything was white or perfect visibility with nothing in the middle)
- 3 (or 4?) layers of winds, where you could define bottom and top of each one and wind speed
- Atmospheric pressure and temperature (for the altimeter setting and effects of density altitude)

I don't know if the carb heat did anything other than lower your RPM a bit. I think it was more procedural than practical.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:54 am

What? (honest question)
Ryzen Pro is a business/enterprise oriented version of the Ryzen line that (to my knowledge) does Not_add anything useful for the average user (it has security and management thingies). In fact, they are Not_overclockable, while the non-Pro variants are.

Intel X series is a High-End Desktop (HEDT, Threewie will love the acronym) platform aimed at working before gaming.

I don't know why they recommend Ryzen Pro; I suspect they recommend Intel X series because they made the list before Intel launched mainstream 8 core processors (... but that happened 1.5 years ago or more) but, in any case, I don't know why they did Not_simply put something like "You need an 8c/16t Intel Core-i series or 2nd gen AMD Ryzen processor (or better)".
Yes. I mean, that was my 2nd PC. First one was I don't remember if a 286 or a 386 (and before that a Talent that I still keep in a corner of my hart), so if things are as you say (which I don't doubt) I must be confusing which one had the FPU.
Nice!! (and also Nice!! are the photos and stories shared by you and the other forumites. Maybe we should make an Old Computerie thread... :idea:
(Google-translate proof)
Not_entirely;
Chabón, you can see that you have it clear in these straws. When the day comes (hopefully not the day of the goalkeeper), don't you go ahead and help me choose which machine to buy, or what chassis and what joraca I put inside?
I'm Not_precisely El Experto Informático Nacional Súper Genial del Milenio (at all), but I will be glad to help if I can.
Well the computer of course is of the specification necessary to engage in high-quality parlour talk in internet fora. :mrgreen:
And great interwebz speeds are indispensable to load all those wonderful full-res JetPhotos!
Re the graphics card, it might be the first time I've ever spent more than $100 for such a thing - my current GTX 1050 card was a gift from a coworker. He's one of those types who always has to have the latest & greatest, and when a new GPU comes out, he's happy to toss last month's in the trash.
Cool! My and Not_Mom's computers from the last 10-14 years are/were made mostly of free hardware :P .
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

elaw

Postby elaw » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:12 pm

...I don't know why they did Not_simply put something like "You need an 8c/16t Intel Core-i series or 2nd gen AMD Ryzen processor (or better)".
Or just be honest and say no matter what processor you have, you need one that's more powerful.

It's basically the PC equivalent of the old rock-band-sound-engineering joke "I need everything louder than everything else". :lol:

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:17 pm

All that asid, previous versions of Fight Sim, if you wanted to use the sim all settings maxed out while enjoying frame rates that really gave a smooth sensation of motion instead of "succession of pictures" (say 25+ FPM) you hat to wait 2 to 4 years after the release of the sim for the necessary software to even exist.

So if you can buy a $2000 computer today and have the quality of graphics and frame rates that we've seen in the promotion videos, that's an improvement.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:23 pm

:o :o :o :o

Watch this! Reportedly captured in 4K REAL TIME!!!! (meaning that's how it looked when they were using the sim, no trick like flying a 25% speed and then playing back at 4x to improve the render and frame rates, no post-production...)

I wish they told us the specs of the computer they used. But this is just beyond amazing and beautiful.

MANDATORY TO WATCH IN FULL SCREEN!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYqJALPVn0Y

elaw

Postby elaw » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:17 pm

:clap:

That's part of why I'm so excited about this new version. Unless MS has access to a wormhole connecting us with an alternate universe where superior components are available (which I would not rule out), that and the other FS2020 videos from a variety of different people are presumably being done using currently-available hardware that you can go out and buy. Never mind that there's a new generation of GPUs allegedly appearing very soon with double-digit performance increases!

elaw

Postby elaw » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:24 pm

If that doesn't wet your whistle quite enough, here's a full hour of eye candy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhk-_coKaVY
Not much info on sourcing is given... it includes some stuff I feel like I've seen before, but a lot that I haven't.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:23 am

This video has recommendations of components to build your own PC for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, at each of the 3 levels (minimum, recommended and ideal) specified by Microsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ2vWrheeVw

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:27 pm

Ken's Radio Shack Computer

Excellent.

You win.

As stated before- I started with a Commodore 64...SubLogic flight simulator AND I invested in a joy stick from K-mart....

Took about 5 min to load...The first virtual aeroplanie crash resulted in a 3-min reload of Chy-Cago.

Still, the #1 missing feature on new Flight Sims for ~20 years... A little checkbox to "Include Meigs Field".

I once flew from Meig's to Champaign...It was kind of painful.

It was also fun to develop the talent to fly using the number pad...up...down...left...right...Oh Phugoid [in a rather literal sense].
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:03 am

Still, the #1 missing feature on new Flight Sims for ~20 years... A little checkbox to "Include Meigs Field".
CONCUR.
As far as I'm concerned, it is Not_a flight simulator if it does Not_include Meigs Field.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."

elaw

Postby elaw » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:01 am

As far as I'm concerned, it is Not_a flight simulator if it does Not_include Meigs Field.
Including an incredibly lifelike rendition of Richard Daley standing in the middle of the runway, so you can mow him down while landing.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:45 am

As stated before- I started with a Commodore 64...SubLogic flight simulator

It was also fun to develop the talent to fly using the number pad...up...down...left...right...Oh Phugoid [in a rather literal sense].
Liar. The Commodore 64 didn't have a number pad. You controlled it with 5 letter keys which I think were B (up) ,T (down), F (left), H (right) and G (center ailerons).

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:43 pm

MCAS- induced double post

(Monchavo Commanded Aviation Shack)
Last edited by 3WE on Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:43 pm

As stated before- I started with a Commodore 64...SubLogic flight simulator

Liar. The Commodore 64 didn't have a number pad. You controlled it with 5 letter keys which I think were B (up) ,T (down), F (left), H (right) and G (center ailerons).
Not_Liar.

I confused exact Commodore keys with many years of using the number pad on IBM machines...

Thank you for the memory jog.

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:12 am

elaw

Postby elaw » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:02 pm

:clap:

Good redundancy with 3 of each instrument too. New pilot challenge: keep 6 VOR needles all centered at the same time. :lol:

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:36 pm

elaw

Postby elaw » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:03 pm

A little more eye candy, as if we needed it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIZur7caBvM

elaw

Postby elaw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:25 am

And here's one that shows how 2020 performs at different graphics settings with specific hardware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctmzO6DBydc

Spoiler alert: even at "low" it's pretty damn good IMO!

Not_Karl

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:37 am

I wonder how many FPS will I get with my mighty Intel HD 4600 iGPU :mrgreen: .

elaw

Postby elaw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:00 am

Well... maybe a little faster than this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLWEXRAnQd0 :mrgreen:

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:49 am

I wonder how many FPS will I get with my mighty Intel HD 4600 iGPU :mrgreen: .
You will get SPF, not FPS.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:51 am

And here's one that shows how 2020 performs at different graphics settings with specific hardware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctmzO6DBydc

The hardware was in line with the "Ideal" spec, right?

The FPS were decent even in 4K with the graphics settings maxed out.

elaw

Postby elaw » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:33 pm

I think so, except the graphics card may be a notch higher? I think "ideal" calls for an RTX 2080 and he has an RTX 2080 S which I assume is the same as a "2080 super", which performs a tad better than the 2080-with-no-suffix. But not as well as a 2080 ti. And not nearly as well as the rumored RTX 3080 which is supposed to be coming out "real soon".

Return to “Flight Simulator Discussion”