Open in a new window

Experiencing problems ? Suggestions to make the place better ?

Moderators: FrankM, Frankie

Digger

Open in a new window

Postby Digger » Thu May 07, 2009 4:25 pm

Is it possible to make links here open in a new window, rather than leaving the thread one is using?

I like to check the links in anything I might be posting (while in the preview window), to be sure they work, and when I do that, my post gets lost, and I have to re-do it...

PurduePilot

Re: Open in a new window

Postby PurduePilot » Thu May 07, 2009 4:30 pm

If you're using Firefox, just right click on the link and select "Open in a new tab" or "Open in a new window"

Digger

Postby Digger » Thu May 07, 2009 9:24 pm

I'm using IE, and all the other sites I belong to open in new windows. I figured it was something having to do with settings here.

Giles

Postby Giles » Fri May 08, 2009 2:26 pm

In IE you can right click and select open in new window (or tab). Also, I believe there is a setting in IE where you can set it to permanently open up link in new windows.

GerryW
Mr. Salami

Postby GerryW » Fri May 08, 2009 9:01 pm

In IE you can right click and select open in new window (or tab). Also, I believe there is a setting in IE where you can set it to permanently open up link in new windows.
Giles, I couldn't find a setting where you click on the link and a new window or tab opens. One thing you can do, when you click on the link, press the STRG (or CTRL (depending on your keyboard)) this opens the link in a new tab, but still showing the tab you are just reading. If you press STRG (CTRL) and SHIFT and you click on the link, the link opens in a new tab and IE switches to the new tab.

It's easier when you have a 3 button or a wheel-mouse, where the middle button or the pressing of the wheel opens the link in a new tab.

But, in the Internet Options (from IE: Extras-Internet Options; Tab: General-Tabbed Browsing-Settings) Tabbed Browsing has to be activated.

The same goes for the FOX.

Digger

Postby Digger » Fri May 08, 2009 10:26 pm

Well, I guess you learn something new every day. (Especially if you bother to ask.)As I said, I'm used to new windows opening automatically in other forums I visit, but that right click will do for here. Thanks.

Gerry, are you putting your cursor on the link when you right click? You get a different list if you click on a spot on the page other than a link...

GerryW
Mr. Salami

Postby GerryW » Fri May 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Gerry, are you putting your cursor on the link when you right click? You get a different list if you click on a spot on the page other than a link...
Yes, Digger, you put the cursor on the link (if you want that one to be opened in a new tab) but you have to click left (for a right hand mouse) so the link opens without a context menu. Context menu is the one which appears when you click right.

The two menus are different, like you noticed.

Giles

Postby Giles » Sun May 10, 2009 3:36 am

Giles, I couldn't find a setting where you click on the link and a new window or tab opens. One thing you can do, when you click on the link, press the STRG (or CTRL (depending on your keyboard)) this opens the link in a new tab, but still showing the tab you are just reading. If you press STRG (CTRL) and SHIFT and you click on the link, the link opens in a new tab and IE switches to the new tab.
Hi Gerry,

After looking into it some more i couldnt find the option I mentioned for IE. However, right clicking on the link i can select either "open in new window" or "open in new tab".

Also this might help the original poster;
Open Internet Explorer.
Select Tools from the menu bar.
Click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab.
Uncheck Reuse Windows For Launching Shortcuts (under Browsing).
Click OK.

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:47 pm

The only things worse than websites which open links in new windows are websites which use javascript to open links.

By the way, the best program for marketing, SEO and SMM for me - it a XRumer 12.0.9 Elite :)
Are you thinking a civil ceremony or a more traditional church wedding?
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”