Moments frozen in time v.35.556b

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Giles

Re: Moments frozen in time v.35.556b

Postby Giles » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:28 pm

Most users ever online was 52 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:15 am

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:54 pm

Per nailed it completely as he often does. Respect must be earned, and Nav5 always did so, [even from Per Axleson :-)]. Some of the other so-called professional pilots deservedly earned total contempt for their behavior.

Seems nobody believes Kilroy's stated reasons for the forum demise. Carlos picked a particularly painful incident to choose to resurrect however, because the so-called email ring really marked the end of a period that had enjoyed some rather extraordinary interpersonal dynamic amongst members of the OTF. Meetings were held in NYC, London, Atlanta, Rhinebeck, Washington, Berlin and yes even St Maarten and were generally enjoyed by all who participated.

Pipe has raised some very interesting questions as well. Regardless of their answers, I hope that this place can to some degree recapture some of the good feelings which often [not always] characterised the OTF in the early part of the century.
Believe it or not, I'm only now seeing this debate here and this post. As far as the email-ring goes, I recall we were forced to create an alternative for some time due to yet another server crash at that time. If memory serves me well it was at Yahoo Groups and was in the time the first Space Shuttle exploded on take-off. I've never fully understood what was wrong with that. Because some "important members" were not invited in? As to the respect due to professionals, I agree with the saying that everyone who contributed in a positive way (and does so even today) gets the proper "respect". As to the AD.com forum having the need to be closed I believe a change in admins would have done it but I believe as well Chris Kilroy would never accept handing the keys over to non-US members.

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:10 pm

Uh oh, did I hit some nerve here?

Yes, we´re on different tracks, indeed. I got a lifetime ban over this whole stinking story while you were singing "Kumbaya, Pipe deserved it!". But OK, I can always open another thread.

Keep cosy, Carlos!

Pipe
Yes, I did say that because you were asking to be banned for such a long time... obviously I said that in humour.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:18 pm

Flyboy:

Wow dude- you actually answered one of my posts several days ago, that the airport where you learned to fly, still has one operation offering instruction.

In that vein, I must confess that I say some stupid stuff from time to time.

You are welcome to trash me when I do, but I hope that as an aviation enthusiast can ask some genuine questions, AND say some stupid stuff without being totally blown off.

And while we are at it, what is this crap of ITS implying that pilots need to have an instinct to lower the nose to gain airpseed to avoid stalls and maintain controllability?
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:22 pm

And- in classic form- this thread has gone off topic.

As to "moments frozen in time":

A big one was the simultaneous banning AND REMOVAL OF ALL POSTS of ITS and Jet Captain (by thier request, as I recall).

Lost in that- was the beginnings of ITS' autobiography. Him getting hired by Lone Star, the backwards-rigged ailerons on the plane he was to fly, and one or two others.

Then we have the topic of whether a dummy could land an airliner.

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:34 pm

Was it a banning of ITS or a removal of his account at his request for the reasons you point out?

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:56 pm

Was it a banning of ITS or a removal of his account at his request for the reasons you point out?
I hearby publicly accuse ITS of two things:

1) Stirring crap.

2) Jabbing at folks to the point that they sometimes get PO'd at him.

(While the AD.com evidence no longer exists, the JP stuff is clearer in our short-term memories).

So, he received temporary bans.

Such was life.

ITS Mellowed, AD.com was Kilroyed, Alternative fora were established.

All that being said, ITS's recent behavior was very mild, and the Jet Psycho response was extremely intense and extremely flawed, and his banning appeared to be extremely permanent and extremely inappropriate.

I believe the post removal at AD.com was ITS's request.

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:20 am

I'm going over the names of some of the members having contributed for some of the "moments frozen in time" and get to see our luxembourg friend Gerry visited this forum last time June 25th, 2009. Anyone can tell me why?

Digger

Postby Digger » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:09 am

I'm going over the names of some of the members having contributed for some of the "moments frozen in time" and get to see our luxembourg friend Gerry visited this forum last time June 25th, 2009. Anyone can tell me why?
He was having a momentary lapse of good judgement...

el

Postby el » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:39 am

He was throughly p!ssed at some members and decided to call it a day "at least for some time as he mentioned". IIRC correctly the whole story evolved around salamis and CRJ-drivers.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 pm

...I hope that as an aviation enthusiast can ask some genuine questions, AND say some stupid stuff without being totally blown off.
I'm still waiting for your first-ever "genuine question".
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:35 pm

Define genuine.

3 WE: Are small, FBO-based flight instruction programs all but gone in the US?

Flyboy: The airport where I learned to fly has declined from 7 to 1.

3 WE: I genuinely appreciate the answer.

IntheShade
ISGPOTM, 2nd only to Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger

Postby IntheShade » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:39 pm

Define genuine.

3 WE: Are small, FBO-based flight instruction programs all but gone in the US?

Flyboy: The airport where I learned to fly has declined from 7 to 1.

3 WE: I genuinely appreciate the answer.
I am about a 5.3
Aviation Pilot, Author, Genius

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:16 pm

He was throughly p!ssed at some members and decided to call it a day "at least for some time as he mentioned". IIRC correctly the whole story evolved around salamis and CRJ-drivers.
And that "p!ssed him off"?? That was his everyday talk as far as I remember... but I can understand his urge to take some time as many of us do once in a while...

And Empress Katharina showed solidarity with him as I see also.

Thanks for the answer, el.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:39 pm

And that "p!ssed him off"?? That was his everyday talk as far as I remember...
Why "was"? Still is.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:35 pm

"Was" because his last visit here was on June the 25th. He must have been p!ssed off as hell, indeed... Four months of absence here...

Giles

Postby Giles » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:58 pm

by Ed on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:17 am
And in a rare Ed occasion, I agree with Giles.

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:13 pm

If memory serves me well it was at Yahoo Groups and was in the time the first Space Shuttle exploded on take-off.
Hmmm. something doesn't add up: Challenger broke up in 1986, Yahoo was founded in 1994.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

Carlos G.

Postby Carlos G. » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:23 pm

If memory serves me well it was at Yahoo Groups and was in the time the first Space Shuttle exploded on take-off.
Hmmm. something doesn't add up: Challenger broke up in 1986, Yahoo was founded in 1994.
You're correct, it was on e-groups as I wrote in the first posting of this thread, Yahoo bought them later on. But the reason for the making of that group I recall it very well since it was me who put it up for the time we were out of AD.com and I've chosen a pic of the Space Shuttle for the front page in honour and memory of the crew who perished in that accident.

On the other hand, that wasn't an e-mail-ring... that was a group everyone could join at request and for the time the forum was in oblivion. Maybe there are other things which went on but have nothing to do with this e-group I refer to. Since we're remembering old times (in spite of Pipe calling it "a dead horse") maybe it's interesting to put things lined-up the proper way.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”