de Havilland DH 84 down

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Thunder Down Under

de Havilland DH 84 down

Postby Thunder Down Under » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:57 am

DH 84 down in Queensland. Aircraft was on a scenic flight with six souls on board. The pilot's father and brother were both killed when a similar DH84 crashed when he was just eleven years old. Emergency beacon activated but cut out before a fix could be obtained. Probably under the tree canopy ala Stinson style.

The last person to have contact with pilot Des Porter says he sounded like his "usual self" before he lost radio communication and his plane disappeared.

Mr Porter, 68, was one of six people on board his prized red 1930s biplane, de Havilland DH84 when he activated an emergency beacon and called for help about 1.30pm (AEST) on Monday.

He was flying from the Monto Fly-in in central Queensland after conducting joy rides to raise money for charity to Caboolture, but never arrived.

AGL Action Rescue Helicopter crewman Rick Harvey says Mr Porter is well known in the area and he had heard his voice over the airwaves many times before.

He said Mr Porter had told him he was 45 nautical miles north of Caboolture, had about 30 minutes of fuel and did not know exactly where he was due to cloud cover, when he lost communication with him.

"He sounded his usual self, but also possibly there was a little bit to the voice as all of us would be under a bit of pressure under that situation," he told reporters in Maroochydore.

"But to me, knowing his voice, he certainly sounded as though he was doing a good job at that stage."

Seven helicopters and one plane are searching for the aircraft within a 700 square mile radius, but have had no success.

Mr Harvey said crews would change search patterns on Tuesday afternoon after preliminary searches were unsuccessful.

Earlier, search co-ordinator Superintendent Terry Borland told reporters ground crews were ready to be deployed as soon as air crews had pinpointed a location.

Crews remained hopeful survivors would be found, he said.

TDU
I don't have a plan........therefore nothing can go wrong.....

Thunder Down Under

Re: de Havilland DH 84 down

Postby Thunder Down Under » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:17 am

Wreckage found. No further news at this time.

TDU

Thunder Down Under

Postby Thunder Down Under » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:02 am

No survivors

TDU

rattler

Postby rattler » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:49 pm

A/c and pilot in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onlM7VXW2Qw

Rattler

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”