787 troubles, the latest news..

Discussion of aviation issues which are not safety related (airline operations, pilot contracts, aviation industry news, etc.)

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

Ancient Mariner

Re: 787 troubles, the latest news..

Postby Ancient Mariner » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:27 am

This is starting to remind me of the battle between the DC10 and the Tristar.
What aircraft is playing the role of the TriStar in this situation?
?? the A350... but don't run off making the analogy about that aircraft. It is simply starting to smell like the 787 was in need of more development before it pissed off the airlines.

After the 777 there were rightfully high expectations of exceptional dispatch rates and safety, and I still hope the 787 will achieve this.
Norwegian's CEO (or whatever) Bjørn Kjos is mighty pissed off with Boing and its Screamliner already,and has said so publicly. Called in some Boing hot shots to a crisis meeting in Oslo this week and gave them the once over, received apologies and promises in return. Don't know how useful that will be as just a few days later they had a massive delay again due tech. Norwegian pax are rapidly losing confidence with Norwegian's long haul program and are seeping back to SAS again. LCC long haul simply doesn't work, no back-up, no alliance, no code sharing, you're on your own. Just arrived SIN from Perth a few hours ago by Qantas, would never choose a LCC on anything above 2 hours which isn't A to B only.
Per

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:39 pm

Pffttt. 'Tis but a fairing. Move along.
"I'm putting an end to this f*ckery." - Rayna Boyanov

GlennAB1

Postby GlennAB1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:41 am

Pffttt. 'Tis but a fairing. Move along.
Pffttt... Smaller panels than that have caused aircraft to crash.
you still have to find a crew willing to fly this "barely airworthy" heap
no such thing as "barely airworthy" it's either Airworthy or Not
100% incorrect Ever hear of Ferry Permit? issued for Non airworthy aircraft
LOL

Procede

Postby Procede » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:27 am

Now they even have vertical tails coming off: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57530104@N02/10341011313/

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Except? This one didn't, but thank you for playing.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:24 am

Except? This one didn't, but thank you for playing.
Nobody is interested in facts here, verbie.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Nobody is interested in facts here, verbie.

If you created the turd, you gotta pull the chain.
2022: The year of the Squid Singularity

J

Postby J » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:11 pm

On Rented 787, Tanaka Makes Entrance That Is ‘So Yankees’

A Japan Airlines Boeing 787 Dreamliner, capable of carrying nearly 200 people up to 7,850 nautical miles, touched down at Kennedy International Airport on Sunday afternoon with only six passengers, including an ace pitcher, his pop star wife, a personal manager and a toy poodle named Haru.

The unusual flight manifest was not a joke, but the grand entrance of Masahiro Tanaka, the Yankees’ flamboyant Japanese pitcher who put his newfound dollars to immediate use.

Eager to avoid a snowstorm and arrive in New York in time for his introductory news conference Tuesday, Tanaka rented the plane from JAL for an estimated $200,000. Not even Reggie Jackson made such a colorful entrance to New York when he signed as a free agent with the Yankees in November 1976.

“Totally over the top,” said Robert W. Mann, an aviation consultant. “So Yankees.”

Masahiro Tanaka signed a seven-year, $155 million deal with the Yankees last month.

But the Yankees did not participate in Tanaka’s decision to charter a commercial jet, and their most affluent players tend to use private jets rather than fly on commercial airlines. Tanaka’s new $155 million contract calls for a certain number of first-class tickets between Japan and the United States a year, so he will be reimbursed the equivalent of the price of the first-class ticket.

Eager to avoid a snowstorm and arrive in New York in time for his introductory news conference Tuesday, Tanaka rented a plane from JAL. Jiji Press/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Carol Anderson, a spokeswoman for JAL, confirmed that a flight was chartered from Tokyo to J.F.K. on Sunday, but would not reveal the cost of the flight. She said the plane returned to Tokyo as a ferry flight, meaning it refueled, turned around and flew back empty, perhaps with a few extra dog hairs.

When the Yankees signed Tanaka last month from the Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan, questions immediately arose about how he would make the adjustment to major league baseball. Would he take to the baseball used in the United States or the mound? Would he be able to handle the schedule and the increased travel? How would he handle the bigger hitters?

If nothing else, he has demonstrated resourcefulness.

Tanaka’s commute to Narita Airport from his hotel in downtown Tokyo — usually a two-hour journey — took eight and a half hours. Trains were not running and the highways were impassable, according to reports in Japan, and Tanaka’s driver was forced to use tiny, snow-covered surface roads to reach the airport.

As is customary for most Japanese baseball players traveling to and from Japan, a news conference was set up at the airport before his departure. Dozens of reporters representing Japanese news media were at J.F.K. on Sunday to record his arrival and photograph the boxes — some labeled for New York, others for Tampa, Fla., the team’s spring training facility — stacked in the luggage area.

At Narita, Tanaka’s personal manager, Yoshiki Sato, said that with bad weather approaching the metropolitan area they thought it best to charter the plane in advance. That way, they would not have to worry about cancellations or missing the flight because of a strenuous trip to the airport. He said Tanaka needed to get to New York in a manner befitting a major league player.

Mann, the aviation consultant, said Tanaka could probably have found a less conspicuous way to fly from Tokyo to New York. Flying 5,870 nautical miles is easily within the range of several smaller private jets, including the Gulfstream G-V, G550 and G650 and the Bombardier Global 6000, he said.

Those planes can fly the distance nonstop, depending on wind and payload, and in the event of unfavorable wind, a refueling stop in Anchorage is often part of the flight plan. It is believed the JAL charter took less than the usual 13 hours because of the lighter payload. Without the many additional passengers, their luggage and the fuel needed to carry them, the plane is believed to have made the trip to J.F.K. in less than 11 hours.

That makes sense, because the scouting report on Tanaka emphasizes his ability to increase his velocity when needed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/sport ... .html?_r=0

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:37 pm

Boeing Co. (BA) is checking for hairline wing cracks on some 787 Dreamliners in production after supplier Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. (7011) alerted the planemaker about possible risks to the aircraft.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-0 ... otice.html

As I said when the 787 first took to the air in commercial service in 2011 ;
Inflight structural break-up within eighteen months

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:13 am

Boeing Co. (BA) is checking for hairline wing cracks on some 787 Dreamliners in production after supplier Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. (7011) alerted the planemaker about possible risks to the aircraft.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-0 ... otice.html

As I said when the 787 first took to the air in commercial service in 2011 ;
Inflight structural break-up within eighteen months
Did you even read the article?

Also your eighteen months were up a year ago.

Sickbag

Postby Sickbag » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:51 pm

Wrong.The eighteen months start from today.Like always.

PurduePilot

Postby PurduePilot » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:19 pm

Wrong.The eighteen months start from today.Like always.
How convenient.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Those cracks means another delay for 4 Screamliners destined for NAS, I bet Kjos is mighty pissed off by now.
In other news, http://www.cbsnews.com/news/japan-airli ... -honolulu/
Per

Gabriel

Norwegian Airlines grounds all 787 flights until August 1st

Postby Gabriel » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:29 pm

Per, any info?
I was trying to book a cheap flight to Copenhagen from JFK and two representatives on two seperate calls told me (apprehensively and after some interrogation) that they are substituting EuroAtlantic 777 for their scheduled dreamliner service due to "maintenance issues" and will not fly the 787 from JFK until August 1st.

Why?

Ancient Mariner

Re: Norwegian Airlines grounds all 787 flights until August

Postby Ancient Mariner » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:02 pm

Per, any info?
I was trying to book a cheap flight to Copenhagen from JFK and two representatives on two seperate calls told me (apprehensively and after some interrogation) that they are substituting EuroAtlantic 777 for their scheduled dreamliner service due to "maintenance issues" and will not fly the 787 from JFK until August 1st.

Why?
News to me, Norway shuts down Sunday before Easter and opens Tuesday after. Very quiet on the news front, but I will do some digging.
Per

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:06 pm

Got to see the Norwegian Pantyliner at FLL a few days back. They were deplaning through airstairs due to some issue with the jet bridge.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

Sir Gallivant

Postby Sir Gallivant » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:58 pm

norwegian20140421.JPG
norwegian20140421.JPG (89.71 KiB) Viewed 14606 times
Right now, 21 april 2014 1355UTC, I can see 3 B787 from Norwegian at Flightradar24.com, so at the moment they are not completely grounded ;-)
Veni, Vidi, Velcro!

Verbal

Postby Verbal » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:14 pm

A little birdie left this in my inbox.
The United fleet has really matured over the past couple of months. Many positive inputs each night from the Flight Crews and Cabin Crew. Still a few minor cabin issues need attention but overall nothing but positive words about “The Dreamliner”. Tonight, a couple of pilots told me they really believe it is a game changer. These inputs were from previous Continental 777 experienced pilots. The pilots told me that coming in yesterday they are passing every type of airplane across the Pacific Ocean. Take off and get to FL350 and then climb to FL410 and leave all the legacy airplanes in the dust and very proud of the performance.

These flight crews will be operating the LAX-MEL-LAX route with the 787-9 starting October 2014.

It seems the United airlines crews on the LAX-PVG-LAX are enjoying “Living the Dream” with the 787.

el

Postby el » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Are these birdies employed by :mrgreen: Boeing :mrgreen: ?

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:02 pm

Being at the top of UAL's seniority list would make even the Short Skyvan enjoyable.

tds
Location: ...a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm

Postby tds » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 am

No mention of, um, passengers in there, Verbal?

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:48 pm

Norwegian Air suspends talks to buy 20 new Boeing Dreamliners
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/norwegian ... ntentstory

Probably fed up with American government, airlines and unions.
Per

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:47 pm

Per
Good. We have enough scab scumbag outfits here, we don't need any more from elsewhere.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:38 pm

Per
Good. We have enough scab scumbag outfits here, we don't need any more from elsewhere.
Never mind Boeng losing an order for 20 Screamliners and never mind that pax, like pilots like cheap goods? Not that I care much, Norwegian not my no. 1 choice anyways.
Per

Return to “Aviation Discussion Forum”