What "We" Should be Doing in Agronomy

Off topic posts are welcome in this forum!

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

3WE

What "We" Should be Doing in Agronomy

Postby 3WE » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:39 pm

Not_Karl will understand...but if anyone else want's to play along...
What We Should be Doing in Agronomy.jpg
What We Should be Doing in Agronomy.jpg (81.21 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

PurduePilot

Re: What "We" Should be Doing in Agronomy

Postby PurduePilot » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:05 am

What are we doing in ag? Don't know, don't care, trust the experts.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:57 am

Nice to know that there are know-it-all we-outsiders also in agriculture.
Now I wonder if agricultural workers are as stupid, badly trained, common-sense-lacking, procedure-violating-cowboy-subhumans as pilots.
Whatever the case might be, I'm pretty sure that I could do a better job than them (and you) after a couple of hours with this.

"Can a dummy plow a field?"
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Ancient Mariner

Postby Ancient Mariner » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:32 am

Farmers, strange breed. Never understood them.
Per

3WE

Postby 3WE » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:23 pm

A couple of funny parallel comments, including referencing MSFS (Farm Simulator) and whether a Dummy can plow a field
So many potential replies to choose from. I think I will go with this:
Go on, Not_Karl, keep playing with your Farm Simulator and reading your Farm Journal. You will never know what it's like to do for real! Today, I am staying in a motel in rural Flyover, USA and the wheat fields are beautiful! (By the way, if it's not green, I'm not driving it, I don't agree with Case-IH hydraulic steering logic!)
(It is also noteworthy that current tractor technology is laden with GPS-RTK auto-steer (and differing systems between manufacturers), so cue all the other stuff about automation versus hand driving, traditional skills and "what's it doing now?"...oh, and hell yeah, we gots us some acronyms!)
How will we handle cattle production? What derogatory term should be applied to individuals who heard cattle but choose to wantonly violate procedures? Would that be "Aeronautical Engineer Cattlepersons"?
What are we doing in ag? Don't know, don't care, trust the experts.
Yeah, but, the experts are not right 100% of the time. We're currently planting a few million acres of corn. It will get a few hundred million pounds of fertilizer and a few million acres of pesticides. Guess what will happen over the next month. Some heavy rains somewhere in the corn belt followed by the detection of fertilizer and pesticides entering the Gulf of Mexico...yeah, it's low levels, but some marine plants are gonna love it and some fish are gonna not like it.

And you aviation experts...and your rudder actuator valves that stick and go into reverse mode...mechanics who use a forklift to install engines (against procedure) and your well trained pilots who use procedures from the 172 POH on how to do a deliberate stall (except the do them to A-300's)...and the two times in history that DC-9 guys forgot the flaps...AND the time the well trained pilots follow procedure to near perfection, when after the fact, it's discovered that using a fundamental rule might have saved the day!

...and hey, let's throw in medical, health and pharmaceutical issues! Should I drink this diet soda? Should Cleo McDowell be telling me the calories in the Big Mic Super Value Meal?

Sorry, but we outsiders cannot help but sit back on our keyboards on obscure fora and ask, "how does this happen, how can it be prevented and it seems so simple and obvious to me, the outsider, that this should be considered." Especially when we are paying money for these services and sometimes they kill us.

...I've amassed nearly 7,000 hours, earned 4 type ratings, been with three airlines, and traversed the Americas from Edmonton to Lima. The only thing I've learned is that I know next to nothing about aviation....

Wow, indeed, and atomic bombshell genius and truth for all of us in our respective areas of expertise (and areas where we participate as outside, ass-hat parlour talkers).

And, looking for hidden meaning from other threads, I simply hope we can have discussions in obscure aviation (or agronomic or medical or musical, or etc.) fora, and we outsiders take care to not be overly presumptuous with our outsider advice and occasionally hear some genuine wisdom from the genuine insiders.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:19 am

Go on, Not_Karl, keep playing with your Farm Simulator and reading your Farm Journal. You will never know what it's like to do for real! Today, I am staying in a motel in rural Flyover, USA and the wheat fields are beautiful! (By the way, if it's not green, I'm not driving it, I don't agree with Case-IH hydraulic steering logic!) You just dream the dream, I live it, and get paid big $$ to do it.
Fixed.
(...oh, and hell yeah, we gots us some acronyms!)
:clap:
How will we handle cattle production? What derogatory term should be applied to individuals who heard cattle but choose to wantonly violate procedures? Would that be "Aeronautical Engineer Cattlepersons"?
"Pilots". I don't think there is a worst insult than that.
yeah, it's low levels, but some marine plants are gonna love it and some fish are gonna not like it.
Thanks for destroying out planet.
...and the two times in history that DC-9 guys forgot the flaps...
I'm sure there were more than two times if we include other types... :mrgreen:
I simply hope we can have discussions in obscure aviation (or agronomic or medical or musical, or etc.) fora
I once tried to learn to play guitar and failed miserably. Maybe a dummy can't play guitar :cry: ... Or maybe I'm not a dummy :ugeek: :mrgreen: .
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”