Aviate... communicate... what was that other thing?

An open discussion of aviation safety related issues.

Moderators: FrankM, el, Dmmoore

flyboy2548m

Re: Aviate... communicate... what was that other thing?

Postby flyboy2548m » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:35 pm

Did you look up Stewie Griffin?
He's a sick little bastard.

I like Brian much better and feel bad for his romantic failures toward Lois...
Brian is a little one-sided, you can generally tell what he'll say next. I like Stewie's unpredictability.
"Lav sinks on 737 Max are too small"

-TeeVee, one of America's finest legal minds.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:37 pm

...Brian is a little one-sided, you can generally tell what he'll say next...
...stuff like, if you stop to grab your brief case, I'll run you over....? wait...ummm....errrr.
Commercial Pilot, Vandelay Industries, Inc., Plant Nutrient Division.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:11 pm

Four minutes, folks. That's the magic number, apparently. Which is up from one minute.
But we'll give it six, just to make sure we're covered when Evan hears about this.

Gotta love the ironing!

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:22 pm

Didn't take much to shut him up, did it? At least in this particular case...

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:46 pm

Four minutes, folks. That's the magic number, apparently. Which is up from one minute.
But we'll give it six, just to make sure we're covered when Evan hears about this.

Gotta love the ironing!
As far as we know -and as Gabriel jokingly hinted over there-, they could have been simply scratching their heads/screaming in terror for 6 minutes and 4 seconds, before initiating a descent without any regard for procedure :mrgreen: .
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:14 am

From all the dangers of flying, landing at the wrong airport is among the ones that concerns me the least, because it happens very seldom, and because chances are that you will walk away from such a landing (perhaps after another short hop and another landing at the intended destination).
That depends. Are you landing at the wrong airport and talking to the wrong airport's tower, or landing at the wrong airport and talking to a different tower and getting clearance for a runway other than the one you're actually using, which might have traffic on it?

elaw

Postby elaw » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:18 pm

That's absolutely a valid concern... although in VFR conditions and even sometimes in IFR you're supposed to be able to "see and avoid" traffic on the runway. And likewise with traffic on the ground avoiding an incoming aircraft - but there is definitely potential there for a bad outcome.
HR consultant, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems, Inc.

flyboy2548m

Postby flyboy2548m » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:14 pm

That's absolutely a valid concern... although in VFR conditions and even sometimes in IFR you're supposed to be able to "see and avoid" traffic on the runway. And likewise with traffic on the ground avoiding an incoming aircraft - but there is definitely potential there for a bad outcome.
Somebody better tell Evanie.

Not_Karl
Previously banned for not socially distancing

Postby Not_Karl » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 pm

Are there procedures to make sure one is landing at the intended airport? :mrgreen:
International Ban ALL Aeroplanies Association, founder and president.

"I think, based on the types of aircraft listed, you're pretty much guaranteed a fiery death."
- Contemporary Poet flyboy2548m to a Foffie.

3WE

Postby 3WE » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:14 am

From all the dangers of flying, landing at the wrong airport is among the ones that concerns me the least, because it happens very seldom, and because chances are that you will walk away from such a landing (perhaps after another short hop and another landing at the intended destination).
That depends. Are you landing at the wrong airport and talking to the wrong airport's tower, or landing at the wrong airport and talking to a different tower and getting clearance for a runway other than the one you're actually using, which might have traffic on it?
...AND the Southwest Airlines guys at the Branson "Downtown" airport was a near total disaster...landing on a 3738 ft runway when you 'planned' for 7000 ft, with a steep drop off and coming to a stop on the piano keys :shock: and maybe even a tiny bit of terrain thrown in on approach.

Sure, it's not the biggest thing to be scared of, but it's textbook Swiss cheese...I'll agree with Evan "we" should not be doing that kind of thing,..you hear me Flyboy.... ;)

Indeed, my over-active imagination wants to boldly spout new procedures since I'm a long time forumite....always always always always use 'positive electronic guidance and confirmation' to the correct runway?...(at least look at the expletive magenta line!).

It's OK, I trust Flyboy and Nav...but there are idiots out there not too much smarter than me that drive airplanes too...and then there's the old fashioned, honest brain fart.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:00 am

That depends. Are you a) landing at the wrong airport and talking to the wrong airport's tower, or b) landing at the wrong airport and talking to a different tower and getting clearance for a runway other than the one you're actually using, which might have traffic on it?
In general it is b) and in general it happens in good VFR conditions when the pilots are relying more in the view out the window than in the magenta line. In these conditions typically landing planes can see conflicts on the ground and departing planes can scan the final for traffic.

How many death were there in the last 10 years for landing in the wrong runway/airport?

I foresee that people will die for wrong take-off speed/weight/length/config/runway than fro landing on the wrong runway.
Oh, wait, we already have deaths for wrong take-off speed/weight/length/config/runway.

ocelot

Postby ocelot » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:45 am

In general it is b) and in general it happens in good VFR conditions when the pilots are relying more in the view out the window than in the magenta line. In these conditions typically landing planes can see conflicts on the ground and departing planes can scan the final for traffic.
True...

Rabbi O'Genius

Postby Rabbi O'Genius » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:44 pm

......never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. – John Donne

3WE

Postby 3WE » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:40 am

Thank you, ROG.

If I may emulate Evan for a moment, I do like this procedure for this particular model of Airbus:
....always always always always use 'positive electronic guidance and confirmation' to the correct runway...
Other, type-specific procedures may be needed for different aircraft.

Just a parlour-talking thought.

Return to “Aviation Safety Discussion Forum”